SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Virginia members, please remember to get up half an hour early tomorrow and vote.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia members, please remember to get up half an hour early tomorrow and vote. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
With all the people still moving to Georgia, it’s scary to see we’re not that far behind. Frown
Please stow the gloom and doom.

Exactly. Nobody on SF is happy with what happened in VA but now is the time for people to fight the bastards, not to flee from the state.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12655 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I got an update from the VCDL today.

Please, if you live in Virginia and are not already a member, please consider joining. They do a great job representing gun owners in Virginia and need all the help they can get.
https://vcdl.org/Join-VCDL

https://mailchi.mp/520ab8375d6...forward?e=0e83af15ac

The Elections

Of the four possible results, yesterday's elections provided the worst scenario for gun owners in Virginia and one that VCDL has been warning about for almost a year.

Starting in early January, the state will be completely under Democrat control for the next two years: House, Senate, Governor, Lt. Governor, and Attorney General.

Overall the VCDL-PAC supported candidates did well. For the Senate, 75% of the VCDL-PAC endorsed candidate won. For the House, 63% of the endorsed candidates won.

Initial Analysis

While this election was supposed to be a referendum on gun control, it appears to have had much more to do with recent court redistricting, which turned six Republican districts into blue-leaning districts. Chris Jones, Dave Yancey, and Rocky Holcomb lost their redistricted seats. Chris Stolle lost his race by 18 votes! A reminder that every vote counts. However, there will be a recount in Stolle's race and things could change with such a small margin.

Strong pro-gun legislators across the state won their elections, including some in tightly contested fights, such as Amanda Chase's race for her Senate seat, Nick Freitas (as a write-in nonetheless!), Dave LaRock, Emily Bewer, and Margaret Ransome. All won handily. Speaker Kirk Cox, who had been redistricted into a much, much harder district for a Republican to win, still managed to beat down his opponent!
The same for Barry Knight.

Tim Hugo lost with his opponent getting obscene amounts of cash from out of state donors, including over $600,000 from Michael Bloomberg.

Republican Senator Glen Sturtevant, who lost, voted to support a Red Flag Law bill earlier this year, weakening his base.

Anti-gun Rosilyn Tyler almost lost her seat. Her bad voting record on guns, especially if gun control gets passed in the upcoming General Assembly session, could well catch up to her.

The Road Ahead - Playing the Hand We Were Dealt

While gun control wasn't the driving force for voters that the gun controllers hoped for, they will still use the election results and their huge debt to Bloomberg and Soros to push their gun-control agenda. Senator Dick Saslaw said as much yesterday, as he promised movement on gun control to Moms Demand Action and Everytown.

While we don't have a firewall to stop bad gun bills from becoming law, we are not helpless.

The right to keep and bear arms is an enumerated and protected right, under both the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, but also under Article 1, Section 13 of the Virginia Constitution. That leads to the next item:

The Courts can be used to block unconstitutional laws and possibly provide an injunction against such a law taking effect until a final ruling has been made. We can use state and federal courts, including the Virginia and U.S. Supreme Courts.

Moderate Democrats might not go along with some of the more extreme gun-control schemes. Those of you in their districts need to keep the pressure on them.

We can push for more Second Amendment Sanctuary Localities, like Carroll County, which will refuse to enforce unconstitutional gun laws. Sheriffs and other law enforcement have no obligation to enforce unconstitutional laws, either.

VCDL will continue to be on the offensive, pushing to restore the gun rights that have been stripped away from us over the years.

What we need:

A stronger VCDL. Our membership is up 25% since last year (we have over 8,000 members and 30,000 subscribers to VA-ALERT). That's a good start, but we need to have as many members as we possibly can get (there are over 650,000 CHP holders in this state, not to mention hunters and target shooters). Encourage your friends, family, and co-workers to join us!

Gun owners being more active and visible. Write letters to the editor. Reach out to neighbors and friends, especially those on the fence about guns. Teach non-gun owners firearms safety and then take them shooting. Talk up VCDL at your local gun range or gun club. You'll be amazed at how many members of clubs and ranges don't have a clue about VCDL.
More volunteers manning VCDL tables at gun shows and other events.

A massive Lobby Day on January 20, 2020. Take off work that day, if necessary. This time we are rallying on the Capitol steps for the first time!

VCDL is not going to back down - the fight is on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^The Democratic Party in VA sold their souls to those organizations to gain/hold power. Not to mention like groups kept them for being tarred and feathered (in a figurative way) for their past misdeeds in college, etc. that came to light this past summer for key executives. They will dance to the tune demanded of them, but this is not yet over in VA. I'm taking heart. Sent DJT 2020 a check this week.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Time to fight, y'all! It's time to "stow the doom and gloom," get our facts in order, and start making noise toward the right people.

Email, call, and snail-mail your [good] legislators. Make appointments at their offices, if possible, and have polite and pleasant talks. Let the good guys know that we're also the good guys, that we're not going to stand for tyranny or a dictatorship, and that there's no sense in punishing the law-abiding to serve the whims of the political "elites."

Stand up and fight, but be polite. Don't be the sort who gets on the news for the wrong things.

VCDL is our ally; help them to help us.

In the great words of Todd Beamer: "Let's roll."

God bless America.

Posts: 13484 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How do fight in elections where they enemy outnumbers you?

quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:
quote:
With all the people still moving to Georgia, it’s scary to see we’re not that far behind. Frown

Exactly. Nobody on SF is happy with what happened in VA but now is the time for people to fight the bastards, not to flee from the state.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
How do fight in elections where they enemy outnumbers you?

quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:
quote:

the same way they do,

tie them up in courts,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that there will be some dems out there that will not vote the party line and let all of those proposed laws pass. A lot of them from the rural areas would be committing political suicide if they do. Micro, the reason so many dems ran unopposed is demographics. A repub couldn't get elected there if the dem was dead. Look what Richmond did as stated above. BTW, I still think we are in trouble but we have to continue our fight.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Time to fight, y'all! It's time to "stow the doom and gloom," get our facts in order, and start making noise toward the right people.

Email, call, and snail-mail your [good] legislators. Make appointments at their offices, if possible, and have polite and pleasant talks. Let the good guys know that we're also the good guys, that we're not going to stand for tyranny or a dictatorship, and that there's no sense in punishing the law-abiding to serve the whims of the political "elites."

Stand up and fight, but be polite. Don't be the sort who gets on the news for the wrong things.

VCDL is our ally; help them to help us.

In the great words of Todd Beamer: "Let's roll."

It's hard not to be gloomy when the people you're fighting for pack up and go home.

The Republican Party gave up on Virginia. There were fewer Republican votes cast Tuesday than votes cast for DJT in 2016. Fewer Republican campaign workers were seen canvassing the streets than their Democrat counterparts. And, despite one radio station's efforts to present Republican candidates and their positions to the public, the Republican Party of Virginia did little to advance their cause. They even declined on-air interviews.

If effect, the GOP waved the white flag and ceded the Old Dominion to the seemingly inexorable spread of anti-American values.

One local pundit observed that Leftists are like a plague of locusts: They devastate an area and then move on to devastate another. The military term, I believe, is "scorched earth."

Many of the invaded buy into the promises of free health care, free education, free paradise. Why be happy about record low unemployment, when you don't have to work at all? Let the suckers work -- they'll just pay for your Obamaphone while you kick back and let the free money roll in!

So now, Virginia will push the ERA over the top (which has been stalled for what, 27 years? And someone tell me what rights women DON'T have?), will enact "red flag laws," ban bump stocks and "high capacity magazines," restrict gun purchases, and attempt to assert more and more control over the everyday running of our lives.

Oh, I'll push back, of course. But it seems like even if we win a battle, we're losing the war.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I was so pissed, I didn't post about this. All I could think about was moving to WV, which my wife and I have discussed before.

It's nice to see the fighting attitude from VA guys coming around. I woke up this morning thinking much the same.....Not gonna just move without getting involved in this. I am a VCDL member, but have not been active. I know I should have been before, but better right now than ever.

VCDL is going to get a donation. I am certain the upcoming legal expenses will be huge.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information on VCDL, BamaJeepster. That is exactly the kind of information we need to fight. I will be joining VCDL.

Posts: 548 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I just joined and donated to VCDL.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 110JBP:
Thank you for the information on VCDL, BamaJeepster. That is exactly the kind of information we need to fight. I will be joining VCDL.

Thanks for joining and to give credit where it is due I believe it was member VTHoky who mentioned VCDL to me when I moved to Virginia last year. They do great work in representing gun owners at the state level, a really good compliment to NRA membership on the national level.

Encourage any friends or neighbors who own guns to join the fight and help VCDL.

quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I just joined and donated to VCDL.

Awesome!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
tie them up in courts,

Yep.

Unlike CA, I think Virginia has a more "tolerant" district court. I believe the Eastern district court has a majority of Reagan, Bush, and Trump appointees. Join the VCDL, donate money to get them in court.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
You VA guys need to shove your feet up the state Republican Party’s ass ... hard. I’m sorry your state Republican Party rat fucked the VA citizenry like that.

No democratic candidate should ever get to run unopposed. I don’t care if it’s the town drunk running, make the enemy work for each and every victory. How do political professionals not understand this?

If the VA Republican are mostly Vichy Mittens Romney types, then make life unbearable for them. Deny funds, deny any sort of support and be impolite as to why. The price for your support is a state Republican Party that fights and fears no labels.

My state is practically a neighbor and I view what goes on in VA with a wary eye. When the GDC’s are done with VA, PA is next.

Posts: 3142 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
In my limited knowledge of People in Virginia, I really think overall it is still a conservative state. We are tuned to the gun issue of course, and voted to try to prevent what happened from happening.

But the trouble is not enough conservative people voted, perhaps gun control means nothing to them. And as mentioned, so many positions were un opposed. I saw that in my local county ballot. Only one candidate for Sheriff.

But the broad picture also bodes bad for history, as the Democrats of course are going to grant localities the power to remove Civil War monuments. Namely the Confederate type.

Perhaps Virginia will never have another Republician Governor. That's besides the point, but after the next couple of years, what happened in this election should never happen again.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ewills:
Yesterday, I was so pissed, I didn't post about this. All I could think about was moving to WV, which my wife and I have discussed before.

It's nice to see the fighting attitude from VA guys coming around. I woke up this morning thinking much the same.....Not gonna just move without getting involved in this. I am a VCDL member, but have not been active. I know I should have been before, but better right now than ever.

VCDL is going to get a donation. I am certain the upcoming legal expenses will be huge.

Yeah, I've cooled my jets a bit. I probably should have taken a time out and a deep breath before reacting, but what happened Tuesday night felt like walking in on your brother banging your wife, complete gut punch.

We have a plan to leave in two years already, I plan to fight back while I'm still here. It's so easy to say fuck this place, but it's been my home for my entire existence, even if I may be eventually leaving, I need to do what I can to make it better instead of whining and giving up.

I will look into VCDL and if nothing else send them a small check.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20807 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tim Hugo lost with his opponent getting obscene amounts of cash from out of state donors, including over $600,000 from Michael Bloomberg.

I can't say this enough, outside money needs to be banned. Why does this dickweed get a say in my state? Why?!?!?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20807 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

I can't say this enough, outside money needs to be banned. Why does this dickweed get a say in my state? Why?!?!?

George Soros put big money into VA too.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24054 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Fucking terrorists.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post