SIGforum
Anyone Know Anything About a "Rainbow Gathering" Group? Looks Like Trouble for North Georgia

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8660030344

June 13, 2018, 12:56 PM
220-9er
Anyone Know Anything About a "Rainbow Gathering" Group? Looks Like Trouble for North Georgia
http://southappalachiangathering2018.blogspot.com/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/art...he-rainbow-gathering

I guess I don't get out much but I've never heard of these folks before today.
They appear to be a bunch of leftist, hippies, drug users, occupy Wall Street/parents basement types and various other malcontents and they are doing their annual gathering in a nearby national forest near the Army Ranger training camp.
In spite for their claim to be nonviolent, environmentally responsible, social warriors, they seem to leave behind a lot of trash and the occasional dead body. There have also been some serious criminals attending some of the past events.

June 13, 2018, 12:59 PM
darthfuster
They are trouble. Most are peaceful beatnik counter culturalists. But their belief that everything belongs to everyone spills into society outside the cult. They take what they want without paying. Have known about them since 78.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
June 13, 2018, 01:07 PM
lkdr1989
Yep...area I grew up, they'd go into the National Forest and party it up but leave tremendous amount of trash & it'd take several yrs for the area to recover from that much pollution. Also, along with numerous assaults, a woman got murdered a number of yrs ago, basically, lawless and the useless Forest Service pretty much didn't do anything.

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
They are trouble. Most are peaceful beatnik counter culturalists. But their belief that everything belongs to everyone spills into society outside the cult. They take what they want without paying. Have known about them since 78.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV
June 13, 2018, 01:38 PM
Poacher
I'm heading to Cloudland State Park this weekend with my kids. Was going to go to Vogel, but they were booked which now appears to be lucky even though they say it won't start until the end of the month.

Seems like a viable OPFOR for the Rangers to do some training though.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt
June 13, 2018, 01:43 PM
ArtieS
We periodically have them in the Ocala National Forest in Central Florida.

They can be a real problem. My neighbors had a run-in with them a couple of years ago. Fortunately, my neighbors were in their late 20s, armed to the teeth, and mobile, so they made it out ok.

Tread carefully...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
June 13, 2018, 01:54 PM
lastmanstanding
They have been to the Superior National Forest near here several times. Vagrant pigs and leave a damn trash mess wherever they go.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton
June 13, 2018, 01:57 PM
roberth
They've been in the woods around Nederland too, always leave a huge mess and for a bunch of "peaceniks" they sure like their crime.

June 13, 2018, 02:05 PM
Sigmanic
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
They've been in the woods around Nederland too, always leave a huge mess and for a bunch of "peaceniks" they sure like their crime.

Yup, we've seen them in northern Colorado too. They're useless druggies. Former Grateful Dead groupie/vagabonds. We ran into them one time. They had buses and all kinds of other vehicles parked in a fairly remote mountain meadow. Many we're just lying around and looked stoned. Dirty, little toddlers were wandering aimlessly. It was a zombie sort of scene.
June 13, 2018, 02:11 PM
rmc85
The first two posters are right.
June 13, 2018, 02:20 PM
MikeinNC
Pikeys!

When I lived in Franklin NC (mountains) they had a gathering, damaged the National Forest, left trash and generally created disturbance wherever they go.

When I was a cop we found a few begging near the WalMart to generate money so they could get south (Fla) for work....my trainee had no clue about them. We picked them up, drove them south on I95 and left them several counties south...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
June 13, 2018, 02:39 PM
bigeinkcmo
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

Yup, we've seen them in northern Colorado too. They're useless druggies. Former Grateful Dead groupie/vagabonds. We ran into them one time. They had buses and all kinds of other vehicles parked in a fairly remote mountain meadow. Many we're just lying around and looked stoned. Dirty, little toddlers were wandering aimlessly. It was a zombie sort of scene.

Makes me wonder if that's the same group that trashed some BLM land south of Jefferson a while back. Been camping near Tarryall resevoir for a long time and when the wife and I were rolling out when drove by one of our favorite sites. Turns out whoever it was left a ridiculous amount of trash. Clothes strewn about. Chairs burned in the fire pit. Just fucked up shit. We filled our entire 16' canoe with trash and another friend loaded up his truck with as much as he could. It broke my heart seeing such disregard for the environment.
June 13, 2018, 02:47 PM
220-9er
They claim there could be as many as 20,000 and some are already there and it will last until around July 4th.
No sanitary facilities or water supply, no trash services and the authorities are reluctant to do much unless obvious violations occur and then you have to know who did what.

June 13, 2018, 02:56 PM
stoic-one
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
No sanitary facilities or water supply, no trash services and the authorities are reluctant to do much unless obvious violations occur and then you have to know who did what.
Someone needs to get ahead of these tards and put up a game camera... Of course that means the locals have to foot the jail bill for them.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/
June 13, 2018, 03:03 PM
bald1
These filthy cretins hit the Black Hills in 2015 amid large protestations about their being allowed.

https://rapidcityjournal.com/n...4e-63418c95b5d0.html

http://www.blackhillsfox.com/h...Hills-313436391.html

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
June 13, 2018, 03:17 PM
Balzé Halzé
They came to Utah a couple or more years ago. Disgusting lot. I believe it was in Heber City where dozens of that trash just walked up into a Fresh Market and started eating the produce right there without so much as an if you please. Once they had their fill they simply left.

My level of contempt for these vermin is beyond what I can express in words.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
June 13, 2018, 03:21 PM
sgalczyn
quote:
....they are doing their annual gathering in a nearby national forest near the Army Ranger training camp.

Rangers may be in need of some live artillery training.....their aim may be a little off at first Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"
June 13, 2018, 03:39 PM
Fenris
Make it rain.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
June 13, 2018, 03:50 PM
Lord Vaalic
There ought to be a bounty on hippies

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
June 13, 2018, 04:22 PM
Poacher
"Oh, I see smoke! Must be a wildfire! Call in the 747 fire bomber!"

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt
June 13, 2018, 04:33 PM
Expert308
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
Seems like a viable OPFOR for the Rangers to do some training though.

That was kind of my first thought too. Wink