SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good One Deputies!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good One Deputies! Login/Join 
posted
A murderer who refused to stay in the courtroom while the victim's family read their statements at his sentencing got to hear them on CD, on repeat, all the way to prison. Smile

Edited with more detailed article:

http://www.mlive.com/news/musk....html#incart_m-rpt-2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Palm,

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
+1. Hope he gets more than that in prison, and that his life sentence is a short one.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Outstanding work Deputies!

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
We need more Sheriffs and Deputies like these!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Why did he have the choice to stay in the courtroom, or not?

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:

The Judge said there was no law which requires a defendant to listen to a victim impact statement at sentencing. While that is technically true, it is also true that victims have a constitutional and statutory right to make a statement at sentencing, so the sentencing proceeding is not complete until they have done so, if they do choose.

The Judge has the right to control his courtroom and could have, in my opinion, forced the defendant to stay. Of course that could then create a situation where he causes such a disturbance that you have to kick him out.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:

The Judge said there was no law which requires a defendant to listen to a victim impact statement at sentencing. While that is technically true, it is also true that victims have a constitutional and statutory right to make a statement at sentencing, so the sentencing proceeding is not complete until they have done so, if they do choose.

The Judge has the right to control his courtroom and could have, in my opinion, forced the defendant to stay. Of course that could then create a situation where he causes such a disturbance that you have to kick him out.

Under the state constitution or the federal constitution?

Posts: 5160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Under the state constitution or the federal constitution?

Article 1, Section 24 of the Michigan Constitution. Sorry, should have clarified that.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm loving it!

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Well played Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
used to have a tape loop of Bad Boys I'd play if I had to do transport duty, but never more than about 20 minutes worth.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"I don't find it that important that Jeffrey Willis heard what the family had to say, but that the family knew he heard what they said," Poulin said.

Yeah. I like that.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
If ever there was a case to support the death penalty, this is it. Absolutely no remorse whatsoever - this guy is not able to be rehabilitated, so why can't we just fry him rather than spend a couple million taking care of him over the next few decades?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post