SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you cope with the grief of losing a pet?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you cope with the grief of losing a pet? Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
First of all, I wish to thank all Sig Forum members , over the years, for their comforting words when ever I posted of a loss of a pet.

So many members have also posted of their pets, and how much they cared for them, I just wanted to know do you grieve as much as I do?

It seems I spend more time with my pets than I do with my people family, as most of my pets (dogs) are outside, and I am outside most of the time.

I grieve for a long time. My Siberian Husky, Alaska died last August, 20 years old, and there isn't a day that goes by that I do not grieve and think/ be sad about him passing.

I don't think I am abnormal in doing so. I think its just the impact and depth of friendship I had with my pets.

Does it happen with you?

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I lost my Coco after 26 years almost 6 years ago.
I miss her every day. It never really gets better.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I had to put my two boy kitties down after 18 years. I don't think about them every day, but when I do think about them, it still gets to me. My mom had to put her Collie down over 50 years ago...it still bothers her. It's normal to miss them and feel saddened that they had to meet their demise. But be gladdened and comforted that you gave them a warm, loving, comfortable life and home for as long as you could. After all...they are God's creation.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I had a GSD / Chow mix and I was seriously bummed for a long time. My wife got another puppy pretty quickly but I wasn't ready.

I still miss that dog

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I lost my two labs in the same week. It also happened to be the same week that the ex moved out with her two cats that I had liked very much. 5 animals down to just one cat. My favorite. She died a year later from cancer. Now have two cats and one is my new favorite. As much as I love the damn cat, I truly hope I outlive her.

Edited to add: I think about those lost animals at times. But, I'd rather spend that time with the ones with me now.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Sunset_VA my best advice is to replace the lost pet with another one that is as similar as possible. Select the same breed, similar color, etc. but young and healthy.

It will never really take the place of your lost pet, but will become a new best friend to you. You will always remember your lost pets.

I forced myself to do this when I lost my previous pet (it is kind of hard to do when you are still grieving). I now wish I had done it earlier.

My best to you - I know your pain.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never have gotten over the loss of my pets. We have not had children, so the dogs are our kids. I grieve often for the 1st one I had, that was over 20 years ago.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have Border Collies. Currently Scout (male, 10 months) and Gracie (13 years). One year ago tomorrow (3/31/17) I put down Jackie, Gracie’s father. He was 15. An incredible dog and friend. It pains me every time I think of him. We move on but we dont “get over it”.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I watched this recently and was absolutely gob smacked by the truth of it. I'm talking shook me to my core. I'm trying this in my life and I'm stunned by how much it really works

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/-kBk0cleO6M

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
I think that when you feel and see a true bonding and loyalty and love from from your pet, it becomes impossible not to grieve at their passing.

I know I do...

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
You grieve. You simply cannot avoid it, especially if you’ve put in the emotional investment and it’s been returned, typically tenfold, by that pet. I’ve had several pets over the years, and I miss them all.
I’m terrified of losing one of my birds, because I’ve never lost a parrot in all the years I’ve had them. I don’t know how I’ll deal. I’ve had them since I was pretty much a kid. A few dogs I was ok with going..they’d had a great life, or a much greater one since they’d come home with me than otherwise. But a couple dogs I still ache over... the ones that truly believed you were the be all and end all..oh, those little girls I still miss terribly.
All you can do is cherish the memories. And start the search when you’re ready. I wouldn’t go for the looks as much as the personality.. and that usually comes in the same breed.
I’ve found a boy dog I adore, and never would have gotten a boy, but no girls were available in that litter. He’s not quite as spunky, but sweet? Couldn’t find a sweeter temper. Good luck to you.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think of the time we were together and how all of our lives were better for it. Dwelling on the loss isn't healthy IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Surrounded by
Fruit Loops
Picture of Baran
posted Hide Post
We lost 2 dogs this past year, it always hurts. We have found that getting a new rescue pup or adult dog can go a long way to helping.
While not a replacement dog, they all have those quirks that make them lovable. There are millions of dogs in shelters waiting to be rescued. The new dog will love you just as much as your missed buddy and soon you will also love him in his own way.

Dogs are great, the longest we have not had a dog in our house is 30 years. We have had as many as 4 of our own and as few as one.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Happy Valley, MA | Registered: November 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s tough. I still miss the hell out of my cat Pre. That cat was hilarious and was with me during a very dark period in my life. He only lived to be 4 which is even more sad. He just started getting sick one day and it got worse and worse, vet couldn’t figure it out and his cough just kept getting worse. He died in his sleep. It’s pretty rough for me to even think about.

With my dogs, they all lived long happy lives so I get some comfort out of knowing that they were loved and cared for for the entirety of their lives but he thing about pets is that they never live long enough, for that reason I do my best to spoil my animals.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I grieved for a short while when my oldest cat, Rusty, died at age 8. He weighed 26 1/2 pounds and was the ruler of the roost (6 other cats). I did not have time to mourn for long, though, because my other 6 cats need me.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I think of the time we were together and how all of our lives were better for it. Dwelling on the loss isn't healthy IMO.

I miss my Morgan, but this. And our family members would tell and want the same.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
There is a Siberian out there waiting for you to rescue him or her.

You'll know when you meet.

But ya hafta start looking.

It is not a replacement.

Just as a dog will find a new place to dig a hole in a yard that has never been dug before, so it will find a spot in your heart that has been untouched.

Easter/Passover is a perfect time to begin a new journey.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Watching them go is not easy at all. But I will still spoil as many as possible while I am here.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
We have a couple nice stones set in the ground at the top of the hill that is our back yard. One has been there for almost twenty years, the other five. I go up the hill every day.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my cat Bob died after 12 years, I was not prepared for the void he left. My place was silent. No cat noises. I could not stand it. I went to the local rescue organization and was adopted by Bobs successor. He would have wanted it that way.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post