SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Army to eliminate grenade-throwing requirement
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army to eliminate grenade-throwing requirement Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Of course this has nothing to do with gender…

“The Army says that starting next summer it will remove the requirement from its Basic Combat Training because it takes too much time to teach enlistees to throw grenades at an adequate distance.

‘What we have found is it is taking far, far too much time,’ said Maj. Gen. Malcolm Frost, the commanding general of the US Army Center of Initial Military Training.
‘It's taking three to four times as much time ... just to qualify folks on the hand grenade course than we had designated so what is happening …is it is taking away from other aspects of training

‘We are finding that there are a large number of trainees that come in that quite frankly just physically don't have the capacity to throw a hand grenade 20 to 25 to 30 meters,’ he said.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...nade-far-enough.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

No more "Rock Back! Pull Pin! THROW!"?

Sad.......

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
How far is 30 meters? is it over 20 yards? Cuz I can throw a football about that far.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So grenade throwing is no longer required in warfare? Fantastic. Roll Eyes

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Next they will just stop fighting wars. Because it’s hard and all.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Might be removed during basic training but not infantry school. No biggie...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
How far is 30 meters? is it over 20 yards? Cuz I can throw a football about that far.

Up your IQ man.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:

Spoilsport. Just when we were working up a good amount of outrage.

It may well be about gender, but as long as the ground pounders learn, it doesn't seem to matter. If a radar tech learns in basic, won't he probably will not have retained too much in the way of grenade throwing skill a year out of basic, will he?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
30 meters is 98 feet. That's a decent distance though I've always thought it's not throwing that makes it hard, it's the way you're "supposed" to throw it. It's not like throwing a baseball. I use the 2 seam or 4 seam grip on a baseball to throw it. The Army teaches you to grip the grenade with your entire hand, do a Hulk Hogan pointing towards your target and cocking your throwing hand back near your ear.

With the 40mm grenade launcher more prevalent now, isn't the grenade kind of outdated? I carried a M67 but found little use for it so I gave it to one of my Soldiers.

Maybe in certain urban environments it's useful but is it practical in most ranges where the enemy would engage us?

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is my thought too. Combat arms will get it in AIT. It's just not something that's gonna hamper Private Snowflake from graduating basic. Gotta remember, most of the new army is used to sitting on their asses and twiddling their thumbs, not going outside to throw baseballs and footballs.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Better not to throw a grenade than to throw it too short, I suppose. I do feel disapponted about the physical condition of the recruits.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:

Up your IQ man.

Rhino I was making the point that basic throwing skills, which I would say a football 20 yards would be, is fairly simple. I did indeed make it read dumber than intended, but still, not being able to throw a small hand sized item 20 yards well... I'm not sure I want you defending my cornflakes, let alone the country. I got expectations ya know?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pathetic.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall hearing some of the complaints (observations Cool) amongst basic instructors was there's a fair number of recruits that besides not having much athleticism, can't throw worth a damn.

If it's taking up too much time...what are they making up that time with?

This at Basic level, not big deal, hopefully that time is taken up with more rifle time or, ruck time. If it was at AIT...then there's a problem.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Spoilsport. Just when we were working up a good amount of outrage.

It may well be about gender, but as long as the ground pounders learn, it doesn't seem to matter. If a radar tech learns in basic, won't he probably will not have retained too much in the way of grenade throwing skill a year out of basic, will he?

First off throwing a grenade isn’t exactly a skill that goes away after a year. It’s been 20 or so since I’ve thrown one and I’m pretty confident I could do so today. So the only way that radar tech won’t know how to throw a grenade a year after basic is if he never learned in the first place.

Second, any outrage you think you detect is probably more because of the fact that the army is giving up on it because it’s too hard. If they made the decision based on their experiences that it’s an unnecessary skill for every soldier in today’s Army then fine. But that’s not the expressed reason. They are quitting the practice because it’s too hard for some recruits. And that’s pretty sad IMHO.

But at least the PowerPoint presentations on diversity and graduation rates will look nicer I guess. Maybe congress will reward them with enough money to do another round of evaluations for anew rifle cartridge.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It should be removed from basic, and put in AIT for units where grenades are issued. Since we maintain qual records, "grenade" should go on the qual record with rifle, pistol, m249, m60, m2, etc. If a soldier is deployed to a unit where grenade is a required qual, then hold a range and qualify them.

When I went through OBC, back in the early '90s, they had eliminated grenade and cratering charge from the curriculum, but we did rifle, pistol, m60 and AT4. Go figure.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was the best part of basic.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
You will still be taught to throw a grenade in basic.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I don't know how it is taught today but in '67' when I was in basic you had to practice a number of times with a dummy grenade before throwing a live one. If you couldn't master the dummies then you weren't given a live one.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly this is another effort to lower standards to make the military more 'do-able' by females.

Make no mistake.

How can anyone 'fail' when there is no graded standard?

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post