SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018 Mercedes Benz G-Class 4x4,
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018 Mercedes Benz G-Class 4x4, Login/Join 
posted
WHo has driven one or ridden in one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AwtKUiVvDA

is the highway street ride as nice as a Lexus LX470 ?

does the truck know when it needs an off road suspension or a street suspension?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The G-wagen is my grail SUV.

Talking to my sales guy when I bought my C300, and from car-mag reviews online. The new G is completely redesigned & much more comfortable on road.

The few that I've been in (stationary) it definitely feels a bit more utilitarian than the majority of MB products, but still luxurious.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Lexus and MB are not really comparable in ride type, Lexus has generally been a smoother riding vehicle, MB has that taut euro ride, nice, smooth but firmer IE German...

Of course it depends on your idea of smooth both are good, just different, ...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They really put a nice trim level on that Wrangler Unlimited!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A G wagon or old school Land Rover defender have always been my grail 4x4’s but short of winning the lottery never going to happen. When deployed in Iraq and later Afghanistan many of the European units were using either of the above uparmored as patrol vehicles. The G I saw in Iraq with armor and rpg cages would be the one souvenir I would have loved to ship home. My unit somehow ended up with a thin skin defender for driving on the FOB and that would have been a nice one too.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kinda like that.

Sell the house, sleep in the truck.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Our local dealer, in Jackson of all places, had one of the GL550 4x4^2 trucks last fall. Now THAT was pretty remarkable. I may have drooled on it, but all from the outside.

A little pricey at nearly a quarter-mil.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Our local dealer, in Jackson of all places, had one fo the GL550 4x4^2 trucks last fall. Now THAT was pretty remarkable. I may have drooled on it, but all from the outside.

A little pricey at nearly a quarter-mil.

I've seen 3 driving around Houston. 1 in that lime green color.
Definitely makes the standard G-wagen look like a simpleton.
Looks so much more aggressive in person than photos really show.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
A G wagon or old school Land Rover defender have always been my grail 4x4’s but short of winning the lottery never going to happen. When deployed in Iraq and later Afghanistan many of the European units were using either of the above uparmored as patrol vehicles. The G I saw in Iraq with armor and rpg cages would be the one souvenir I would have loved to ship home. My unit somehow ended up with a thin skin defender for driving on the FOB and that would have been a nice one too.

The up-armor G Wagon was cool I bet!

What I wanted (that would actually be affordable) was the diesel 4x4 crew cab Ford Rangers the Afghan Army used. Flat tan paint, black bumpers and roll bars. Loved those things.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Go for it with a G63 all you need is a cool million...

Der linkerthinky

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
the Lexus LX series are nice and very capable off-road but they really aren't comparable to a G-wagon. The Merc does everything better, and by a good bit, imo.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

does the truck know when it needs an off road suspension or a street suspension?
I'm sorry, but that vehicle is obviously not for you. Anyone who would refer to a Mercedes SUV as a 'truck'...come on. Razz Big Grin

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

I'm sorry, but that vehicle is obviously not for you. Anyone who would refer to a Mercedes SUV as a 'truck'...come on. Razz Big Grin

Omitting the smileys at the end of your statement.

Pretty sure the G is more 'truck' than most SUVs.
Body-on-frame, 4x4, 3 locking diffs, 9 inches of suspension travel on the non 4x4^2 models. . .
Also only just got independent suspension (front only) with the 2018 'redesign'.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Also only just got independent suspension (front only) with the 2018 'redesign'.
Damn, what do you expect for $125k+. Razz I have a uber wealthy neighbor who had a G-Wagon for a while, and he now describes it as "...the most absurd vehicle anyone would ever want to buy. Horrible ride quality, lousy overall ergonomics, insane price tag, and every gang banger's wet dream." He now leases a Range Rover and appears much happier with it.

And by design, the G-Wagon might meet the truck definition, but the owners of these things would no more view them, or use them, as a truck than I would attempt to use another neighbor's CRV as a truck.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Damn, what do you expect for $125k+. Razz I have a uber wealthy neighbor who had a G-Wagon for a while, and he now describes it as "...the most absurd vehicle anyone would ever want to buy. Horrible ride quality, lousy overall ergonomics, insane price tag, and every gang banger's wet dream." He now leases a Range Rover and appears much happier with it.

And by design, the G-Wagon might meet the truck definition, but the owners of these things would no more view them, or use them, as a truck than I would attempt to use another neighbor's CRV as a truck.

Definitely agree with the last line.

My last job, the president of the company had a G55 AMG, and could easily afford to drive it.
Instead, she drove her GL450 90% of the time. She said the G55 averaged about 16-18MPG on the highway Eek

The new ones don't do much better on the MPG front, and as you say, are rarely if ever taken off of pavement.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
My last job, the president of the company had a G55 AMG, and could easily afford to drive it.
Instead, she drove her GL450 90% of the time. She said the G55 averaged about 16-18MPG on the highway Eek

The new ones don't do much better on the MPG front, and as you say, are rarely if ever taken off of pavement.
Personally, every time I see a G-Wagon, my neighbor's quote about them being "every gang banger's wet dream" comes to mind and I start to snicker.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
She said the G55 averaged about 16-18MPG on the highway Eek

that's a good bit better than my truck. and that G55 has almost 500 hp, what would you expect it to get?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
This is my grail SUV as well. Perhaps a Brabus version...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I own a 2017 G550. It is the same as the 2018 models. I love my GWagen, but I love it for what it is. Even though it's tall with a lot of head room, there really isn't a ton of interior space. It handles very truck like. While the ride is soft and comfortable , especially in comfort mode, there are definitely more plush riding SUVs out there. Having said all that, this thing is a tank. It's built like an old Willys Jeep underneath (a good thing). The doors shut with authority and when the doors lock it sounds like a rifle bolt closing. The fantastic V8 is made to sound superb through the side pipe exhaust. I love it because it's a bit of a throwback. And I also get comments about it all the time.

Having said all that, if you just want a capable luxury SUV, where absolute comfort is the highest priority there are better options. The Land Cruiser and Lexus version are both excellent SUV's and somewhat of a throwback in their own way, but not nearly like a GWagen. There's definitely more interior space, and a more supple suspension, while still remaining quite capable off road. But they're nothing like the land cruisers of old, and to me weren't as appealing for what I wanted.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Omitting the smileys at the end of your statement.

Pretty sure the G is more 'truck' than most SUVs.
Body-on-frame, 4x4, 3 locking diffs, 9 inches of suspension travel on the non 4x4^2 models. . .

The redesign was for the 2019 model year. The 2018 models still have the same identical specs as the 2017 models.

And for the sake of adding discussion, I actually brought my Pronovost P920-98 tractor mounted Snowblower home from Quebec on a trailer towed by my GWagen. It actually tows pretty well and had plenty of power. It's actually rated to tow like 8500 pounds. I would have preferred to take my wife's Raptor, but that vehicle was in for repairs for much longer than anticipated and I couldn't wait to pick up the Snowblower. I did get quite a few odd looks, especially at the tractor dealer, but I didn't mind. I should probably mention for those of you who don't care to look up what a Pronovost P920-98 looks like, that the blower weighs 1800 pounds and clears a path 98" wide by 40" tall. That was probably the most utility that a typical G class has been used for in a while

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post