SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft Office Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft Office Question Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
You can use Office versions back to 2000 to open/edit "x" files (docx, xlsx, pptx) by adding the MS Office Compatibility Pack: https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...ad/details.aspx?id=3

Note that MS will no longer provide the pack for download, nor update it for security, as of April 2018. So if you want to continue using an old version of Office beyond that date, keep a copy of the installer in a safe place.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
PS .... everyone knows if you look hard enough on the Internet you can find those "spectacular" deals.
There are no shortage of those deals > and they may even work.
However, the vast majority are not legit, legal or authorized by MS.
I won't go into how they provide them but I am sure a lot of people don't have a problem with buying your TV or whatever out of a trunk of a car from a stranger in the alley either.

YMMV

I have no idea what the story is other than what this guy says. He has 100% positive feedback and says it is legit.

Do you know more about this? I'd be interested to hear if you do. Microsoft is EXTREMELY good about blocking fake keys. Ebay is great about removing fakes as well.

Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus Genuine License Key

From the listing...

We comply with eBay and Microsoft terms and conditions, the License Keys for sale here are sourced from Microsoft Company. These License Key can be used on Microsoft Website to activate and download the software

* Questions and Answers:

Q: Is this a trial key or will the key expire?

A: No, this is not a trial key. They key is lifetime use.

Q: Where do the keys come from?

A: The keys are issued directly from Microsoft

Q: Will the key pass Microsoft's Window Genuine Advantage (WGA)?

A: Yes, the key will pass WGA as they key is issued directly from Microsoft

Q: Will the key allow for product updates?

A: Yes, the key will allow for product updates for the life of the computer or installation.

Q: Will the key allow for tech support from Microsoft?

A: Yes, the key will allow for telephone or online chat support from Microsoft Support Team.

Q: Can I put this License Key into my own Microsoft Account?

A: Yes, this is official License Key from Microsoft so you can put into your own Microsoft Account.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
You can readily buy cheap keys, fully legally.

I'll never give a penny for a subscription model, nor would I ever pay retail.

And just about any version of Office from the past many years will work fine in almost all cases, though I stick with LibreOffice nowadays because it does everything I need for free, and I haven't seen a new feature I gave a shit about in several years.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:

I have no idea what the story is other than what this guy says. He has 100% positive feedback and says it is legit.

Do you know more about this? I'd be interested to hear if you do.
Microsoft is EXTREMELY good about blocking fake keys.
Ebay is great about removing fakes as well.

Of course that is what he is going to say.
Like I said before I won't go into how they provide them but don't you think $10 for a current product that sells for circa $375 (OEM) and bit more for retail to be a bit suspicious? Eek

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Office 365 is $70 for a yearly subscription.

That's $5.83 a month.

I would not waste time with 2000.

THIS!

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
We also do the office 365 subscription for all of our work computers.

Added bonus: When something doesn't work right, that couple of dollars a month brings tech support.

We do the same with adobe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well it turns out that my purchase of 2010 Office Professional Plus is a dead end. Through my employer (and I'm no longer with them) I paid for and received an email with the key code thing. I never received a disk in the mail to install it. I guess I waited way too long to do this. The email receipt of purchase told me to forward that email to my home email and download it there. When I click the link in the email to download 2010, it takes me to a Mircosoft site and asks for my work email. It's a dead end as far as I can tell. If I just had a disk with 2010 Office Professional Plus I'd be good to go, but I never received one.

Thank you all for your advice. I'll look at my options and figure out what to do. I may very well to with Libre Office as mentioned above. Or I might just do the yearly subscription. I do have the Office 2000 installed so I might just see if that will work well enough to get me by.

Gene

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Well it turns out that my purchase of 2010 Office Professional Plus is a dead end. Through my employer (and I'm no longer with them) I paid for and received an email with the key code thing. I never received a disk in the mail to install it. I guess I waited way too long to do this. The email receipt of purchase told me to forward that email to my home email and download it there. When I click the link in the email to download 2010, it takes me to a Mircosoft site and asks for my work email. It's a dead end as far as I can tell. If I just had a disk with 2010 Office Professional Plus I'd be good to go, but I never received one.

Thank you all for your advice. I'll look at my options and figure out what to do. I may very well to with Libre Office as mentioned above. Or I might just do the yearly subscription. I do have the Office 2000 installed so I might just see if that will work well enough to get me by.

Gene

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...ware-download/office

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Gene

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u...ware-download/office

Thanks for that, but it won't work. I get an error that says it's an enterprise thing and to contact the group. Since I no longer work there, it's of no use. Appreciate it anyway.
Error

The product key you entered appears to be for software licensed through an Enterprise Agreement. Please contact the Home Use Program for software recovery options.

I'll probably limp along on 2000 or download the Libre Office.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post