SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft Office Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft Office Question Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I've been using Open Office, because it's free, and I didn't want to go spend $$$ on Microsoft Office.

I've been having some strange issues with Open Office, getting frustrated.

I was cleaning out an old file cabinet and found my Microsoft Office 2000 CD, in the jewel case with the product key.

Can I load up and use Microsoft Office 2000, will it work with whatever is being used now? Or is it too out of date to be effective?

I just really don't want to have to pay to get a new current copy of Office.

Thanks!

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
IMO, Office 2K is a bit long in the tooth. But it depends what you're doing with your XLS, DOC and PPT files. Are you sharing files back and forth with other co-workers or just need something for home? New versions (2016, 2011, 2007) can read 2000 files, but the reverse will require a reader from Microsoft, not too sure if they provide one anymore. I use 2010 and 2016 suites.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Office 365 is $70 for a yearly subscription.

That's $5.83 a month.

I would not waste time with 2000.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I bought a license for Office 2016 Pro from this site:
https://www.scdkey.com/office2...-global_1530-20.html

Use "SKTECH7" to get the price down under $25.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
A buddy just bought several license keys for Office 2016 off ebay and paid less than $10 each. They were actual keys that this person owned and they all worked perfectly. The guy had great reviews.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
A buddy just bought several license keys for Office 2016 off ebay and paid less than $10 each. They were actual keys that this person owned and they all worked perfectly. The guy had great reviews.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:

Doubtful they were legit or legal if it makes any difference to you.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I just looked and there are lots of Office 2016 Professional Plus keys on ebay for around $11-$12 each. The one I looked at stated the keys came directly from Microsoft.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm still using office 2000. Still works... still not willing to hand Microsoft more money unnecessarily.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I switched from OpenOffice to LibreOffice a while ago. It seems to be updated more and I've seen no issues saving documents in the Office formats (.docx, .xlsx, etc) and sharing with others.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
quote:

Doubtful they were legit or legal if it makes any difference to you.
Actually it does. I'll pass on anything shady.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I kept thinking I'd bought Office 2010 through my old employer but never got it. I did an email search and found the emailed receipt and code. Now I'll see if I can still download and activate it. I guess 2010 is still kind of old but may work well enough for me. At least this is a legitimate deal.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I really hate the new subscription model many software companies are adopting. I'd rather pay in full once and use the software as long as I want.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Hell, I am using O 2007. It works fine. Newer versions typically offer the ability to read/write older versions of the output files.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
quote:
I kept thinking I'd bought Office 2010 through my old employer but never got it. I did an email search and found the emailed receipt and code. Now I'll see if I can still download and activate it. I guess 2010 is still kind of old but may work well enough for me. At least this is a legitimate deal.
Basic or Pro? If you are unable to download, I believe I still have a copy of the install CD.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I'll see if I can still download and activate it. I guess 2010 is still kind of old but may work well enough for me. At least this is a legitimate deal.

I have 2010 in several computers and it is still perfectly fine, very much viable in today's work office. I also have some computers with 2016, and frankly only a little different from 2010.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Office 365 is $70 for a yearly subscription.

That's $5.83 a month.

I would not waste time with 2000.

This yearly subscription horseshit is just a money grab. What idiot signs up for this shit?

My Office 2010 enterprise edition, bought through my employer was $10 or $20, 7 years ago.

That averages out to 20 cents a month.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
FWIW, 2010 is the best version before they went to the new W10-like interface.
I have a lot of clients prefer that to the new one especially if they are used to previous versions and or on W7.
2013/16 does work a bit better but nominally so.
Version 2007 was the absolute worst with the most bloat > 2010 or newer are much better.
YMMV

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Money grab or not, subscription or stealing will be you options.

And for what it's worth, I use O365 in our organization, and each user has the ability to install on 5 devices, so several install on a couple of personal systems, and it costs them nothing. Since the company is paying for the license in any instance, it costs the company no more.

And to get a proper perspective, software is much like a vehicle being a depreciating asset, and buying or leasing.

Paying upwards of $500 for a license that will eventually lose support, as well as becoming dated and often a pain in the ass to down-level save or ask others to do the same so you can share data vs the yearly subscription that is always updated to current release and constantly patched for exploits, it would take you nearly 6-7 years to break even with the (then)"dated" purchased license.

And finally, no one with a licensed product "owns" anything but the permission to use it.

So if you are paying for that permission, does it matter is you are paying monthly, yearly or a lump sum every time you buy a system or choose to upgrade?

I was against subscription licensing in the beginning, but it make great sense, easier to manage, lower overall cost and constantly current. I can add a drop licenses in a minute, so it is a great thing for the company.

Things change, sometimes for the better and sometimes not, but the only thing that remains the same is change.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I really hate the new subscription model many software companies are adopting. I'd rather pay in full once and use the software as long as I want.

You can do this with MS Office it is offered in a Retail Package as well as an OEM version for new computers.

PS .... everyone knows if you look hard enough on the Internet you can find those "spectacular" deals.
There are no shortage of those deals > and they may even work.
However, the vast majority are not legit, legal or authorized by MS.
I won't go into how they provide them but I am sure a lot of people don't have a problem with buying your TV or whatever out of a trunk of a car from a stranger in the alley either.

YMMV