SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stuff on Medical Records that I don't like/Agree with. Is this normal/can it be changed?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuff on Medical Records that I don't like/Agree with. Is this normal/can it be changed? Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
... Don't read to much into the tone of "denies". That's just typical charting language.

Absolutely this.

Thanks for the responses, it makes me feel better that this is normal in the industry. It was for heart issues/heart attack at a relatively young age. I remember them asking me in the ER about drugs, which I don't do. Just rubbed me the wrong way reading that today, the way is was written. Instead of "patient denies cocaine use", I would have preferred "no signs of drug use", but I'm not in the field.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:It was for heart issues/heart attack at a relatively young age. I remember them asking me in the ER about drugs, which I don't do. Just rubbed me the wrong way reading that today, the way is was written. Instead of "patient denies cocaine use", I would have preferred "no signs of drug use", but I'm not in the field.

That makes perfect sense. In the medical world, a "sign" is something actually observable by the clinician. In your case(heart attack at an unusually young age), cocaine use had to be included in the differential diagnosis. Your telling them that wasn't the case was part of the medical history that contributed to the final diagnosis.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
Had a chance to look at some medical records of myself. There is a statement, something to the effect of "patient denies Cocaine use". I'm concerned that first, it makes it look like they had suspected me of it and second, that the statement is standing relatively alone with no context. There is another thing about smoking that isn't correctly stated and placed without context. I'm concerned that if someone where to look at that, it would give them the wrong impression of me. Anybody deal with this before?

Chart addendum: Patient questions authority. Displays paranoid tendencies. States care providers incorrect. Believes others are out to get him. Recommend 90-day involuntary evaluation/monitoring at Shady Hills Care Facilty. Will get orders to care and apprehension team ASAP.

Funny, because there was a part later on from a different visit that was more observation of me. Something like clean, dry skin, normal mood, well nourished, speech is good, normal behavior, alert and aware and oriented to surroundings.

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for the responses, it makes me feel better that this is normal in the industry. It was for heart issues/heart attack at a relatively young age. I remember them asking me in the ER about drugs, which I don't do. Just rubbed me the wrong way reading that today, the way is was written. Instead of "patient denies cocaine use", I would have preferred "no signs of drug use", but I'm not in the field.

Anyone who presented into my ER with heart issues/heart attack would have been asked specifically about drugs/medications (inhaler abuse, caffeine, etc.) that could cause those issues as well as other risk factors.

As Dr. House says "patients lie" - not all, but many do.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
quote:

Anyone who presented into my ER with heart issues/heart attack would have been asked specifically about drugs/medications (inhaler abuse, caffeine, etc.) that could cause those issues as well as other risk factors.

As Dr. House says "patients lie" - not all, but many do.

See. Thats exactly why it rubbed me the wrong way. "Patient denies"....wink wink.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead of "patient denies cocaine use", I would have preferred "no signs of drug use", but I'm not in the field.

Interestingly, the portion you object to is true, while your preferred notation would not be.

Denial doesn't mean there aren't any signs, if there hadn't been any indications of possible drug use, the doctor wouldn't have asked.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
... Don't read to much into the tone of "denies". That's just typical charting language.

Absolutely this.

"patient denies cocaine use" - That belongs properly in the history section of the chart.

"no signs of drug use" - This belongs in the examination section, if he had examined you for signs of drug use.

The 2 phrases are not interchangeable, in medical charting. Wink

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Just happened to be reading this stuff today.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny, because there was a part later on from a different visit that was more observation of me. Something like clean, dry skin, normal mood, well nourished, speech is good, normal behavior, alert and aware and oriented to surroundings.

Doctors write something very similar to indicate that there is no abnormality noted in a number of areas. Sounds funny, but absolutely common.

For the rest--just as my colleague 12131 said.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
A nasty HOA letter, will carry more weight.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
AIR, the feds get copies of a LOT of medical records, simply as a matter of course. I do remember from some time ago about a small shit storm over the feds collecting our medical info.
Really? How about info from a reputable source that supports that claim.

Roll Eyes

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post