SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should we be concerned with the possibility of Gillum beating DeSantis in Florida?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should we be concerned with the possibility of Gillum beating DeSantis in Florida? Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted
Is there a possibility? Or is it unlikely? Your thoughts?

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
He's been the mayor of Tallahassee since 2014. The city government is under a corruption probe by the FBI. Of course, he says he's innocent, but they all do. Leftists pull off the doe-eyed innocent look especially well, but I doubt this will go away before November.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't even hear about him until a a couple weeks prior to the election and the next thing I know, he is the Dem. pick. I hope Desantis can pull it together after his last choice of words. I don't believe what he said was meant to be racist but the libs will swing it that way. Gillum wants free everything and restrictions on everything else. The left is truly insane.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I think Gillum is too far off the left end of the scale for many of Fl Democrats to vote for. His message seems to be “all free shit all the time”.

I think DeSantis will really have to work at screwing it up enough for Gillum to win.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3838 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
McConnell is the king of dirty campaigns and Gillum will be squashed like a bug. No way RNC will monkey this up. All Desantis has to do is sit back and let the turtle do his stuff.

Round 1:

https://www.breitbart.com/big-...osing-as-developers/
FTA:
A story from Tallahassee Reports published Thursday offers details about an FBI investigation into possible corruption in the city of Tallahassee while Andrew Gillum, the Democratic nominee in Florida’s upcoming gubernatorial election, was mayor.
According to the story by Steve Stewart, FBI agents posing as developers made payments to Andrew Gillum’s brother, Marcus Gillum, as part of an effort to show they were seeking business with the city of Tallahassee.

“The payments were said to be in the thousands of dollars per month,” Stewart wrote. “The length of the engagement was not known.” ...

Posts: 4679 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Isn't that the guy that wants more gun control and to raise taxes to 40 percent on businesses? I don't think he has a chance though Soros and another billionaire are pumping a lot of money into his campaign.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I hope Desantis can pull it together after his last choice of words. I don't believe what he said was meant to be racist but the libs will swing it that way.

Pull it together? Desantis can say what he said a thousand times and then a thousand times more and the thought "racist" would never even enter my head. Democrats are disgusting with this inane nonsense. I'm sick of this phony racist bull!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30295 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
He will have to overcome the Hispanic vote and rural Florida vote, and the military and friendly vote, especially the panhandle. Florida's economy is roaring under Scott, that goes a long way. I don't think the Democrat party has the juice to overcome that but we have to get out and vote in November.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should we be concerned with the possibility...

Of course we should we be concerned with the possibility. Every leftist is dangerous. Leftists will do anything to take what they have not earned. They all want to take your property.

See the threads on South Africa and Venezuela for reasons why you should be concerned.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23941 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sick of this phony racist bull!

They way overplayed it. Twenty years ago "racist!" exploded in the air. Now, it does not even pop. It's the tired fart of a hack with nothing else to say.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I think it shows the disarray the Democratic Party is in in Florida. He wasn’t supposed to be close. They had a Daughter of a former Democratic Governor that was supposed to be a shoe in. There is quiet panic about the lack of enthusiasm for a Female Democratic candidate.

Some of them are saying they lost the Governership with her defeat. Gillem is a caricature if a corrupt mayor better suited to Chicago politics.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Agree that DeSantis will have to work hard to lose this. Republicans outnumbered Democrats in voting numbers in the primaries so as long as we get out and vote, I am confident he will win. With the way Gillum is running his campaign and the success of Rick Scott's administration, I will bet there will be some Dem defectors voting DeSantis as well.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well I just moved here - so I hope not

(add 2 more 'R' votes)

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the Miami Herald which I assume is a leftist leaning paper:

Andrew Gillum and the FBI investigation that has become a battering ram for the GOP

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...r-the-gop/ar-BBMSYJw

TALLAHASSEE - When Andrew Gillum won the Democratic gubernatorial primary in a stunning upset last week, it catapulted the small capital city's mayor - and his unabashedly progressive, Bernie-Sanders-backed platform - into the national political spotlight overnight.

But his victory has also brought that bright glare to a years-long, ongoing federal probe of alleged public corruption in Tallahassee involving development deals and City Hall, which is expected to remain a major battering ram for the GOP against the unexpected Democratic nominee.

Though speculation has outpaced publicly released evidence around the probe - which appears to have narrowed in on several prominent locals including a former Gillum ally and a city commissioner - Republican strategists began leveraging it against Gillum just moments after he was anointed to lead the Democrats' state ticket.

Gillum has repeatedly said he was told by the FBI that he is not the target of its investigation and, after meeting with the Florida Commission on Ethics Tuesday morning, he released receipts from two trips he took that have drawn attention because of the probe.

The FBI and U.S. Attorney's office have consistently issued no-comment statements about the investigation. Since Gillum won the primary, both have continued to decline to comment.

Former FBI agents don't believe there will be any definitive action on the case before Election Day.

"They don't want to get accused with influencing the outcome of the election," said Chris Quick, a former special agent who specialized in white-collar crimes and now runs a private investigations firm. "The last thing they want is more criticism."

Absent an exoneration or indictment, the miasma of impropriety is certain to continue to feed criticism of Gillum throughout the general election.

The story of the FBI investigation long preceded Gillum's decision in early 2017 to run for governor. According to the Tallahassee Democrat, agents came to town as early as 2015, acting as businessmen looking at investments in the city. Under the pseudonyms Mike Sweets, Mike Miller and Brian Butler, they interacted for months with local officials and their partners, including longtime Gillum friend and lobbyist Adam Corey.

According to documents requested by the investigation and made public by the city, the part of the sprawling probe that's likely most relevant to Gillum has focused on Corey, a college friend who also briefly served as volunteer treasurer of Gillum's mayoral run in 2014, and development deals involving the city's community redevelopment agency.

In 2013, the Community Redevelopment Agency voted to give more than $2.1 million in taxpayer funds to renovate the Edison, a downtown restaurant project Corey co-owns. Gillum voted with the rest of his fellow city commissioners - who sit on the CRA - to fund it, which raised eyebrows at the time. Under the city's form of government, Gillum is not a "strong mayor" and is one of five votes on the city commission.

Corey, who Gillum cut ties with last year, became close with the agent known as Miller after the agents arrived in town, and introduced Gillum to the undercover agent in 2016, according to the Democrat. Miller, the Democrat reported, wanted the city to expand the jurisdiction of the community redevelopment agency to include a parcel of land Miller said he would develop, and solicited Corey to achieve that goal.

Later that year, the CRA - which Gillum chairs - voted unanimously to expand the jurisdiction, though he wasn't present for that vote.

Reported meetings between Gillum, Corey and agents have drawn local headlines. The Democrat reported Gillum received an invitation to meet with Miller from Corey while Corey, Gillum and Gillum's wife were on vacation in Costa Rica in May 2016 as part of a birthday celebration for her with other lobbyists and Sean Pittman, another college-era friend who ran Gillum's mayoral bid and continues to advise him in his gubernatorial run. (Gillum has contended no city business was discussed and he paid personally in cash for his part of the trip.)

Gillum, Corey and Miller also met in New York in April that year, during a business trip Gillum took in his capacity with the liberal People for the American Way Foundation. In an email inviting Gillum to meet, Corey noted that Miller had arranged hotel rooms, an outing to a Mets game and a boat trip to the Statue of Liberty, according to the Democrat. The Democrat reported that two of the undercover agents joined Gillum, Corey and Gillum's brother Marcus on the boat in New York Harbor.

Gillum's campaign told the New York Times that his Manhattan hotel stay on the last night - as well as tickets to see the musical "Hamilton" - were paid for by his brother, and that the musical ticket was exchanged for a Jay-Z concert ticket Corey received from Marcus Gillum. The mayor, his brother, and Corey saw the musical with one of the agents, according to the Times.

Despite photos of Gillum, Corey and an agent on the boat trip published by Tallahassee station WCTV, the mayor said the undercover agent paid for no part of Gillum's travels and that he stayed elsewhere. Gillum's receipts released Tuesday covered some charges from the New York and Costa Rica trips, including a bill for a two-night stay at the Ameritania Hotel in New York (to the Open Society Foundation, a George Soros organization) and a $400 cash withdrawal the campaign said covered lodging for the Costa Rica vacation.

Just months after Gillum announced he was seeking the Governor's Mansion in March 2017, agents delivered a subpoena to City Hall requesting thousands of pages of records on city officials.

A Florida Bar article also revealed details of the investigation around that time when Joshua Doyle, a former Tallahassee FBI field supervisor, applied to work as the organization's executive director. He described building a 20-person team - including intelligence analysts and forensic accountants - for a "sensitive two-year undercover investigation" to the tune of a half-million dollars.

Since then, federal officials have issued at least two more rounds of subpoenas, though none has specifically named Gillum or records specific to him.

Those subpoenas and a search warrant that was accidentally released online by federal officials in February have indicated the probe has narrowed in on a city commissioner, Scott Maddox, some of his former business associates and developers. The Democrat reported that Maddox was photographed on a trip to Las Vegas with three of the agents sometime in 2016. Maddox has said he is innocent.

Charges with regard to any arm of the investigation have yet to be filed. A federal grand jury in Tallahassee has been impaneled, and the Democrat reported in July that several players in the probe or their attorneys had been seen at the federal courthouse, suggesting some progress in the case.

After news of the investigation broke, Gillum struggled to court financial donors. But until last week, few expected that blisteringly close attention to the probe would stretch far past Tallahassee's city limits. Gillum's win has now dramatically changed the context of the probe and how widely it will be noted.

Ron DeSantis, the GOP nominee, wasted little time in mentioning the FBI investigation to Fox News' Laura Ingraham on election night: "He's embroiled in corruption scandals. ... This guy can't even run the city of Tallahassee - there's no way Florida voters can entrust him with our entire state."

The Republican Governors Association released a digital advertisement the next day that showed a series of news reporters talking about Gillum as headlines about the probe floated over the screen. "Andrew Gillum Can't Be Trusted," the final frame of the ad read.

Later that night, the state GOP's Twitter account also posted a link to a story from Tallahassee Reports, a local outlet, which said unnamed "people close to the federal investigation have indicated" that Gillum's brother Marcus had been paid by undercover federal agents who were posing as developers in the probe. (The Herald/Times has not verified that reporting.)

"The rumor that Marcus Gillum has been paid is false," campaign communications director Geoff Burgan said.

In a race now already rife with comparisons to the presidential campaign of 2016, the long-simmering Tallahassee drama echoes another FBI investigation: the one into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server.

"Again, a botched FBI investigation is affecting a major election," said former FBI agent Jeff Danik, who once headed the bureau's West Palm Beach office and had no immediate knowledge of this case. "The FBI and Department of Justice don't have any good options at this point."

But barring a major announcement or break in the case, voters may not know the probe's outcome before they go to the polls in November. (An unofficial, but often-cited Department of Justice practice states that officials are not to discuss or act on investigations within 60 days of an election.)

It's unlikely that Gillum - who has not been directly implicated - will be able to completely shake its cloud. But political experts say whether or not it is resolved before election day, the FBI investigation could affect the perception of Florida voters.

"If Republicans or outside groups attack that over and over again, it certainly has the potential to sway some voters," said Aubrey Jewett, a political science professor at the University of Central Florida. "We know from political science and political communication research that the reason that attack ads are so often used is that they have some effect on some people."

Florida State University political science professor Carol Weissert wrote in an email to the Herald/Times that if Republicans want to sway those voters, they'll have to define Gillum as corrupt early in the campaign.

But it's also possible an attempt to paint a rising African-American political star as corrupt could backfire for Republicans, galvanizing Gillum's diverse, progressive base.

"Many black voters believe - and sometimes with some evidence - that black politicians are singled out and unfairly treated in investigations," Jewett said.

Warren Davis, a recording artist from Tampa who knew about the investigation when he cast his ballot for Gillum in the primary, said he is much more concerned about the documented corruption in Washington than any possible wrongdoing in Tallahassee.

"I think that the fact that he's being open and honest about it, to me that's vastly different from what we've seen on the national level because Trump is not being open or honest about anything," Davis said.

Still, campaign spokesman Geoff Burgan said they do not intend to pressure federal officials to publicly corroborate Gillum's assertion he is not part of the probe before election day.

"The investigation is going to run its course, and we want it to be thorough. We're not going to pressure them in any kind of significant or consistent way," Burgan said in a text message. "Obviously we'd like the public to have the facts, but understandably public integrity cases can and do take time to get right."

Posts: 12574 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Florida is a purple state. Elections are close and won on the margins. It doesn't matter who the candidates are. Republicans will vote for the Republican and Democrats will vote for the Democrat. The only thing that matters is turnout. The big cities are solidly blue as they are in most states so Republican turnout needs to be enough throughout the rest of the state to overcome the large number of urban votes.

Gillum will have every advantage. He's riding a wave of Democrat enthusiasm, he fits in to the current mold of the Democrat party (minority, radical progressive) and the media will cover him favorably, never highlighting his radical leftism.

In the end, I think he is too far left to win a state-wide election. But I don't take it for granted. The left will likely show up for this election. Republicans are going to have to turn out to make sure that DeSantis can win.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Republicans should be happy that Graham didn't win the democratic primary. She would be harder to beat than Gillum.

She has across the board name recognition in FL (Daddy) and more conservative politics than Gillum. She would have pulled red votes for those who are not party ticket republicans and not on the Trump bandwagon.

Gillum is far more decisive and will only pull a few, if any, typically republican voters. It should lead to a win for DeSantis.

Chuck

Life's tough...tougher if you're stupid

(AKA "cwr" on SIGforum [email account issues])

Posts: 358 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: February 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you guys from Florida hurry up and elect that Polk County Sheriff to congress?

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nero
posted Hide Post
This native Floridian is a bit concerned. As already stated here, Florida is already a purple state, democrat voters in general now seem more energized, and I've heard that we had a fairly sizable influx of new residents coming from Puerto Rico after last year's hurricane Maria, and I'm guessing that the majority of those new residents are more likely to vote democrat rather than republican.

nero

Posts: 4639 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
ChicagoSigMan has it scoped.

Panic time? NO.

Time for complacency? Not.

Floridians need to work hard: write letters, recruit voters, donate campaign funds, fight voter fraud, etc.

Complacency will let the forces behind the socialistprogressivecommunistracist movement to advance their puppet into the Governorship, just like happened to the Nation in 2012.

Posts: 15840 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I am hearing Gillum is leading in the polls but they must not be polling in West Central or the Panhandle. But we damn well better get out and vote.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post