SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PCS to Stuttgart
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PCS to Stuttgart Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
My d-i-l, recently selected to O-6, has gotten word that her next duty station is to be Stuttgart, Gemany, sometime next year.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the selection! She'll enjoy Germany

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
They have a lot of Gemütlichkeit there. If it is like what they have here, I hope she doesn't step in any.

Does anyone have any info about the base there? She and my son are required to live on base.

The Germans who settled in the Texas hill country came from that area.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
It's a nice area for sure.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Colonel - awesome

I have a close friend who was a military attache to Stuttgart for a 3 year posting - she became part of the diplomatic corps for a bit

I believe she is currently in England for one more year before she retires

I will ask and see if she has any words of wisdom

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Colonel - awesome
I seem to remember from JAllen's previous posts that she is a Captain (Navy). I could be wrong.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Colonel - awesome
I seem to remember from JAllen's previous posts that she is a Captain (Navy). I could be wrong.

Of course she is, and you aren't.

I used the description "O-6" in my post because when we former Naval persons say "Captain" there is confusion and ambiguity among the unknowing.

I lived for a time in the BOQ in Coronado. The quarters were adequate but distinctly spartan. What the hey? I was a mere Ensign, entitled to nothing, really, but I recall AF Captains calling in upon arrival by air at base ops, and being put up in the spacious luxury of senior officer quarters in the adjacent building.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Been a long time since I was over there, and even longer since I served there.

I am sure she knows by now to watch out for the beer! Much more alcohol than ours.

Unless things have changed, a lot, her quarters will be several levels/grades above what us enlisted folks experienced.

And she should keep her head on a swivel. The "refugees" have taken over large parts of the country, and the media does not make that well known. They put the lid on reporting incidents. My wife spends quite a lot of time on the phone with her family and best friend from when they were kids. So we have a better idea of the real situation there.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to her! I was stationed in Stuttgart at Moreingen Barracks, when 7th Corp Headquarters was there. I'm assuming she will be at EUCOM Headquarters at Patch Barracks. She will love the area.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: "I lived for a time in the BOQ in Coronado". Lots of navy personnel built homes in the Point Loma district of San Diego. That's about the only part of the city where you'll find houses with no Spanish influence.

Stuttgart is a good place to be. At least it was when I was there, many years ago.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Two officers that worked for me, both recently selected for lieutenant colonel, are stationed there now. They are both enjoying their assignment.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Re: "I lived for a time in the BOQ in Coronado". Lots of navy personnel built homes in the Point Loma district of San Diego. That's about the only part of the city where you'll find houses with no Spanish influence.

Stuttgart is a good place to be. At least it was when I was there, many years ago.

That's good to know.

As far as San Diego goes, after being sent to North Island as a brand new Ensign, I ended up living there for 45 years, most recently in Coronado, until I retired and moved back to the hill country 4 years ago.

posted Hide Post
It's a hive of Scum and Villainy. Too many Generals and GS-15s there for my taste. Of course they are talking about moving my unit there. Smile

I've been in Germany for the last three years, just down the road. Stuttgart is actually nice, The Porsche Museum, Mercedes museum and a really nice stadium. The Oktoberfest there is supposed to be better than the more famous one in Munich.

We've seen a serious down turn in refugees and the streets here are very safe. I'd be more worried about getting crushed by a soccer crowd than or run off the autobahn then terrorists. We still get the occasional incident, but the various security forces have been running quiet but intense effort. I see the occasional gay rights, anti immigration or anti unification protest, but those are usually well covered by the Polezi. The Polezi also go full "bats and hats" for the big soccer games. I still travel with an IFAK and recommend keeping your head on a swivel.

FYI the large groups of refugees are clustered, mostly around old US Kasernes like Manheim and Hiedelberg. Places like where I am stationed have shut down their refugees sites as there isn't enough refugees coming in to need them.
Now some places like Frankfurt have large migrant populations, but again you don't see many incidents.

Also, we have an alert system here in Europe. She'll sign up for it when she in processes. She can also talk to her local security manager for more factual and local security info. there is some stuff we don't talk about in open forumns.

She needs to get good communications with her sponsor and get the drivers license test info and get the low down on housing and life support.

Leave the guns and ammo home. She can get a waffewnbizetzin or go to an MWR range, but unlicensed possession of a firearm or ammo is a no go. There are also some Germany specific rules.

A couple other things:
It's not a German vacation anymore, things are popping over here. There are a only couple of outfits on that post that she could be going to, I support them, they are busy.

That said there is a lot of opportunity for travel and fests. Check out Poland, Estonia, Austria, Czech, Italy, etc.

I'll be here for a while longer, so let me know what questions you have, but here sponsor should be helping her out.

Is this her retirement tour?

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
It's a hive of Scum and Villainy. Too many Generals and GS-15s there for my taste. Of course they are talking about moving my unit there. Smile

I don't know. I believe had she not been selected for CAPT, she would have taken one more and retired. Now that she has been selected, who knows? They keep encouraging her. Maybe she will end up in the hive of Scum and Villainy, a full member in good standing.

I have no input in this. She and my son are on their own, have their own resources, pay their own bills, do what they want, like they want. I guess now that she is a junior big shot, he may have to start wearing shoes regularly.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

I don't know. I believe had she not been selected for CAPT, she would have taken one more and retired. Now that she has been selected, who knows? They keep encouraging her. Maybe she will end up in the hive of Scum and Villainy, a full member in good standing.

I have no input in this. She and my son are on their own, have their own resources, pay their own bills, do what they want, like they want. I guess now that she is a junior big shot, he may have to start wearing shoes regularly.

She'll be ok. The Navy CAPT I know over there always seems happy.

The reason I ask is because I have a large number of O-6s retire out in my AO.

But, a couple of our former O-6s have gone on to the Stars.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I am ever re-incarnated, I'd want to be an O-6 in Stuttgart. Even if I had to be in the Nav. Even if I had to be a woman, too.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Better bring back a Porsche

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post