SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Introduced two Liberals to shooting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Introduced two Liberals to shooting Login/Join 
posted
My nephew, who grew up in Portland, OR, and his 13 year old son came out for a visit from Lacy, Washington. They asked me to take them shooting. I happily obliged.

We started in my kitchen reviewing safety rules and then handled the guns I selected for the day. I have a Kimber Rimfire Target 1911 in .17 Mach2, a Sig TacOps .45, a Glock 26 & a 42, MP9, Ruger LCR .357 mag and a 938. I carried my 320c.

Just the little gun handling and dry fire at home showed me which tendencies to watch out for. My 46 year old nephew tended to be sloppy in muzzle control, his 13 year old wanted his finger inside the trigger guard. He ended up easier to correct once we moved to the range.

At the range, We started with the Kimber and got the "that wasn't bad" reaction I expected. Next we shot the G42. It immediately dawned on them this was real stuff. Neither wanted to shoot it all that much, so we moved to the full size M&P. This was the easiest gun for them to use. Mine has an Apex Duty/Carry kit installed and Trijicon HD sights, orange in front. We quickly tried the G26 but it was not to their liking. We shot some 38 SPC in a light weight Ruger LCR. The 13 year old hated it, my nephew was no fan either. He did catch on to loading and removing empty cases on his own. We finished by shooting the Sig 1911 .45 Both enjoyed that. Given their reaction to the smaller 9mm G26 and for time constraints, we didn't try the 938.

A good morning. First, I don't see them often, but mostly because no one cried or died. No politics were discussed. Lunch at Uno's after.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you at least made a dent in their liberalism.

Yeah, the 938 isn't a beginner's gun. It's a good gun, but it does buck a bit.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Good on you.

Every time you teach someone that "guns" by themselves are not a problem, we win.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My experience of taking "liberals" out to the range has been disappointing. I've done this half a dozen times, though not in the last 5 years. A waste of time (and ammo, money, etc).

They had a great time, thought it was fun. But none of them took up arms. None of them changed their views that guns needed control. None of them bought any firearms to call their own. And all of them ended up voting for Obama a second time. And I know they all did not vote for Trump.

And they ALL still to this day ask when we're going shooting again.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
My experience of taking "liberals" out to the range has been disappointing. I've done this half a dozen times, though not in the last 5 years. A waste of time (and ammo, money, etc).

They had a great time, thought it was fun. But none of them took up arms. None of them changed their views that guns needed control. None of them bought any firearms to call their own. And all of them ended up voting for Obama a second time. And I know they all did not vote for Trump.

^^^

Exactly, they know it was fun but don't understand the concept behind it. My policy is liberals should be kept away from firearms, too much common sense is involved.

Posts: 693 | Location: West of the Pecos | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple close friends that are liberal. They like shooting but they don't own any guns. They want to come over to my house when the shit hits the fan. I keep telling them "well you don't own any guns so what are you bringing to the party?". They have yet to provide a good answer so i am guessing they will get eaten early on during the end of times Smile

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
A gutsy move

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just tell them they can't come, it's illegal for you to share your guns now.

quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
I've got a couple close friends that are liberal. They like shooting but they don't own any guns. They want to come over to my house when the shit hits the fan. I keep telling them "well you don't own any guns so what are you bringing to the party?". They have yet to provide a good answer so i am guessing they will get eaten early on during the end of times Smile

I think we've all had those conversations. "I don't own any guns, and I think there should be more laws, yada yada yada, but hey, when Kremlin Joe lets fly with the nukes, we're all coming to your place cuz you got all the guns, 'k?" You best be bringing a 53 footer filled with canned goods and batteries, if I'm providing the security, you gotta provide something too, and your glowing personality doesn't cut it.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That you got them to go shooting at all is what a true liberal (using the definition of one who is open to other ideas or points of view) should be.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
I used to live in the area. We used to get to use the police range on weekends. If they want to keep it up when they get home, I suggest they go to The Marksman in Puyallup. Teachers, gun rental, indoor range. Also, from what I understand a shop called Welchers is about to open an indoor range in Lakewood, that would be closer than Puyallup for them.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasche:
I used to live in the area. We used to get to use the police range on weekends. If they want to keep it up when they get home, I suggest they go to The Marksman in Puyallup. Teachers, gun rental, indoor range. Also, from what I understand a shop called Welchers is about to open an indoor range in Lakewood, that would be closer than Puyallup for them.

If they want to shoot there are a ton of places within a very acceptable commuting distance; Firearms Academy of Seattle is a good place to train just down in Chehelis and at least three ranges that I know of in and around Olympia, Tacoma has more, 40 minute drive maybe.

Lots of opportunity from abject beginners to 3-gun and Cabella's is their next door neighbor.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
That you got them to go shooting at all is what a true liberal (using the definition of one who is open to other ideas or points of view) should be.

I taught my dog how to do a back flip.

He still doesn't understand physics.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
As I know from the "sharing" of coffee at work, liberals are mooches. Nonetheless, take them shooting again. Ask them to buy their own ammo. Gradually normalize the experience and start the transition to being non-liberals.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
As I know from the "sharing" of coffee at work, liberals are mooches. Nonetheless, take them shooting again. Ask them to buy their own ammo. Gradually normalize the experience and start the transition to being non-liberals.

Agree on the "mooches" comment. Every liberal I know is a mooch. Though not every mooch I know is a liberal.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I know lots (OK a few) liberals who are fine with guns.
The problem is "at the end of the day" they will ALWAYS vote with the whatever the other Dems/Libs want.
If that means "no guns" or anything anti-gun then they will do that. Mad
To ME ~ the Second Amendment it my NUMBER 1 ~ no compromise issue.
Nothing is sacred without it.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:My nephew, who grew up in Portland, OR, and his 13 year old son came out for a visit from Lacy, Washington.

How is the 13-y/o a liberal?

tac

Posts: 11315 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasche:
Thanks,I'll pass that on and see what they do with it.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was expecting a very different type of story based on the thread title.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:My nephew, who grew up in Portland, OR, and his 13 year old son came out for a visit from Lacy, Washington.

How is the 13-y/o a liberal?

tac

Tac, don't you know if your are born on the left or right coast of the USA ... or anywhere else in the world you are BORN a Liberal? Confused

‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've gone away from the "Liberal" label and instead use "Leftist" or "Statist" as most of the Lefties/Democrats/<whatever you want to call them> seem to be the opposite of liberal, unwilling to consider other opinions, or even facts that don't fit with their worldview. They seem to believe that what we need is more government with more power and more laws to force their ideology on everyone else. "Leftist" or "Statist" seems to pretty accurately describe these folks.

If one doesn't believe in individual responsibility and thinks the government (and more of it) is the answer to all problems, it may take a little more than just taking them shooting to help them see the light...

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post