Notify
Tools

Lil Kim Login/Join 
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'm thinking this is where Putin could step up and announce any rogue deployment by any nation (meaning NK) against another nation will face equal retaliation from Russia.

He'll come up smelling like a rose and might win him a Nobel Peace Prize.

This is a very improbably scenario from a logistics basis alone.

Russia, for all the actions it is involved in around the world, cannot support, engage or much less sustain a meaninful front in support of NK. The do not have the ability to project force into a country not adjacent to their own which is why you see direct action in Syria and the Crimea but no where else. They simply do not have the infrastructure to support NK or to provide military assistance on 3 fronts at the same time.

While Russia and NK do share an 11 mile border and Russia did put troops there in April, this is a choke point and not a tactical supply entrance of sustainability.

Russia doens't want NK citizens running into their country as much as China doesn't either.

Russia will offer lip resistance and does like it that NK is a burr under our saddle, but in the end, they think having a US military presence right on their border is less desirable than seeing Little Kim gone with newer and not so crazy Korean in his place that'll be friendly with Russia.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Every missile that left NK airspace would be immediately intercepted.

This actually sounds like the simplest solution. Don't we have a spiffy laser weapon? Wink

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
How about the President offers a reward on Twitter: $25 million plus US citizenship for whoever takes care of him for us. Maybe $25 million is too much.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
How about the President offers a reward on Twitter: $25 million plus US citizenship for whoever takes care of him for us. Maybe $25 million is too much.

$12.50, a weeks supply of cabbage and beets, and 2 goats would probably be enough. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Nah, go for the full $25 million. Cheap glamor is best fought with real glamor in depth.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
olfuzzy, somebody I know who knows somebody who knows said we'd be lucky to hit half of the ICBMs shot at us.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LtJL... Then tell that person to put up 5x the amount of interceptors they would normally shoot Smile

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If this video is accurate. One bomber run could cripple N. Korea.

If deployed. Could it cause military to walk off posts before artillery strike on Seoul?

I'm not even concerned with the nuke capabilities. If we made decisive strike it would take an eternity to launch a nuclear response if they even could.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
For msfzoe:

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For many years, South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan have all held back from declaring themselves nuclear powers. Partly because the US prefers that they don't.
DPRK and China very much want to avoid having their neighbors have nuclear arsenals.
Before going to war, a lot of other steps would be tried first, including the nuclear armament of any of China's neighbors.

Posts: 85 | Location: Between Maryland and Virginia | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CNYTX11
posted Hide Post
Allow both the Japanese and South Koreans to develop nukes of their own.

Now we have a nice Mexican circle jerk stand-off.

That'd be a shit show par excellance.

S&W M-66-2 (3")/ S&W M-65LS (3")/ S&W M-10 (2")/Colt Combat Commander Series 70

Posts: 651 | Location: Johnson County, KS | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NK reminds me of a rabid pit bull that a low life hood rat keeps because it makes him makes him tough buy proxy, and it scares the decent folks.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Some points:
From the DMZ's OP Dora Seoul is clearly seen. Kim has a couple of thousand artillery pieces ranged on the city. There are a reported 20 tunnels that run under the DMZ that can be used to channel special forces to complete various attacks. If war comes Seoul and South Korea will be devastated.
When nuclear weapons have been wargamed, it's been found that when one side sees that it's going to lose, the chance that they will use nukes goes way, way, up. Could Kim see he's losing and fires off his nukes? Yes. Where would Kim go? What hole can he climb into and be protected. It gurentee that he's thought of that.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Remember that Kims have talked tough for 70 years, but they don't do shit. They pose and posture and it is all a bluff. I don't think this Kim is much, if any, different. He is crazy despot, and louder than Gramps and Dad, but he doesn't appear to be stupid. And China wants a North Korea that isn't our friend. They want that a lot.

I predict this situation stays the same. Kim throws fits, but doesn't do anything. We get all cranked up, but don't do anything. We have been repeating this pattern for decades. There is no viable other option. Attacking the Norks isn't going to happen unless they attack us or the South. Too dangerous. No one wants anything even close to war. This isn't Grenada or like The Falkland Islands. China is right next door.

I bet a steak dinner we are virtually exactly where we are now in five years. The only variable I see is an internal coup that we aren't part of.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And China wants a North Korea that isn't our friend. They want that a lot.

But China doesn't want a war. Neither do we of course. So... they will probably find a way to put Lil Kim on a bit of a leash to calm this down as you suggest.

quote:
The only variable I see is an internal coup that we aren't part of.

That would be the best for North Korea and for us, but maybe not for China. They have an investment in Kim.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24110 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Remember that Kims have talked tough for 70 years, but they don't do shit. They pose and posture and it is all a bluff. I don't think this Kim is much, if any, different. He is crazy despot, and louder than Gramps and Dad, but he doesn't appear to be stupid. And China wants a North Korea that isn't our friend. They want that a lot.

I predict this situation stays the same. Kim throws fits, but doesn't do anything. We get all cranked up, but don't do anything. We have been repeating this pattern for decades. There is no viable other option. Attacking the Norks isn't going to happen unless they attack us or the South. Too dangerous. No one wants anything even close to war. This isn't Grenada or like The Falkland Islands. China is right next door.

I bet a steak dinner we are virtually exactly where we are now in five years. The only variable I see is an internal coup that we aren't part of.

EXCEPT that Dad and Grand Dad didn't actually possess nuclear weapons.

And 'Lil Kim certainly seems to have a penchant for fireworks Eek

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
From the long ago days when I was the battalion CBR NCO, nukes can be used without downwind fallout. Air burst, in which the fireball does not touch the ground. Hence, no dirt, etc is picked into the fireball and become radioactive.

Used to plot the blast and fallout patterns when stationed in Frankfurt. Huge difference between ground burst and air burst.

Air burst over lil kim's nuke facilities would put them out of commission without fallout. Blast/shock and heat wave would do it.

Wouldn't the blast wave blow everything in the area into the air though, still resulting in fallout?

As I recall, only stuff that goes through/into the fireball become fallout.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
The nukes we dropped on Japan were detonated about 3000 feet above the ground. This was done to maximize the blast radius. There are many variables in weaponeering nuke strikes, but I don't think an air burst high enough to avoid fallout would have the desired effects. An airburst may damage/destroy aorcraft and other 'fragile' systems, but what would the purpose of a US nuke strike be?

We can take out their airfields just fine with conventional weapons (and their Air Force is not a significant threat to us). Same thing for their missile launch facilities (I assume these are open gantries like we use for space launches and not buried/hardened silos like we have our ICBMs in). Even if they have silos, JDAMS will take them out with regular explosives.

IMO, nuclear targets would be kim's underground boonker or the artillery pieces ranged on Seoul. BOTH these would require ground bursts to 'dig out' the targets, as air bursts high enough to avoid fallout would not affect them in any meaningful way. Both strikes would result in tons of fallout heading towards SKor and Japan.

Even if the NorKs nuked Guam or Seattle (or anywhere else), I don't see us ever seriously considering nukes.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm sure we've had a plan of attack for years. ^^^

I'd be curious how long it would take to cripple his military if we decided on all out war and hit him with everything we had at once. I imagine we could destroy 80%+ of his weapons in 72 hours or less.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
why couldn't we use an EMP against them? Would that not render all of their military tech useless? It's not like the innocent people in NK have electricity anyways, so it wouldn't affect them as much

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post