SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycles: Parking on the sidewalk
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycles: Parking on the sidewalk Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
I see it from time to time, maybe 80:20 parking lot to sidewalk, motorcycles parked on the sidewalk relatively close to the entrance of a business.

Curious the opinion of this, riders & non-riders.

Question:
Do you park on the sidewalk?

Choices:
All the time
Sometimes
Rarely
Not at all

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The only time I park on the sidewalk of a business is when it's a bike specific event like a rally or bike night where that space has been set aside for bike parking.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I put a lot of miles on my CB360, way back during the first phony oil crisis. Was taking customer service calls for IBM, going to college at the same time. Rode thru the winter in DC and surrounding areas. Generally enjoyed it, until I "put it down" traveling about 15-20 MPH due to an unseen icy ledge on the roadway. About 2100 hours. Still rode until I got transferred to P'okie NY. Rode a little there and then had a mechanical and that ended it.

I did enjoy riding!!!!! Wife hated that I was riding.

Never parked on the sidewalk.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Most of the idiots that park on sidewalks around here get a citation.

I've never parked on the sidewalk, nor do I have any intention of doing so. The few times that I've seen guys doing it at restaurants for example, is to get attention for their bike.
We don't ride with a-holes like that.

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I never parked mine on a sidewalk.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in that area, parking a motorcycle on the sidewalk near a building was common in downtown Philadelphia where street parking was limited. A parking citation USUALLY was not given by moto maid.

In Tucson, motorcycle only parking spaces are common in many shopping areas, so no need to park on sidewalk.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I'm one of the idiot a-holes that does it sometimes.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't park on the sidewalk, nor do I park in the no parking areas of retail lots.
It's a licensed vehicle and gets parked as one.

Come out of a place where I parked, I was on the end and had left a little more room for the parking spot on the one side. Allowing them a little extra room to get in and out.
This a**hole parks his MC next to me and on the line to the spot next to me. Blocking access to their passenger door.

Here I was trying to be the nice guy and this turd makes it look like we're buddies and both assholes.
Wish I had a piece of paper to leave a note. I was pissed.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did, very seldom, back in the 70's when I had a bike. As I recall, it was at Jones Hall (season tickets to the opera and no motorcycle spots), the West Gray Theater (ditto), and Miller Outdoor Theater, although that was really on the lawn, not sidewalk. All on dates, with my to-be wife on board. Good times!

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Never, in 50+ years of riding. It's an asshole thing to do.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I voted sometimes, it depends places with large sidewalks like hardware store, home depot, bike shops usually don't care. Believe it or not some people get pissed if you take a cager parking place on a motorcycle. The plant I retired from (1800 people) did not allow motorcycles in a cager parking place the last 5 years I was there. I've been riding a long time, over the years I've been confronted three times by people, over precious parking spots in a car lot. Some people don't think motorcycles belong in a parking lot. Where in the fudge Am I supposed to park people?

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting question.

There are several things that inconsiderate motorcycle riders do to annoy me, but as long as they don’t create a nuisance by blocking a walkway or drip oil where it doesn’t usually end up, they are like bicycles to me. The less space they take up and the more they leave for me to park, the happier I am. We commonly have packs of riders come through my town in the summer, and when I see three or four parked in one spot, I think, “Yeah! That could be three or four cars.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Believe it or not some people get pissed if you take a cager parking place on a motorcycle.

Indeed. You may end up with a damaged motorcycle - knocked over or a knife sliced seat.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Here's a place you definitely don't want to park bikes on the sidewalk.

The situation never came up when I rode, but I wouldn't park on a sidewalk without permission or invitation.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
In San Diego it's not legal - unless you're a deputy, with a radar gun, trying to catch drivers as they go through a school zone, on Poway Rd.

From what it appears, easier to park both motorcycles on the sidewalk thereby impeding elementary age kids ability to walk on the sidewalk safely than it is to park the bikes (legally) on the street.

Oh the area and time in question should have its speed enforced a lot more often than it is.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Never.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I can get in and out in less that 3 minutes (drop off a letter, make a payment, etc.) and there is plenty of room on the sidewalk I'll park there otherwise never.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Heck no. I'd hate to find out what a "blocking a sidewalk ticket" would cost?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never done it, but I don't ride much. Parking isn't generally an issue where I live anyway, if I take a "cager" spot, I'll do it farther away from the entrance...which is where I park my cage as well.

I could see doing it if parking is really tight and there is an out of the way spot on a walk not blocking where anyone would reasonably walk.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
It's legal and customary in much of AZ due to the heat. And it saves a space for a cage. I would never block a sidewalk, but do park under an awning when I can.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post