SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of a 10-1/4 inch worm drive circular hand saw...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of a 10-1/4 inch worm drive circular hand saw... Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I have a regular 7-whatnot inch hand circle saw (old craftsman electric), and it works great, but you need a 10-1/4 inch blade for enough depth to cut through 4x4 posts with one pass.

Question is, would you buy a worm gear drive or a conventional direct drive "sidewinder". Here are some facts I've found so far:

1. On worm drive saws, the blade is on the left-side of the tool, vice the right-side of a conventional circle saw. Timber and framing carpenters apparently like the better visibility of the blade on the left side when making cuts (for right handers at least).

2. Worm drive saws have more torque to drive through wet or green timbers. In my case, I will be cutting off 70 4x4 pressure treated posts after I install them in the ground (vice before I install them, which I would otherwise use my chop saw).

3. Price seems to be about the same between the two styles of saws for a given level of quality and brand name.

4. RPMs a little lower on worm drive, but I'm cutting off posts and in no hurry, and I don't want to bog down in the middle of the cut if I'm not holding it perfectly straight through the cut.

So, with this information, do you think a worm drive saw would be better for this use, and if it is, what are the disadvantages of a worm drive versus a conventional saw for uses other than chopping posts, if any ?

Any advice, as usual, much appreciated from the Great Sigforum.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Go pick one up and hog it around for a half hour or so. Then do the same with the Skill style.

If you need one then you need one. They are a chunk.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with either type at that size. I do have the 7 1/4 inch Skilsaw wormdrive and have used 7 1/4 inch standard saws.

In general, I prefer the wormdrive, although it is heavier. I also note that at the 10 1/4 size, both types of saws have two substantial handles, so you will be able to hold the saw in both hands when slicing the post horizontally.

One thing to consider; if you are right handed, and are cutting posts that are already in the ground, if you use a standard saw with the blade on the right, the blade will be "up" and will be easy to see, and the bottom plate will be "down" against the part of the post that you are keeping in the ground. With a wormdrive, the blade will be down, it will be harder to see to align on your cut line, and the base of the saw will be against the waste wood that will fall off at the end of your cut, leaving the saw unsupported.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have never operated one that size either. I have a 7 1/4" Milwaukee brand worm drive, and it is a beast with awesome power.

Having the blade on the left is a dramatic improvement in ease of use.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I compared the worm drive to the regular before I bought my Makita and those bitches are heavy, saw for saw. My Makita cuts so good that I am glad I didnt buy the worm drive. I have been using the right hand drive for a long time and I am good at it so it doesn't matter which side the blade is on.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My brother had the smaller, and I always liked using it. If you're cutting enough wood, it sounds like a good investment. Like a plumber owning a Hole Hawg.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
It is likely that the rotational speed of the larger saw is lower so that the engagement speed of each tooth striking wood is the same as the smaller blade. Tangential velocity may be idealized for 7 1/4 teeth so 10 teeth rpm needs to be slower.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
It is likely that the rotational speed of the larger saw is lower so that the engagement speed of each tooth striking wood is the same as the smaller blade. Tangential velocity may be idealized for 7 1/4 teeth so 10 teeth rpm needs to be slower.

And you will usually see the maximum rpm written on the blade or grinding wheel, because of this. The larger the diameter, the lower the rpm's that are required to maintain the same sfpm (cutting speed at the perimeter of the wheel). It is a bad idea to put a 7" abrasive cut-off wheel on a 4.5" grinder (with the guard removed), for example, because the smaller grinder will spin faster, too fast for the larger wheel, potentially causing the larger wheel to break apart.

wrightd, if you are doing 70 posts free hand, I think you would be much less tired/strained by making two cuts on each with the smaller saw. Unless, you make some kind of jig you can clamp to each post, to carry the weight of that heavy worm drive saw, and also act as a guide. That would give you a nice consistent finished job.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Having used worm drives for several decades the 7 1/2 is my goto preference. The 8 1/2 is useful on occassion but the 10 1/2 is a beam cutter and is only pleasant to use on the level and at ground level. As others have indicated it weighs alot and is no fun for more than a few cuts. 4x4 posts take two cuts with the 7 1/2 but you can do more of those and minimize the fatigue factor. Also note the 7 1/2 can be used one handed unless you are going for accuracy.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

And you will usually see the maximum rpm written on the blade or grinding wheel, because of this. The larger the diameter, the lower the rpm's that are required to maintain the same sfpm (cutting speed at the perimeter of the wheel). It is a bad idea to put a 7" abrasive cut-off wheel on a 4.5" grinder (with the guard removed), for example, because the smaller grinder will spin faster, too fast for the larger wheel, potentially causing the larger wheel to break apart.

wrightd, if you are doing 70 posts free hand, I think you would be much less tired/strained by making two cuts on each with the smaller saw. Unless, you make some kind of jig you can clamp to each post, to carry the weight of that heavy worm drive saw, and also act as a guide. That would give you a nice consistent finished job.

Yes I will make a custom jig from scrap wood just for that purpose. I want clean flat square cuts

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worm drives are a beast.

Very heavy,

I would not buy one if this is all you are going to cut.

Make two passes on each post and not worry about it.

If you have lots of projects needing a deep cut, go with the worm drive.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just use a small chain saw or a sawzall to cut the 4x4's off? Ahh, I see you're looking for precision.....

Another option is to put a post at each end and run a line and just sink the posts to the right depth so they don't need to be cut.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
A 10 1/4" versus a normal 7 1/4" is a handfull that's for sure. I like the skill magnesium 7 1/4" it's light. If I need something for posts I use my Stihl 170.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Worm drives are a beast.

Very heavy,

I would not buy one if this is all you are going to cut.

Make two passes on each post and not worry about it.

If you have lots of projects needing a deep cut, go with the worm drive.

Unless at Harbor Freight one-project throw away prices, I agree with this. Possible to rent?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Having blade on L side allows you to hold a speed square on the wood to act as a guide for straight cuts. Though this would not likely be a good technique with a 10 1/4" saw...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Milwaukee makes a hand held bandsaw that might fit your bill. Certainly lighter. Can be very accurate. If you have a local shop that sharpens circular saw blades, some also make up bandsaw blades. A few custom made, wood cutting blades for the handheld bandsaw would be ideal. Milwaukee has both corded and battery machines(18v). Their stock blades, at the Milwaukee dealer, will also do a pretty good job cutting wood. Get as coarse a tooth as you can find.

I have a cord model. At times it is the perfect machine for the job, nothing else can match it.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post