SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Overnight a home invasion, now reporting 2 gun safes stolen.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overnight a home invasion, now reporting 2 gun safes stolen. Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Details are still emerging, but a more recent report not yet online says 1 resident sent to hospital with head injuries and 2 gun safes stolen as well... Sounds like they knew what they were after & where to find it.

LEXINGTON, Ky. (LEX 18)-- An investigation continues after an overnight break-in at a home.

Police were called to Burley Avenue around 1 a.m. Saturday morning.

They say four armed men broke into a home, stole a number guns and a safe, and drove off.

One of four people inside the home at the time suffered minor injuries during the robbery.

As of now, police don't have any suspects in the case. http://www.lex18.com/story/367...med-robbery-suspects

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
With such little details revealed, it's hard to comment on this.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Update from another source:

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Lexington police are investigating an overnight armed home invasion.

It happened around 1:15 Saturday morning on Burley Avenue. That's off South Broadway between Virginia and Waller.

Witnesses tell police that four men with guns came through the front door of the house and hit the homeowner in the face.

The suspects then stole two gun safes.

Now, not to be
but I think there are some comments that can be made. One, it underscores how a gun safe that is not properly secured AND properly concealed can be removed. Two, it also emphasizes how important OPSEC is A. criminals likely knew the safes were there - either from having seen them on a prior visit to the house or by the occupants bragging/blabbing about having them and B being aware if awake at 1AM or prepared in the event one is asleep at 1AM when such things could happen. And one more point. You're on your own. The invasion, control of the home, and stealing of the possessions - including 2 gun safes AND the getaway happened all before police were notified or at least present. That is NOT in any way a dispersion on Metro. The officers in Lexington are professional and do a great job from everything I've seen. It points out the higher standard of precautions one must make in this day and time, and especially if it may be known "around town" that you have such easy pickings in your home. Police can't be everywhere.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That area is a mix of college students, those that pretend they're in college (just live close to campus to party) and unless something has changed recently, some older run down homes. 99% certain this will be drug related, as it wouldn't be the first time in that area.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the two "gun safes" were either not gun safes at all, or were fairly small and light.

By safe standards, even 500 pounds is light. But you're going to be hard pressed to find many criminals capable of dragging out two of them, loading them in a vehicle, and making a clean escape during a home invasion.

I'm guessing they were small and/or light enough to be easily carried and placed in the back seat of a car.

quote:
99% certain this will be drug related,

I agree.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Unless they came equipped with a very substantial dolly and a truck with a substantial lift gate, and the safes were on ground level, I'd have to agree with a1abdj. Even my safe, which is not "massive," is not anything any crew of four is going to pick up and haul out of the house in one go--even were it not in the basement and the path not negotiable with it assembled.

Nonetheless: The lesson is a valuable one. The OpSec aspect, especially. One reason I'll be really glad when the man cave is completed. Then the safe and everything else firearms-related will be out of sight.

Ironically: I'll have to let $randomStrangers in to perform part of the work necessary to get to that point.

(Reminds me: I have a bulb burned out in one of my motion lights. That'll be Job 1 today.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
To have it be 4 men, sounds supports that they may have been prepared to move stuff. Hope the cops can determine if homeowner had recent repairs, or just moved, or a party which included some nefarious types.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This happened in Austin, TX.

"After returning from vacation Sunday, an Austin couple discovered that their home had been burglarized and thieves made off with $220,000 worth of goods. Suspects stole 45 guns, including 15 AR rifles, more than 1,000 rounds of ammo and a whole host of jewelry, valuable coins, antique family heirlooms and cash.

Joe Lohmeier had spent several days in Mexico with his girlfriend, Kelsey Majors, but the couple had been home for some time before they discovered the house had been burglarized. Lohmeier told a local Fox affiliate that initially there were no signs of a break-in, although he did notice a couple things out of the ordinary, like leaves and dirt inside his house and a smoke detector on the floor.

A couple of hours, Lohmeier opened the closet where he kept his gun safe. That’s when his heart sank and he realized that the dirt and leaves on the floor were from the burglars making their way in and out of the house with Lohmeier’s belongings. “It was just shock,” Majors said.

The safe had been turned to the side and cut open. A few firearms were left on the ground, along with scattered remnants of a coin collection and boxes that once housed other guns but are now gone.

Investigators think the burglary was planned and took several people a few hours to complete. There were no obvious signs of a break-in, other than some windows that were left unlocked by the suspects, and no other part of the house seemed to have been touched. Lohmeier also said it appeared the suspects used his dolly and extension cord while they were in the house.

“Someone had to have known we were gone,” Lohmeier said.

Authorities have most of the serial numbers from the guns and dusted the home for fingerprints, but haven’t revealed whether they have any leads at this time. However, they did say they had never seen anything like this before and it appeared to be a job carried out by professionals.

Lohmeier is concerned about the firearms being on the streets and getting into the wrong hands, but is equally disturbed by the fact that priceless family heirlooms were were taken, including jewelry that belonged to Majors’ great grandmother. Among the loot was also an engagement ring which Lohmeier had purchased with plans to propose to Majors.

Lohmeier is offering a $20,000 reward in hopes that at least some of the items will be found."

http://www.guns.com/2015/03/25...y-on-vacation-video/

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Bolt 'em down folks!

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the two "gun safes" were either not gun safes at all, or were fairly small and light.

By safe standards, even 500 pounds is light. But you're going to be hard pressed to find many criminals capable of dragging out two of them, loading them in a vehicle, and making a clean escape during a home invasion.

I'm guessing they were small and/or light enough to be easily carried and placed in the back seat of a car.

Id agree. Due to weight, it wasnt easy putting my safes where they are. I probably couldnt budge them as full as they are now.

Wonder why they didnt make the homeowner open the safe.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I agree with Walker77.

Never forget, any $6000 safe bolted to a concrete floor and concealed from view, can be opened with a simple 9mm handgun.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never forget, any $6000 safe bolted to a concrete floor and concealed from view, can be opened with a simple 9mm handgun.

Safes were never meant to protect assets in the presence of people. They were invented to protect assets while people were absent.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have a medium sized safe, small compared to some I've seen and I usually keep at least 20 loaded Scar mags in addition to all the other stuff. When we moved it last year it was quite a monstrous task with 4 of us burly men. They must have had some spindly safes or helped them move them. Not saying they did but my BS meter needle bumped around.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Safes were never meant to protect assets in the presence of people. They were invented to protect assets while people were absent.

Tru' Dat' Yo'. But this is why thieves wait for you to be home alone and vulnerable.

It doesn't really matter anyway, give me a cut off saw and 20 minutes and I'm gonna' turn your safe into metal filings.

Having a safe is only a small part of your home security plan. If a safe is your only defense against theft, you are either a fool, or have nothing to steal.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Only 1,000 rounds of ammo?? Pfffffft...amatuers.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Can't find anything that said a gun safe or two were stolen. they all seem to say guns and a safe. Two gun safes would mean at least a hd pu and a bunch of bulky people to load them.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Only 1,000 rounds of ammo?? Pfffffft...amatuers.

OK, that's 2 bricks. Easy with a Walmart double bag. But why bother?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, doubt it was 2 large safes. More than likely nothing more than a Stack On cabinet at the best and a hand gun vault storage device. The vast majority of that area is rental property. Single family homes that have been converted to 4-6 bedrooms to maximize rental income. Not an area I would suspect somebody to have two large gun safes, I've been wrong before however.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Can't find anything that said a gun safe or two were stolen. they all seem to say guns and a safe. Two gun safes would mean at least a hd pu and a bunch of bulky people to load them.

It was in the on air report. As many have stated, may not be quite accurate. All this was breaking news.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Think this would be an arguement for a house bugler alarm. The perimeter security seems to have been simple locks. Once past those the criminals had all the time in the world.
Can you also wire a gun safe so if it's moved or broken into, an alarm sounds?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post