SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This may be a stretch but, good places to eat in New Orleans?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This may be a stretch but, good places to eat in New Orleans? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
quote:
Cochon. Herbsaint. Muriel's. Ralph's on the Park can get you started. For heaven's sake be careful. Consider using Uber so that you don't have to hail a cab. You are too exposed. Stay away from the French Quarter. I'm not kidding about that.

Sounds ominous. Hope I survive!

This is every night in the Quarter. I consult there on video surveillance and public safety. It's the only city in the US with a crime rate like the Horn of Africa. Crime in NO

And the mayor is more concerned about global warming and stroking his own ego.....

Than fixing anything except perception...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Deanie's, Acme Oyster House, Parkway (poboys), Liuzza's by the Track

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Vincent's is a southern Italian joint. Eat there and thank me later. Big Grin

As to the crime, just stay out of the 9th ward and you'll be fine. A little situational awareness goes a long way.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
Casamento's for oysters and po boys.

I have been wanting to try this place out after I saw it on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. It is closed June,July, and August and on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I want to try the soft crab dinner.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: Galatoire's is also old time New Orleans fine dining.

Just what I'm looking for thanks! And, glad I checked it out as I will now be packing a jacket for dinner!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
quote:
Cochon. Herbsaint. Muriel's. Ralph's on the Park can get you started. For heaven's sake be careful. Consider using Uber so that you don't have to hail a cab. You are too exposed. Stay away from the French Quarter. I'm not kidding about that.

Sounds ominous. Hope I survive!

This is every night in the Quarter. I consult there on video surveillance and public safety. It's the only city in the US with a crime rate like the Horn of Africa. Crime in NO

I do appreciate the concern but, I am kinda a daylight hours person so, I hope that (and the 1911) mitigate the problem.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
If you want fancy and expensive, Commander's Palace is as good as it gets.

And in the Quarter, Galatoire's is also old time New Orleans fine dining.

I like the old fashioned places. New Orleans does tradition well, and the two above make a great meal, too.

+1 to both places. The last time I went to NO Commander's Palace was booked out 6 weeks and I couldn't get in. Frown

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's hard to get a bad meal in New Orleans. If possible this is the city to get that "once in your lifetime" dining experience. I love Commander's Palace (gotta have the turtle soup) but there are plenty of places with world class service.

If you have time and enough advanced planning try to go to Brennan's. Brennan's has the notariety of being the last restaurant in North America to drop the coat & tie requirement FOR BREAKFAST! This is where Emeril Lagasse, Paul Prudomme and several other celebrity chefs cut their teeth. They created Bananas Foster and Oysters Rockerfeller. If you can, go for their brunch and plan for a 2.5 hour dining extravaganza. WARNING: last I heard there was a 1 month advance reservation needed. Yes, it's expensive but you will be able to experience what real elegant dining is all about. After Brennan's other restaurants seem like fast food. I have been able to get in for brunch twice in the last 30 years and did not regret the cost or trouble in either case.

Other places to check out:
Court of Two Sisters
Tchoupitoulas Plantation
Columns Hotel restaurant
(Stay at the hotel-built 1870's, set of the movie "Pretty Baby")
Pontchartrain Hotel restaurant
(Stay at the hotel-Tennesee Williams lived here when he wrote "Streetcar Named Desire")

And....while in New Orleans you must embibe in a Sezerac cocktail and/or a Ramous Fizz.

Have fun!!! Les a la Bon ton roule!

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post