SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This may be a stretch but, good places to eat in New Orleans?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This may be a stretch but, good places to eat in New Orleans? Login/Join 
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted
Staying near the WWII museum and will be cabbing it so...

Especialliy Cajun/Creole but, open to all commers!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I really like the Jambalaya at Coop's place on Decatur.

http://www.10best.com/destinat...aurants/coops-place/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cochon. Herbsaint. Muriel's. Ralph's on the Park can get you started. For heaven's sake be careful. Consider using Uber so that you don't have to hail a cab. You are too exposed. Stay away from the French Quarter. I'm not kidding about that.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
High dinning or low??

Cochon the Butcher...can walk from WW II museum. Awesome lunch

Mothers.... classic po boys

August... fine dining

Pesche..... incredible. James Beard award winning

Restaurant Revolution.... table 51 in the Market Room. You won't be sorry

Johnny Sanchez.... hot new lunch spot from Aaron Sanchez & John Besh.

Eats New Orleans.... awesome bkfast/brunch.

There's more.... lots more but we tend to avoid the old guard of restaurants.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I really like the Jambalaya at Coop's place on Decatur.

http://www.10best.com/destinat...aurants/coops-place/

Thanks. I'll make a list of recommendations.

Best regards,

Tom

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I travel a lot for business and personal. My favorite foodie site for traveling to the 25 largest cities in the US is eater.com. They publish an Essential 38 list 3 to 4 times per year, and it's all different food genres and different price points. I've only had very good to exceptional meals when eating off the Essential 38 list the past 5 years.

Here is the Essential 38 list for New Orleans

BTW, you should try both cajun and creole while you're there. Many people find out many of their favorite "cajun" dishes are actually creole.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Deanie's in Bucktown is my go to. Close to Lakefront Airport which I stop at regularly. The BBQ shrimp are great!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Casammento's for oysters and po boys.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

BTW, you should try both cajun and creole while you're there. Many people find out many of their favorite "cajun" dishes are actually creole.

Now, that's a great tip! Thanks! Editing OP to relflect.

Best regards,

Tom

Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:
Cochon. Herbsaint. Muriel's. Ralph's on the Park can get you started. For heaven's sake be careful. Consider using Uber so that you don't have to hail a cab. You are too exposed. Stay away from the French Quarter. I'm not kidding about that.

Sounds ominous. Hope I survive!

Best regards,

Tom

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you want fancy and expensive, Commander's Palace is as good as it gets.

And in the Quarter, Galatoire's is also old time New Orleans fine dining.

I like the old fashioned places. New Orleans does tradition well, and the two above make a great meal, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Not a stretch at all, AMAZING food down in NOLA. ENJOY! You've got loads of great recommendations, I will just add go to Cafe Du Monde for the Biegniets and chickory coffee one morning. I'm salivating thinking about how good that was.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:

Sounds ominous. Hope I survive!

This is every night in the Quarter. I consult there on video surveillance and public safety. It's the only city in the US with a crime rate like the Horn of Africa. Crime in NO

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
The ruby slipper has awesome breakfast

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
The ruby slipper has awesome breakfast

I just ate at their new location in Orange Beach, AL this week and it was fantastic!

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not near the Museum, but:
Rocky and Carlos.
Quite an experience. My kind of food, too!
Some historic sites nearby in Chalmette, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
There are numerous pother boy varieties.
My numero uno is fried oyster.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
There are numerous po boy varieties.
My numero uno is fried oyster.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
A shorter list would be where not to eat. Hard to go wrong there.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post