SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Illinois town votes to ban firearms.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois town votes to ban firearms. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
They'll facilitate your relocating to a Free State, by seizing your home.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9144 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
It's important to keep in mind that while this appears to be a local issue, that this is really the next front opened up by the anti-2A crowd. Similar bans have been enacted recently in other U.S. cities and are currently being proposed in others.

I was thinking about that after reading the OP. The obvious problem is that it can force gun rights supporters to play whack-a-mole through the courts. The less obvious problem is that it can essentially function like a remote workshop - with all of these local ordinances out there, the banners have multiple chances to run these laws past the voters and the courts to see in detail what kinds of restrictions will pass political and legal muster in what jurisdictions.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Morton Grove's ban stricken years ago? I thought the whole situation there was extremely humorous. When the issue came up, I had just purchase a Rogak LES P-18 pistol. Emblazoned on the side, in huge letters, was "Made in Morton Grove, ILL."

Posts: 17138 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I had just purchased a Rogak LES P-18 pistol.
I don't think that's something I would admit.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
What makes Deerfield different than Highland Park is that Highland Park had the ban in effect before the Illinois CCW law that had the ban on preemption by local ordinances of gun control. Deerfield has violated that and they are trying to justify it by saying they simply amended their current firearm law. Roll Eyes

Lawsuits have already been filed and will be interesting to see what happens. Democrats in Illinois have also been trying to overturn preemption since Parkland along with a flood of other gun control.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Wasn't Morton Grove's ban stricken years ago? I thought the whole situation there was extremely humorous. When the issue came up, I had just purchase a Rogak LES P-18 pistol. Emblazoned on the side, in huge letters, was "Made in Morton Grove, ILL."

Dang, that's a piece! Big Grin

I had to Google it to see what it was!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I don't see how the (US Supreme) court can duck this one. And there is no way this goes the town's way; it's a constitutional slam dunk.
The USSC can make exceptions to a right protected by the Constitution. For example, the TSA routinely violates all of the rights protected by the 4th amendment, yet the TSA still exists.

I am not saying they will or should do this re/gun restrictions; I am saying they have not always followed the Constitution in the past.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Reprieve for now.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...assault-weapons-ban/

BREAKING: Judge Issues Restraining Order Blocking Deerfield, IL Assault Weapons Ban

The Village of Deerfield, Illinois’ “assault weapons” ban that would have required residents to turn in or remove their scary black rifles from the town was set to take effect tomorrow. But John Boch reports that after hearing arguments in a suit brought by Guns Save Life and the NRA today, a Lake County circuit court judge has issued a temporary restraining order blocking enforcement of the law until the suit can be decided.

The Deerfield law is in direct conflict with Illinois’ preemption law that prohibits cities from enacting gun control measures that are more restrictive than state law. Deerfield flipped a metaphorical middle finger at that legal restriction, daring someone to challenge them. So far, Guns Save Life and the NRA have been up to the task.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Time to vote that city council out NOW!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone should start up a free shuttle service from South Chicago to Deerfield? Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post