SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Illinois town votes to ban firearms.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois town votes to ban firearms. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

The anti-2A crowd attempts to further gun control through federal laws and when that can't be accomplished they attempt it at the state level...now they have moved their gun control agenda to the city level.

Stay vigilant!

A civil liberty lost at the local level is just as lost as at the federal level.

The NRA can't get involved in every case across the country, which is one thing the gun grabbers are counting on. We need to get Trump on this, and enact a federal law similar to some states, like Florida, that prohibit localities from creating more restrictions than the law or the Constitution allow.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9146 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I just reread my own post.

They are looking at banning rifles with "a fixed magazine"? I guess this is an error on their part???

And I like the exemption of "retired police officers". WTF???

The fixed magazine language could be correct - to avoid the so-called bullet buttton.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I would think McDonald vs. Chicago should have established a precedence against this kind of feifdom getting to big for its britches sort of chickenshit.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

The anti-2A crowd attempts to further gun control through federal laws and when that can't be accomplished they attempt it at the state level...now they have moved their gun control agenda to the city level.

Stay vigilant!

A civil liberty lost at the local level is just as lost as at the federal level.

The NRA can't get involved in every case across the country, which is one thing the gun grabbers are counting on. We need to get Trump on this, and enact a federal law similar to some states, like Florida, that prohibit localities from creating more restrictions than the law or the Constitution allow.

Kentucky has the same.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'll let you in on a little secret. These people were elected. They would know if doing this would cause local blowback. If it would, they wouldn't do it. I'm sure most of the locals fully support this nonsense. So who's going to go there and depose them?

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Fuck that. The mayor and whatever body approved this ordinance need to be forcibly removed from office immediately. No recalls or anything like that. Unemployed tomorrow. Don’t give them a chance to embolden similar actions. Out the door now.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:

Stay vigilant!

I completely agree that a right lost is lost whether due to federal, state, county, or city law. In the case that I'm familiar with the law has already been enacted and a lawsuit has been filed by plaintiffs injured by it. One plaintiff has openly stated that he will not comply with the law and may well be arrested once the law goes into effect.

Keep in mind that any legal challenges to these gun laws will start at the local level, work their way up to the state Supreme Courts, and only if SCOTUS agrees to hear these challenges will they even have a chance of being challenged at the federal level. Obviously this will take years and meanwhile these laws will have a significant impact on gun owners. Once enacted a law is much more difficult to remove.

There are some rumors that the reason these towns are enacting these laws now with the expectation that there will be lawsuits challenging them is that their costs to defend against litigation are being offset by gun control advocates like Bloomberg.

States with Home Rule laws are particularly susceptible to this gun control tactic.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Coincidentaly, a deadpool list will contain the names of the sponsors for this ordinance. Place your bets.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4573 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

An Illinois town is trying to enforce a ban on "certain" firearms. See link below.

I predict this ends in a loss for the town, in the Supreme Court.

I don't think the NRA will let it rest, and I'm sure other groups will file amicus right behind.

This one needs to be pursued with a vengeance, as is has constitutionality at its foundation.

Absolutely. I don't see how the court can duck this one. And there is no way this goes the town's way, it's a constitutional slam dunk.

"The nearby suburb of Highland Park passed a similar ban in 2013, which was contested as unconstitutional by one of the city's residents and the Illinois State Rifle Association. Ultimately, however, the ordinance was upheld in court."

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I find myself asking what would I do if I lived in this town?
.... and I have to think my only choice would be to move out since I don't want to pay $1000 per day and I'm not going to give up my firearms.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I worked in Deerfield for 8 years. This does not surprise me at all.

(Just an fyi: this story is from 2 months ago)

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

An Illinois town is trying to enforce a ban on "certain" firearms. See link below.

I predict this ends in a loss for the town, in the Supreme Court.

I don't think the NRA will let it rest, and I'm sure other groups will file amicus right behind.

This one needs to be pursued with a vengeance, as is has constitutionality at its foundation.

Absolutely. I don't see how the court can duck this one. And there is no way this goes the town's way, it's a constitutional slam dunk.

"The nearby suburb of Highland Park passed a similar ban in 2013, which was contested as unconstitutional by one of the city's residents and the Illinois State Rifle Association. Ultimately, however, the ordinance was upheld in court."

Just out of curiosity, why do we keep repeating this over and over as if it’s a done deal? Just because “similar” towns do whatever does not provide any gaurentee that the next ruling will go the same. Lower courts often, more often than not, contradict themselves in rulings.

It’s almost like some of you guys like being miserable. Nothing says that the next challenge won’t make an effective argument using McDonald as the templet..

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As mentioned previously, I really want to know what the police chief is planning to do in response to this. Even if there are only a handful of detractors, is the chief prepared to force ably enter those private homes, take their guns, and place those folks under arrest. I fear we're creeping ever closer to something really ugly happening, and it may not be possible to put that genie back into the bottle once its out.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sounds like the citizens need to defend the constitution no matter what happens to the politicians

time to sent an example

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Deerfield is a rather well to do liberal community north of Chicago. There has not been a shooting or a homicide with any type of firearm let alone an AR15 up there in years.

Yet.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Everyone here must be very young. This is not the first municipality in Illinois to do this. In 1981, Morton Grove became the first town in America to prohibit the possession of handguns. This outrageous action spurred the town of Kennesaw, Georgia to enact its own legislation that required every home to have a gun. Statistics show that crime went up in Morton Grove and nose-dived in Kennesaw as a result. (Go figure)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
I would think McDonald vs. Chicago should have established a precedence against this kind of feifdom getting to big for its britches sort of chickenshit.

Soros and Bloomberg have lots of money to keep throwing at this.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Folks, don’t be surprised if this doesn’t go away. New York, California, Illinois, and Oregon have been chipping away at our constitutional rights for generations.
Nobody thought that you could have restrictions on pistol permits. Yet NY has restricted permits for “target and hunting. In CA, you have a choice of a couple of hundred handguns that are CA approved. I hear there are restrictions attempted in North Carolina. These liberal anti gun fanatics are infiltrating every state and are causing havoc. We are headed into troubled waters and all patriots are in the crosshairs. We need to continue to vocalize our concern and frustration.
Please forgive my rant. I live in a Commie state and I’m scared there will be no free state when I retire in 6 years. Keep fighting the good fight.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
While only a minor point - I don't think they can jail you over the tyranny only fine you.

I don't understand how it is constitutional to ban weapons of "common use"?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Meh..for those that don't live in IL, look at any of our past elections - Cook County has been Blue for ages, the rest of the state RED. Those of us that don't reside in Cook County ignore it like it was another state. I don't visit Cook, have refused many invitations to sporting events and other neat places in Chi-town just because I'm not giving Rahm anymore $$. I doubt you'd find too many people in Deerfield who care about this, or even know it happened.

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
While only a minor point - I don't think they can jail you over the tyranny only fine you.

What happens if you refuse to pay the fine?

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post