SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Illinois town votes to ban firearms.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois town votes to ban firearms. Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
Mods, feel free to move to Gun Control Discussion, I just thought this was more appropriate due to the time given, they will be fined $1000/day after June 13.

An Illinois town is trying to enforce a ban on "certain" firearms. See link below.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/i...lators-1000-per-day/

The mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida has once again ignited the public debate around assault weapons and large capacity magazines. And while no sweeping gun control laws have been enacted at the federal level, one town in Illinois is taking matters into its own hands.
The Chicago suburb of Deerfield, Illinois voted on Monday to ban the possession, sale, and manufacture of assault weapons and large capacity magazines to "increase the public's sense of safety." What's more, CBS Chicago reports, anyone refusing to give up their banned firearm will be fined $1,000 a day until the weapon is handed over or removed from the town's limits.
The ordinance states, "The possession, manufacture and sale of assault weapons in the Village of Deerfield is not reasonably necessary to protect an individual's right of self-defense or the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated militia."

So, beginning June 13, banned assault weapons in Deerfield will include semiautomatic rifles with a fixed magazine and a capacity to hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, shotguns with revolving cylinders, and conversion kits from which assault weapons can be assembled. And those are just a few of the firearm varieties banned. The list is long and includes all the following models or duplicates thereof: AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR, AR-10, AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, Olympic Arms PCR, AR70, Calico Liberty, Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle, Dragunov SVU, Fabrique NationalFN/FAL, FN/LAR, FNC, Hi-Point Carbine, HK-91, Kel-Tec Sub Rifle, SAR-8, Sturm, Ruger Mini-14, and more.

Antique handguns that have been rendered permanently inoperable and weapons designed for Olympic target shooting events are exempt, as are retired police officers.
"We hope that our local decision helps spur state and national leaders to take steps to make our communities safer," Deerfield Mayor Harriet Rosenthal said in a press release, after the ban on assault weapons passed unanimously.
The nearby suburb of Highland Park passed a similar ban in 2013, which was contested as unconstitutional by one of the city's residents and the Illinois State Rifle Association. Ultimately, however, the ordinance was upheld in court.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
The beginning of the end.

Instant criminals are framed by decree and created by mandate. Not cool.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
...the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The Constitution does not grant citizens this right. The Constitution says that government shall not infringe upon this right- a right which we possess naturally, exclusive of any document.

Posts: 107569 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deerfield is a rather well to do liberal community north of Chicago. There has not been a shooting or a homicide with any type of firearm let alone an AR15 up there in years.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Oh, come on. Really. Come on.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Someone needs to interview the police chief and see if he intends to do this, or if he intends for the next civil war to start right there in little old Deerfield.

"To increase the public's sense of safety..." Really? So they admit that it won't actually increase safety it will just help with ppl's feelz. Oh, great reason.

Edited to remove a particularly violent suggestion regarding the Mayor.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I just reread my own post.

They are looking at banning rifles with "a fixed magazine"? I guess this is an error on their part???

And I like the exemption of "retired police officers". WTF???

-----------------
I apologize now...

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Oh, come on. Really. Come on.

I'm not trying to chicken little this, boss. Just exasperated a bit. I don't really have a good answer for this type of nonsense. If this kind of thing holds, it could spread.

We'll have to see what comes of this.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
It is Illinois. While Deerfield (near Chicago) voted to ban guns, a rural county voted to ban gun bans by making themselves a "sanctuary" for gun owners of all types:

County Bans Gun Bans

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
^

At the bottom of the article, it says another township did this in 2013, and it was upheld in court.

-----------------
I apologize now...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I just reread my own post.

They are looking at banning rifles with "a fixed magazine"? I guess this is an error on their part???

And I like the exemption of "retired police officers". WTF???

Retired police officers are exempt but not retired military. Interesting.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the bottom of the article, it says another township did this in 2013, and it was upheld in court.
It's legal to violate the Constitutional Rights of American citizens because they say it's legal to violate the Constitutional Rights of American citizens.

Might makes right

If you don't believe in the Constitution, you are not an American. You may be a citizen, but you are not an American.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
... to "increase the public's sense of safety." ...

Otherwise known as "feel good", and has not a whit to do with reality or true safety.

You want to "feel safe/secure"? Get a blanket, a cup of cocoa and put on a lullaby.

You want to be safe/secure? Learn how to, and be willing to kill anything that threatens to harm you.

I want nothing of their sort of "safety".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Fuck that. The mayor and whatever body approved this ordinance need to be forcibly removed from office immediately. No recalls or anything like that. Unemployed tomorrow. Don’t give them a chance to embolden similar actions. Out the door now.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Those people there live in a bubble. Sounds like the perfect place for prospecting criminals. Deerfield is one of those towns where the pro athletes live. Median income for a family was $118k there. It's also 95.8% white and I bet quite liberal.

Talk about people who live a life of privilege. Sometimes a harsh dose of reality needs to be force fed into them for them to come to their senses.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you live in the Southside of Chicago or, any number of criminal havens around Chicagoland, if you didn't know it already (you're a criminal, you're inherently an idiot), there's a whole town ripe for break-in's, theft, burglary, car theft...

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
It's important to keep in mind that while this appears to be a local issue, that this is really the next front opened up by the anti-2A crowd. Similar bans have been enacted recently in other U.S. cities and are currently being proposed in others.

The anti-2A crowd attempts to further gun control through federal laws and when that can't be accomplished they attempt it at the state level...now they have moved their gun control agenda to the city level.

Stay vigilant!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

An Illinois town is trying to enforce a ban on "certain" firearms. See link below.

I predict this ends in a loss for the town, in the Supreme Court.

I don't think the NRA will let it rest, and I'm sure other groups will file amicus right behind.

This one needs to be pursued with a vengeance, as is has constitutionality at its foundation.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

I don't think the NRA will let it rest, and I'm sure other groups will file amicus right behind.

This one needs to be pursued with a vengeance, as is has constitutionality at its foundation.

Unfortunately, similar cases have been upheld by the courts.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

Absolutely. I don't see how the court can duck this one. And there is no way this goes the town's way, it's a constitutional slam dunk.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post