SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fun with insulin (maybe NSFW)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun with insulin (maybe NSFW) Login/Join 
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RFSALES:
I was labeled type 2 1/2 years ago by an overly aggressive PA, my A1C was 6.0. She put me on minimum dose of ACTOS. We move to Las Vegas area and the doctor looked at A1C results I had been getting advised try for 6 months off ACTOS. My fist A1C off ACTOS 5.4 and I have been off for over 2 years, lost 26 pounds through exercise and diet. One side effect of ACTOS is water retention so being off ACTOS may have contributed to weight loss.
Current DR could not believe with an A1C of 6 I would be labeled type 2.

6 is pre diabetes, but very often will start metformin etc. I was full type 2, A1c was much higher. I lost 150lbs and now have fully reversed it for now. I am 39, very fit and excercise 6 times a week. I can eat most anything and my A1c is high 4s or very low 5s. I was lucky to get it reversed(for now), but eat healthy and get lots of excercise. Everyone is different. Getting diagnosed with type 2 was a wake up call and probably saved My life as it scared and motivated me.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
I was diagnosed as T2 in 2005 with an A1c of 11.4.
I was 6'1" and 195 lbs. I was placed on Metformin, Actos, Simvastatin and Fenofibrate. I went to classes, sent to the diabetic dietary consultant. A year later I was prescribed insulin with a 9.7 A1c.
I dove headfirst into everything I could research about diabetes and came across Dr. Bernstein and his carb limit philosophy. Never filled the insulin prescription. Changed Dr.'s to one who would let me basically order tests and reality check me, but I was 100% the one making the medical decisions.
Here it is 13 years later and my last A1c was 4.8 on ZERO medications of any kind. I'm not a huge exercise guy, so these results are 95% diet. I just decided I liked having feet more than I like carbohydrates. Still 6'1". Still 195 lbs.

Well done. Common sense and discipline in the kitchen can truly make things much better for diabetes. I have similar results.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
The sun, and a razor. Wink

Lol Big Grin

Oh, that’s not the thickest part. Chest, shoulders and back, I tell people they’ll happily never see me shirtless because the Zoo will be getting all these calls about something escaped. “We can’t tell exactly what it is, but you need to get someone out here with a tranquilizer gun and recapture it!”
I have some friends like that. One of them even has to shave his neck down to where it's covered by his shirts.

flashguy

The key is to rotate your injection sites around, more so than the "traditional" sites. If it works, use it, regardless of what the textbooks say or what the diabetic trainers tell you who don't have the disease themselves. And yes you can inject thru your clothes, as long as you're not covered in earth digging a hole in the ground. No need for disrobing, wiping with alcohol, etc., just punch it and roll. It's not a perfect solution, I've got those areas as well, but it helps.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8675 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post