SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fun with insulin (maybe NSFW)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun with insulin (maybe NSFW) Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Almost totally unrelated diabetes story.
My oldest daughter was diagnosed with type 1 when she was 9. I had an overnight drive to get to the hospital (New Boston, TX to Albuquerque, NM).
The whole way out I’m thinking “dammit, my girl has diabetes. How are we gonna handle this?”
Then I spent a weekend walking around the Children’s Ward at the hospital. By Monday morning I was thinking “Thank God she only has diabetes.”

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Type 2 ??......That doesn't look like the the belly of most type 2's that I have seen.

I'm talking about the limited amount of fat....not the hair !! Wink

I always have been pretty lean, when I graduated from HS I weighed 145 and stayed there for many years, the heaviest I have ever been was 205, right now I’m 175. I’m 5’ 10”, by the way.

I’m not sure how much the fur adds to the total. Wink

I have been Type II since 2006. I am 5' 10" and weigh 170. Heaviest weight for me was 194. Unfortunately, diabetes is on both sides of the family. As someone mentioned earlier, this is better than some of the other diseases out there.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
The doctor I saw in the hospital and the follow up physician both think there is a chance that I may be able to be taken off the insulin, eventually, if I do my part. But, maybe they’re just shining me on, too.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
An Online Intervention Comparing a Very Low-Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations Versus a Plate Method Diet in Overweight Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial 2-13-2017

Background

Type 2 diabetes is a prevalent, chronic disease for which diet is an integral aspect of treatment. In our previous trial, we found that recommendations to follow a very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet and to change lifestyle factors (physical activity, sleep, positive affect, mindfulness) helped overweight people with type 2 diabetes or prediabetes improve glycemic control and lose weight. This was an in-person intervention, which could be a barrier for people without the time, flexibility, transportation, social support, and/or financial resources to attend.

Objective

The aim was to determine whether an online intervention based on our previous recommendations (an ad libitum very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet with lifestyle factors; “intervention”) or an online diet program based on the American Diabetes Associations’ “Create Your Plate” diet (“control”) would improve glycemic control and other health outcomes among overweight individuals with type 2 diabetes.

Methods

In this pilot feasibility study, we randomized overweight adults (body mass index ≥25) with type 2 diabetes (glycated hemoglobin [HbA1c] 6.5%-9.0%) to a 32-week online intervention based on our previous recommendations (n=12) or an online diet program based around a plate method diet (n=13) to assess the impact of each intervention on glycemic control and other health outcomes. Primary and secondary outcomes were analyzed by mixed-effects linear regression to compare outcomes by group.

Results

At 32 weeks, participants in the intervention group reduced their HbA1c levels more (estimated marginal mean [EMM] –0.8%, 95% CI –1.1% to –0.6%) than participants in the control group (EMM –0.3%, 95% CI –0.6% to 0.0%; P=.002). More than half of the participants in the intervention group (6/11, 55%) lowered their HbA1c to less than 6.5% versus 0% (0/8) in the control group (P=.02). Participants in the intervention group lost more weight (EMM –12.7 kg, 95% CI –16.1 to –9.2 kg) than participants in the control group (EMM –3.0 kg, 95% CI –7.3 to 1.3 kg; P<.001). A greater percentage of participants lost at least 5% of their body weight in the intervention (10/11, 90%) versus the control group (2/8, 29%; P=.01). Participants in the intervention group lowered their triglyceride levels (EMM –60.1 mg/dL, 95% CI –91.3 to –28.9 mg/dL) more than participants in the control group (EMM –6.2 mg/dL, 95% CI –46.0 to 33.6 mg/dL; P=.01). Dropout was 8% (1/12) and 46% (6/13) for the intervention and control groups, respectively (P=.07).

Conclusions

Individuals with type 2 diabetes improved their glycemic control and lost more weight after being randomized to a very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet and lifestyle online program rather than a conventional, low-fat diabetes diet online program. Thus, the online delivery of these very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet and lifestyle recommendations may allow them to have a wider reach in the successful self-management of type 2 diabetes.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
You definitely can come off the insulin.

As mentioned the Atkins diet, or even more so Keto diet (atkins diet with more stringent carb limits), will all but guarantee you can come off.

You will also be able to pretty much eat crazy amounts of food if you wish. The only caveat is your carbs need to come from green leaf vegetables.

I am type 1, for 30 years my a1c was high 9's to low 12's and that was with 600 units of insulin daily.

My last a1c was 5.6 that is lower then the level at which a doctor is supposed to warn a patient that they are Pre Diabetic. I'm down to 140 units daily, and experience lows' 3 or 4 times a week so reducing further is inevitable.

If I was type 2 I most likely would be off insulin with this diet plan.

The best part is I'm never hungry or craving food.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
from Jason Fung's IDM (intensive dietary management) team today:

Here’s something you may already know - over 50% of American adults have either prediabetes or diabetes.

Not surprised?

Here’s something you may not know:

These twin cycles (hepatic and pancreatic) are not metabolic dysfunction that ends in disease, but protective mechanisms.

Yep, you heard us right -- insulin resistance (and beta cell dysfunction) are protective.

Insulin is harmful and the reason we’re “resisting” it (otherwise known as Insulin resistance) is because our body is trying to protect our liver.

Picture the liver as a balloon, and when we eat it fills up with fat and sugar. When we stop eating for awhile, like during fasting, the insulin levels drop, releasing some of the stored energy and deflating the balloon.

But if insulin levels stay elevated for a long time, the balloon (your liver) inflates - filling with excess sugar and fat. The pressure inside the liver escalates, which makes it difficult for any more sugar to make its way into this jam-packed liver. The liver doesn’t have any room for more sugar, and so pushes (or resists) the incoming sugar, which now piles up outside in the blood.

This provokes a compensatory hyperinsulinemia (excess insulin circulating in the blood). Like trying to inflate the over-inflated balloon, it works for a time. However, it becomes more and more difficult. Ultimately, the liver was only trying to protect itself from the damaging effects of the high insulin. The problem is not the insulin resistance, but excess insulin in the bloodstream.

The liver is busy trying to clear the fatty congestion by exporting this new fat. Some of it accumulates in the pancreas, eventually clogging it and lowering insulin levels. This is exactly the correct protective response. Since high insulin is the very problem that causes type 2 diabetes, reducing insulin is the most effective protective strategy.

The treatments we have been using for type 2 diabetes were EXACTLY wrong. Too much insulin causes this disease. Giving insulin or drugs that raise insulin will not make the disease better. It will only make it worse!

It is no different from treating alcoholism with more alcohol. Treating alcohol withdrawal by giving more alcohol will certainly improve symptoms in the short-term. But the disease, the alcoholism will get worse.

Our standard accepted treatments were precisely how NOT to treat type 2 diabetes. It’s very difficult to assess how reversible a disease is when you’re feeding it instead of treating it. But when you look at diabetes through the lens of treatments that address core issues, the reversibility problem looks much, much clearer.

Are you feeling hopeful, inspired and ready to reclaim your health?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always have been pretty lean, when I graduated from HS I weighed 145 and stayed there for many years, the heaviest I have ever been was 205, right now I’m 175. I’m 5’ 10”, by the way.

I’m not sure how much the fur adds to the total. Wink
here's a term no one talks about: TOFI (thin outside, fat inside).

Fatty Liver Disease and Ketogenic Diets

At least two studies, one from Duke University, and one from Cambridge University have shown that reducing carbohydrate consumption and increasing saturated fat intake helps the liver shed excess fat in as little as three days.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Dr. Sarah is one smart lady: "the last time I checked, the problem with type 2 diabetes is that your blood sugar is too high".

https://denversdietdoctor.com/...for-type-2-diabetes/

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Dr. Sarah is one smart lady: "the last time I checked, the problem with type 2 diabetes is that your blood sugar is too high".

https://denversdietdoctor.com/...for-type-2-diabetes/
Excellent.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have been on Lantus for almost three years now, bruised myself like that just once, of course I have way more fat than you do.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I stopped taking Simvastatin my A1c dropped to 6.8 from 7.6. I am convinced Simvastatin caused my Type II. The doctor had me on 500mg for several years. In Europe, Type II is a known side effect of Statins in some people. European doctors do not hand Statins out like candy.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concur, Anush. I have refused statins for several years. Two years ago the AMA, I think it was, recommended statins for all diabetics regardless of other factors. Oh hell no.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I was diagnosed as T2 in 2005 with an A1c of 11.4.
I was 6'1" and 195 lbs. I was placed on Metformin, Actos, Simvastatin and Fenofibrate. I went to classes, sent to the diabetic dietary consultant. A year later I was prescribed insulin with a 9.7 A1c.
I dove headfirst into everything I could research about diabetes and came across Dr. Bernstein and his carb limit philosophy. Never filled the insulin prescription. Changed Dr.'s to one who would let me basically order tests and reality check me, but I was 100% the one making the medical decisions.
Here it is 13 years later and my last A1c was 4.8 on ZERO medications of any kind. I'm not a huge exercise guy, so these results are 95% diet. I just decided I liked having feet more than I like carbohydrates. Still 6'1". Still 195 lbs.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
I was diagnosed as T2 in 2005 with an A1c of 11.4.
I was 6'1" and 195 lbs. I was placed on Metformin, Actos, Simvastatin and Fenofibrate. I went to classes, sent to the diabetic dietary consultant. A year later I was prescribed insulin with a 9.7 A1c.
I dove headfirst into everything I could research about diabetes and came across Dr. Bernstein and his carb limit philosophy. Never filled the insulin prescription. Changed Dr.'s to one who would let me basically order tests and reality check me, but I was 100% the one making the medical decisions.
Here it is 13 years later and my last A1c was 4.8 on ZERO medications of any kind. I'm not a huge exercise guy, so these results are 95% diet. I just decided I liked having feet more than I like carbohydrates. Still 6'1". Still 195 lbs.

That is amazing. I've been Type 1 for 43 years, starting out with primitive insulins originating from slaugherhouses and no blood sugar meters of any kind. Yea that was fun. But the insulins and management tools today are light years ahead of all those years I suffered under those primitive drugs and protocols. There is permanent damage from those as well, but it's the best they had at the time. New diabetics today, as unfortunate as it is, are much better off than diabetics from way back. For that I'm thankful.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I have Type 2 for about 10 yrs now. About 2 years ago, I was precribed Lantus. To this day, I still hate injecting myself. There are times when I don’t feel anything. But there were times when it hurts like a SOB. I haven’t had bruises yet. But I sometimes get a notch at the injection site.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was labeled type 2 1/2 years ago by an overly aggressive PA, my A1C was 6.0. She put me on minimum dose of ACTOS. We move to Las Vegas area and the doctor looked at A1C results I had been getting advised try for 6 months off ACTOS. My fist A1C off ACTOS 5.4 and I have been off for over 2 years, lost 26 pounds through exercise and diet. One side effect of ACTOS is water retention so being off ACTOS may have contributed to weight loss.
Current DR could not believe with an A1C of 6 I would be labeled type 2.

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
The sun, and a razor. Wink

Lol Big Grin

Oh, that’s not the thickest part. Chest, shoulders and back, I tell people they’ll happily never see me shirtless because the Zoo will be getting all these calls about something escaped. “We can’t tell exactly what it is, but you need to get someone out here with a tranquilizer gun and recapture it!”
I have some friends like that. One of them even has to shave his neck down to where it's covered by his shirts.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I have some friends like that. One of them even has to shave his neck down to where it's covered by his shirts.

flashguy

Myself. I have to do the very same thing.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I’m also sort of surprised at those of you who were prescribed medication for a A1C of 5 or 6. Upon admittance to the hospital my A1C was 11.7 and it seems they want it at 7. At my first follow up last week it was already down to 10.1, apparently.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
A1C of 7.0 is the standard for Type 1 diabetics. Below that is better, but only up to a point. You have upper and lower control limits, and a sine wave of blood sugar level points if you will. When you dip above or below the upper and lower control limits, it creates problems (how or low blood sugar). If you move the sine wave lower, such as a mean A1C of say 5.5, then naturally you'll have more and severe hypoglycemic episodes, and the older you are, the less chance of coming out of it alive. That's why trying to get A1C as low as possible is problematic, there are no free lunches in that game. I've been there and done that, it's not worth the risk. It only takes one out of many incidents that you may not come out of, and possibly hurt others if you're driving etc. It can be frustrating, particularly for athletes or athletic endeavors that require a normal metabolism to reach the top of your game. That was my problem in college. Everytime I had a low blood sugar emergency and woke up in the emergency room, it took me a weeek or more to get back where I was phsically, after loosing the gains I had worked so hard for. It was very frustrating for a young fellow. And with the primitive insulins I was using at the time, hypoglycemia was the rule rather than the exception. Today's insulins are fantastic in that regard, it is a great relief in that sense.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post