SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it possible to change your R.E.M. sleep periods?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible to change your R.E.M. sleep periods? Login/Join 
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
Sleep cycles take several hours with the REM cycle starting at least an hour into sleep and lasts 15-30 minutes on average. In high school I used to get about 5 hours of sleep and I set my alarm to go off every 105 minutes (1hr 45mins). I'd get at least two good REM cycles over a 5-6 hour period and even now on nights where I have to be up early I do the same with satisfactory results.

If waking up at a certain time is tough, pull an all nighter and goto bed earlier the following day to get your usual X hours of sleep and be up by 4am.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
Sleep cycles take several hours with the REM cycle starting at least an hour into sleep and lasts 15-30 minutes on average. In high school I used to get about 5 hours of sleep and I set my alarm to go off every 105 minutes (1hr 45mins). I'd get at least two good REM cycles over a 5-6 hour period and even now on nights where I have to be up early I do the same with satisfactory results.

If waking up at a certain time is tough, pull an all nighter and goto bed earlier the following day to get your usual X hours of sleep and be up by 4am.

You're not a crew scheduler by chance are you?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
I'm not... God bless them. I've always been a night owl going to bed around 2am and have to be at work by 9:30. On nights like last night when I'm trying to sleep but still awake at 4am I use that trick and it works like a charm.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump. I'm looking at what I need to do to have a sleep study done.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
My wife's fit bit charts her sleep. You can see when you are restless or wake. Sometimes she has no idea she was so close to being awake. Other times you can see she slept well.

Worth a shot to monitor yourself and see what you are actually doing while sleeping.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post