SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need help regarding cold weather clothing
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help regarding cold weather clothing Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
For those of you who don’t remember or are new. I left Florida 6 years ago for the Navy. Spent 30 years living in the south, since then central California and Hawaii.

Well I find myself now in Korea, and damn it’s cold.

For those of you used to 30 degree and less, even sub zero temperatures. Can you recommend a good jacket?

I understand the layers part. I have sweaters, light jackets, thermals, hoodies, etc. but I’ve never had the need for a heavy duty jacket and I don’t want to buy one that “looks” warm when really it’s just for fashion.

Thanks in advance

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I find myself now in Korea, and damn it’s cold.

Yes, it gets cold in SOUTH Korea. Imagine how cold it gets in NORTH Korea.

BTW, we wore wool clothing, parka, pants, shirts, socks, gloves and wool caps with pull down flaps and we still were cold.

You will have to look for wool and down clothing and layer up. And look forward to Summer in Korea when it get HOT and MUGGY.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I know you'll get a lot of good suggestions, but for me, I like L.L.Bean.

I live northwest of Chicago and have this coat for when it gets cold.

Rugged Ridge Parka

And I have this coat for when it gets real cold.

Baxter State Parka

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I personally like wool. Quality wool. American or Canadian specifically. It is time tested and works. It is comfortable, breathes and is warm, very warm. Sheds water well too. I have all the newer stuff but my wool is the best. Bar none.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When we lived in Siberia my wife and I had down parkas; mine was from L L Bean: Gore-Tex outer, down insulation. It definitely kept me warm—-or at least what it covered up. If I could have found one a little longer, I would have preferred that. My wife’s I think came from Eddie Bauer.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
100 mile an hr fishing gear us some good stuff.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
KOREA== THERE IN 1969/70//// loose fitting layers.. down is great till it gets damp/wet--wool provides better protection when damp/wet.. outside layer should/must be wind retardant/resistant....... 1973 after arriving in ALASKA took wife to get good coat for winter she blew a gasket when I made her by a down parka...looking good and fashionable wont keep you warm...temps easily -50 degrees below zero F or better.. ACTUALLY outside at -82 degrees below zero F chill factor -127 degrees below F. ....... KEEP HEAD DOWN.. HURRY HOME FROM "land of the morning calm" ......... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Primaloft insulation is pretty light and down like, there is now an improved version but the name escapes me. 650 and greater lofting goose down is very nice but there are cleaning issues if that is a concern.

Wool is good but heavy and not generally wind proof, it certainly has its place though. If your determined to be warm in wool Filson is where you start. Double Mackinaw Cruiser is going to set you back around $400 hell maybe more by now, mines 10 years old.

What are the locals wearing? Find someone who looks particularly bundled up and quiz them. I meet plenty of transplants from the south at my job so I understand freezing your ass off. Silk weight long underwear should not be dismissed, seriously.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silk underwear is what serious motorcyclist's wear, along with heated gear. Heated coat was plugged in the bikes battery system. But not possible if wearer is walking.

Silk is warm. Check the young Korean girls and silk stocking they wear.

I would think that Silk underwear is available from professional motorcycle dealerships in Seoul.

Some Korean companies manufacture clothing and other accessories for the motorcycle market. I still own a Hein Gericke motorcycle COAT that must weight 40 pounds. I bought it some 40 years ago and it is warm but not needed in Arizona where i live.

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For good or riding the bike, Columbia.
All in one jacket with removable inner liner and hood. Outside is water proof. Inside is lined with a foil to reflect ones body heat. Sleeves have Velcro for tightening. Slightly long to keep the wind from going up your back. The outer liner also has zippers under the pit area for ventilation. Very nice feature for riding the bike in a warm rain.

This looks to be the one:
https://www.columbia.com/mens-...26!!!g!855910615874!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are the locals wearing

These are hardy people you will mix with. They're friendly toward Americans and they will help you find warm clothing.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Baxter State Parka

That's a clever name.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got this parka:

https://www.duluthtrading.com/...erwear-jackets-coats

Super warm and not too bulky, which is what I hate. I would highly recommend it.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have a couple coats I will probably never wear again as I relocated to Arizona.

I have a Stone Island parka that is the warmest coat I have ever owned. That said their current selection is crap.

Helly Hanson Alpha line, or Arctic line.

North face Expedition line.

The Helly Hanson Arctic line is quite warm, waterproof and comfortable.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
What are the locals wearing

These are hardy people you will mix with. They're friendly toward Americans and they will help you find warm clothing.

^^^^^^ This! Also, are you going to be outside standing/working a lot, or just going from place to place? If you are outside a lot, then you will need something heavy duty and so on. But, if you are looking for daily wear from home to work, store, and so on, then you can downsize a little. If you wear to heavy/bulky and move a lot, you will generate sweat, then you are in trouble.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
For ranching- type work my wife and I have used Carhartt for years. IMO nothing else comes close to the quality and functionality.

I like the sandstone duck because it's already "broken in". Regular duck is tougher but much stiffer at first.

The arctic quilt lining is great by itself, but if you layer properly it will handle well below zero with no problems.

Carhartt

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm retired, but spend a lot of time outdoors. Since I'm old & the circulation isn't as good as it used to be, just being "not cold" just ain't good enough anymore. I like to be warm.

I have a Baxter State parka that I bought at a LL Bean outlet store in Maine several years ago. I live in the mountains of PA & it gets pretty cold here, but that parka only gets worm on the coldest, windiest, most miserable days because it's usually too warm for moderate activity. That may be what you're looking for.

My daily wear is usually a hooded, insulated Carhart jacket. For colder weather I add an insulated vest under the jacket & maybe even a pair of uninsulated Carhart bibs over my jeans. A good scarf & wool hat will also increase your comfort rating.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
LL Bean and Eddie Bauer are my go to brands - quality, and they make tall sizes (for men and women).

Eddie Bauer has a major sale (50% off) going on right now...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It gets pretty cold up here in Michigan, too. A few years ago I acquired a Columbia Interchange tri-season jacket. The "Summit Crest III" in their current catalogue looks about right.

With a decent base layer, flannel or wool shirt, jeans and a pair of Merino wool socks I haven't had the need to don my big Eddie Bauer goose down coat more than once or twice, since.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I literally work next door to Columbia Sportswear HQ. I walk to the employee store on my breaks if I need something. The Omni-Heat waterproof line is great. Get the two-part parka as someone already described above. My family is entirely outfitted with Columbia from head to toe.

I've used their stuff for skiing and rolling around in the snow and it's been great. They also own Sorel and Mountain Hardwear.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post