SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need help regarding cold weather clothing
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help regarding cold weather clothing Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Go to the Uniqlo store. They should have one in Korea.

Get a moisture wicking base layer, throw on a Merino wool mid layer, and a seamless down parka or jacket. Throw some moisture wicking underwear on too.

Uniqlo is a Japanese brand of high quality , affordable, basics. I find their warm weather gear to be a great value for the price.

That explains why when I go there the majority of customers and employees are Asian. I was wondering why. I don't shop there, just fix electrical things when they break.

I always thought of them as like and H&M. So do you really consider them a quality brand? If so the few things I glanced at while walking the isles seemed like a really good value.

As a side, side note. You would not believe the amount of volume they do. They get and put out hundreds of boxes of clothes every couple days, enough to completely fill a UPS truck or two. Steady stream of customers coming and going from open to close.

Yes, I like their stuff. For base layers and mid layers, I've trusted their stuff for long backpacking trips. All my basics, like Weight to performance to price ratio is good. (Though I go with outdoor brands for things that need to be seam sealed) Heavy duty YKK zippers on their cotton blend hoodies. I've noticed that some of their technical stuff uses Today fabrics (Kuiu uses Toray fabrics).

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of fleece vests. You can wear them under a shell and it doesn't restrict your movement like a big ass jacket will. Quality shell with a vest.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:I've noticed that some of their technical stuff uses Today fabrics (Kuiu uses Toray fabrics).

Toray is a Japanese textile brand and one of the big ones, along with Toyota and Mitsui. Toray's Entrant fabric tech for awhile competed against GoreTex in the early 90's, its what The North Face initially used in their Steep Tech ski line. It didn't breath very well but, was the only alternative to Gore at the time. The interior would wet-out fast.

Currently, Toray's Dermizak fabric is used in a variety of high-end ski brands. Like all Japanese textiles, the fabric is very, very nice, which also means premium price points. The polyurethane laminate underneath works, its basic PU bonded to a premium textile, however it's better in winter conditions, instead of wet, long exposure conditions. Kuiu exclusively uses Toray for most of their fabrics in order to get a better price, however putting all your eggs in one basket can be hazardous for supply chain management should anything happen.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Take advantage of technology. Columbia Omni Heat. I live in Wisconsin so warm clothing is a must...

Posts: 1349 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have this exact coat. With a flanel shirt and a mid weight fleece pull over I've been warm down into single digit temps.

quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I know you'll get a lot of good suggestions, but for me, I like L.L.Bean.

I live northwest of Chicago and have this coat for when it gets cold.

Rugged Ridge Parka

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Columbia and underarmour has an omni heat and infrared line that reflects your body heat back. IT WORKS!!! Great for long-johns!

Do you have experience with it? I found out about it when researching better glove liners, never could find a good review back then.

Not the glove liners, but the undershirts-

I love both Underarmor and the Columbia! Wicks sweat away, reflects bodyheat back. I wear them with my uniform in the winter. Works like a charm.

I got mine off of climb.com
$45 a shirt IIRC. Well worth it!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8337 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Columbia and underarmour has an omni heat and infrared line that reflects your body heat back. IT WORKS!!! Great for long-johns!

Do you have experience with it? I found out about it when researching better glove liners, never could find a good review back then.

Not the glove liners, but the undershirts-

I love both Underarmor and the Columbia! Wicks sweat away, reflects bodyheat back. I wear them with my uniform in the winter. Works like a charm.

I got mine off of climb.com
$45 a shirt IIRC. Well worth it!

My whole family is set up with Omni-Heat long johns. They work! Columbia offers Omni-heat in their top-line gloves, beanies and snow shoes as well.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
For ranching- type work my wife and I have used Carhartt for years. IMO nothing else comes close to the quality and functionality.

I like the sandstone duck because it's already "broken in". Regular duck is tougher but much stiffer at first.

The arctic quilt lining is great by itself, but if you layer properly it will handle well below zero with no problems.

Carhartt

Another vote for Carhartt here. Practical durability that will keep you warm down into the negative temps. It'll last for years, too.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I live in PA. It get's well under 20 much of the winter. Sometimes below zero. I'm using this last year and this. I love it. Thin enough, and nice and warm.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/3...en/?sp=1&color=Storm

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Who still makes a quality wool coat that doesn't cost $500+? I saw people mention them, but they seem to be junk or very expensive.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Who still makes a quality wool coat that doesn't cost $500+? I saw people mention them, but they seem to be junk or very expensive.

Honestly, hit a military surplus store and grab a Navy Pea Coat.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8337 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I have a general purpose down coat from Eddie Bauer which I rarely ever wear because it is just too hot. I took it to Missoula, Montana in February’17 where it was below freezing most of the time. I could never zip it up, and I was actually dripping sweat while wearing it. I just wish I had warm feet and hands since I have no circulation in them.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the Arc'teryx Atom jacket as well. I live in CT & ride motorcycles year round. I have battery operated, rechargeable gloves that are heated. I own no other heated gear. I have ridden when it was only 10 degrees out at highway speeds & the only thing that was cold was my forehead & I even had a full face helmet on. When it is really cold, I layer 2 of the Arc'teryx Atom jackets together. 1st one was a gift, 2nd one I got used off eBay for $25. It is the perfect year round jacket cos it is super thin, you don't overheat in it when it is hot out, & it is super warm. The 2 thin ones layered are warmer than my heavy leather motorcycle jacket with the insulated liner in it.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Wife gets cold easily, I bought her a Canada Goose jacket. They are not cheap, but she's not cold anymore.

Another vote for Canada Goose parkas.

I am from Chicago and have dealt with some pretty cold temps. I always considered myself a hardy midwesterner and not bothered by winter's bite.

Fast forward to today, where I have spent the last 23 years in Northern VA. Now, I have become 'soft' WRT colder temps. A Canada Goose Expedition Parka solved those issues.

Pricey, yes, but it could be the last coat you ever buy.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post