SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need help regarding cold weather clothing
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help regarding cold weather clothing Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wife gets cold easily, I bought her a Canada Goose jacket. They are not cheap, but she's not cold anymore.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Another vote for SILK (underwear). Long johns are the best, they keep your body temperature. Get also silk undergloves.

For outerwear, i`d research mountaneering clothing. It`s light, not bulky at all and also protects you from the environment without restraining your movements.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of different things around here to keep me warm this time of year but it seems I always end up grabbing something by Carhart.

Carhart clothes are very well made and durable. I have found their jeans for everyday use are really tough to beat. Another thing, they are true to size. Wait for a sale and they can become quite affordable.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When the CG changed uniforms in the early 2000s I had to get an All WeatherParka, made by Propper. It came with the zip in fleece liner but now is sold separately. They did away with the pea coat years ago and we only had a London fog coat for our dress uniforms. For cold weather gear we were issued standard military olive drab coats with a liner....

The all weather parka is the shit. Even though my pay was deducted for the cost of the parka it was worth it. Keeps me dry and warm down below zero.

I imagine any jacket with a gortex outer and a fleece inner will work.

Also you might add panty hose and or long johns under your pants...seems silly, but being warm is more important to me then fashion.(I’m a Florida boy too)

Good luck on your search, stay warm and thanks for your service

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
2nd ID from 94-95 and it gets very cold especially on the hill tops...but back then poly pro underwear and a gore-tex shell/pant (Army issue) worked well for me unless I was in a static position...there again it worked for me at Drum and it's colder at Drum.

Depending on the activities you are going to be performing.

For static -
https://www.hellyhansen.com/en...svalbard-parka-53150

I bought one as I moved back to PA with a heavy parka, it is very well made and very warm and water proof.

For something where you are going to be moving alot find a good gore-tex shell, LL Bean and Acteryx (sp) make some very good ones and then a 300 weight polypro for underneath.

A good wool beenie or the go down rage and get a mad bomber hat...the old army issue winter hat was good.

Doesn't the Navy issue pea coats anymore?, I had an issue one for years and that thing rocked....it was too warm for anything but hours of non movement and that huge collar was great to hide behind.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Look at the backpacker's...Patagonia, Northface and my favorite Mountain Hard Wear. Get polypro for undies and layers, a vest is nice too, get a parka with a hood.

I was outside at -40 temps , have lived in N. Central Montana since 1979. Trust me.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I lived in South Korea for two years where I was typically out all day during the winter walking or riding a bike and I can attest Korea can by quite cold. Currently, I live in an area very similar to Korea in temperatures so I’ve experimented with a lot of different gear to keep warm while hunting/fishing/football games, etc. I’ve come to really like the Columbia OmniHeat and OmniTech gear. The reflective technology really seems to work well and the insulation Columbia uses is quite warm by itself. I recently was at a late start night football game where the temperature, at the start of the game, was in the 20’s plus we had wind. As you sit for 3-4 hours, you really don’t get your blood moving and so you usually feel like it is much colder than it really is. For this game, I layered with Columbi OmniHeat thermals, LL Bean flannel jeans and Columbia OmniTech/OmniHeat ski pants on the bottom with a similar situation for the top top only with a OmniHeat vest as well. I was perfectly fine the entire game and didn’t feel the cold at all. All in all, I wish I had an OmniHeat coat when I as living in Korea years ago and would recommend you try their gear out.

Edited to add that you need to make sure you have good boots and a hat. Without them, you will still get cold quite quickly.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A slight thread drift. I have skinny fingers. When I lived in Minnesota I never found any gloves or mittens that kept them warm. If I still lived there I’d be looking for electrically heated gloves.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the money, the efficiency, and the lightweight to heat ratio I highly recommend any of the Columbia jackets that use their proprietary thermo heat and 3D thermo heat.

It looks like the aluminum survival blankets on the inside. Years ago my wife bought one (notoriously cold woman, temperature not personality lol) and bragged about it. I ignored her till I got my first one. Holy crap. I have never had a better product. Inexpensive as well. I probably have 7 different jackets, in all my vehicles in different colors. If you even pretend to layer you are comfortable at very cold temps. If it rains I just put a thin water proof layer over the top.

Posts: 7478 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
Lots of good recommendations here, one thing to consider that I didn’t see mentioned is the activity level intended for the jacket. If you’re looking for warm while walking/moving more than short distances the choices\considerations are going to be different than if you’re looking for warmth while stationary or just traveling short distances. Active insulation like primaloft gold is exceptional while moving and still breathing as to not get too hot.

My personal pick is the Arcteryx Atom LT as the perfect “if you could only own one” moderate cold weather jacket. It’s super popular so you can usually get it on-sale for good price points, and it works well for just about everything except high output activities like running or weather involving mod/heavy rain.

It’s my everyday jacket in the winter and I’ll usually ski in it down to the low 30(F)s. If you get cold easily than there is also the Atom AR.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Korea, so it's gotta be black.

Personally, I like a jacket/ parka with a liner.
A good sturdy outer jacket that's water and wind proof with a good liner that you can use as a jacket as well.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/...erwear-jackets-coats

I sent my brother one of these when the poor guy left sunny Southern California for Rhode Island. He's now in your neck of the woods. Zero complaints from him.

Columbia, Patagonia, north face has a few as well.
Carhartt and Duluth make a great outdoor product. Underarmour is another great jacket.

Columbia and underarmour has an omni heat and infrared line that reflects your body heat back. IT WORKS!!! Great for long-johns!

Nothing wrong with a good old Navy Pea coat!

Take a look at flannel lined jeans as well.

Aceterex and Canada Down are phenomenal, but you're PAYING $$$$ for their products.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Columbia and underarmour has an omni heat and infrared line that reflects your body heat back. IT WORKS!!! Great for long-johns!

Do you have experience with it? I found out about it when researching better glove liners, never could find a good review back then.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NVM -- re-read the post and see it says Duty related ---

if looking good matters I'd rock a thick wool coat with layers underneath

something like this:

https://www.filson.com/mackina...010044-fco-000000155

----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’ve used a Cabelas down parka for years. Warm as long as I don’t soak it with sweat. Has Goretex inside.

A good Carhartt works too. They have the Arctic series.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Go to the Uniqlo store. They should have one in Korea.

Get a moisture wicking base layer, throw on a Merino wool mid layer, and a seamless down parka or jacket. Throw some moisture wicking underwear on too.

Uniqlo is a Japanese brand of high quality, affordable, basics. I find their warm weather gear to be a great value for the price.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

I’ll update that this jacket is for off duty. New NWU only allow for a few jackets so if I get too cold I’ll buy the new type 3 2 piece parka.

This jacket is for moving around town, from house to bus, walking the streets, waiting at the bus stop, etc.

My navy peacoat has worked well but I would like a second options because the peacoat is great u til about 25 degrees then I’m needing something heavier.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wear layers, name brands won't keep you warm. I wear a long John top, pocket tee shirt, flannel shirt, and a pull over hoodie, if needed some type of jacket to break the wind... it's like 20° here right now...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Go to the Uniqlo store. They should have one in Korea.

Get a moisture wicking base layer, throw on a Merino wool mid layer, and a seamless down parka or jacket. Throw some moisture wicking underwear on too.

Uniqlo is a Japanese brand of high quality , affordable, basics. I find their warm weather gear to be a great value for the price.

That explains why when I go there the majority of customers and employees are Asian. I was wondering why. I don't shop there, just fix electrical things when they break.

I always thought of them as like and H&M. So do you really consider them a quality brand? If so the few things I glanced at while walking the isles seemed like a really good value.

As a side, side note. You would not believe the amount of volume they do. They get and put out hundreds of boxes of clothes every couple days, enough to completely fill a UPS truck or two. Steady stream of customers coming and going from open to close.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

My navy peacoat has worked well but I would like a second options because the peacoat is great u til about 25 degrees then I’m needing something heavier.

Good lord I've stood some quarterdeck watches in PoHang and Pusan in the dead of winter. Wearing corfam shoes felt like standing on a bed of nails.

Have you looked at the REI Stormhenge? It's filled with 850 down and just as good as Arc'teryx or Canada Goose but you're not paying extra for the name. Also, as others have said, wear some silk underneath it all. It helps a lot.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in the outdoor industry for one of the major brands so, I'll give you the over view of things and you can dive a little deeper if you'd like.

Without specifics to your needs, this is all pretty general. You mentioned 'heavy duty' is that in reference to abrasion and usage or, the type of weather you're expecting?

The Korean peninsula is bone cold for a solid chunk of the year, no surprise why Korean cuisine has a lot of soups, stews and spice to it. Insulation is what you want for a jacket, with a series of mid-layers underneath. Insulation comes in two flavors, down or, synthetic. Down is fantastic in its longevity, lightweight and compressibility, however it's speedy compared to synthetics and its useless when it gets wet so, don't get it wet or, use during sweaty activities. Synthetic excels because it's cheaper than down, and continues to work when wet, the flip-side it's heavier and bulkier than down. Both insulations have their basic versions that are more affordable and less performance based, and higher performing styles, which correlate with cost.

All the brands listed will have their high-speed, technical styles, along with basic, simple styles. Arc'Teryx, The North Face, Marmot, Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, Black Diamond, Mammut, Rab...these are all brands rooted in the mountaineering world and utilize the materials and construction detail for those endeavors, along with more general use styles. Columbia is similar in they use similar materials however they are unabashedly centrist, their products are more price-sensitive and not looking to compete with the above mentioned brands. Hunting brands like Simms, Kuiu, Sitka use similar materials and construction, however their selection is much more limited as they're also smaller company's.

Brands like Canada Goose, Moncler, Colmar, Super Dry, etc.. these are brands more rooted in lifestyle, thus their pricing and features will be different compared to the above mentioned technical brands. I should point-out, Canada Goose does have a series of more technical or, 'hard use' jackets which are pretty much the standard for Arctic usage.

LL Bean, Duluth, Filson, Pendelton, Eddie Bauer, are principally lifestyle brands however they all fulfill a user/style niche, and have suitable styles within their line that may work for your needs.

If you can be a bit more specific about what you're looking for, and budget, we can narrow down some suggestions.

Also, shop at Uniqlo. Japanese version of Gap, they use the same materials as the technical outdoor brands but, less QC and detail. Their underwear and mid-layers are a fantastic value and work very well, their outerwear not so much.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post