SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooking bacon.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cooking bacon. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a large ridged cast iron pan I Put in the grill and heat it up, when hot in goes the bacon. Works great and picks up a bit more smoke along the way.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2887 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Slow cooked on the stove top, in a cast iron pan with a cast iron press, till crispy.

Results are evenly cooked bacon, which is flat. Good for eating by itself or sticking it on a burger or BLE (bacon, lettuce and egg).

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I fry it. Maybe that's what you fancy high-profile people mean by "sauté".

Yep down here we just fry it and eat it

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Slow cooked on the stove top, in a cast iron pan with a cast iron press, till crispy.

Results are evenly cooked bacon, which is flat. Good for eating by itself or sticking it on a burger or BLE (bacon, lettuce and egg).

If you've never done it before put both the bacon and egg on the burger and you really have something.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Where's the 'cook in non-stick pan on the stove and make a huge freaking mess' choice? Smile

This ^^^^^

Speaking of cast iron pans, does anyone treat the outside bottom? I noticed mine being slightly blackish-rusty. I cleaned and greased it, but that will soon burn off.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of cast iron pans, does anyone treat the outside bottom? I noticed mine being slightly blackish-rusty. I cleaned and greased it, but that will soon burn off.

Yes. When I lightly re-grease mine after each use, I finish with a quick swipe across the bottom as well.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I clean mine with hot water and a scouring pad, then wipe them down with a little oil. It's important not to use soap.

My two, a 12" and an 8", belonged to my grandma and have been in regular use for at least a century.

On the subject of the term 'sauté':

I think it is useful to distinguish between (at least) two completely different cooking processes.

'Fry' = immersing the food completely in hot fat, like French fried taters.

'Sauté' = cooking the food in a small amount of fat in pan/skillet, like bacon.

'Southern fry' = cooking the food in a skillet with enough fat to come about halfway up on it, like chicken. It's sort of a hybrid of the above two methods.

It's time for a late breakfast. Guess what the dog and I will have.

Right. Kellogg's Corn Flakes with skimmed milk and Splenda. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
For anyone that Souis Vides, before you go to bed at night, set temp to 147, put your pouch of bacon in and let it cook all night. In the morning, heat your skillet, open the pouch and drain the bacon, then crisp it in skillet.

Some of the best bacon we've ever had. We use thick sliced bacon from butcher shop.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I use an old sunbeam electric skillet @ 340*
Like this one.... but I don't use the lid when cooking bacon. In fact, I'm using it right now. Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget the bacon weave or as zoom6zoom has named it, the 'bacon lattice and tomato sandwich. This is best done in the microwave.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

If you've never done it before put both the bacon and egg on the burger and you really have something.

Never at home, but I've had it at Steak-n-Shake 'Royale Steakburger' and their Western BBQ n Bacon Burger is also very good. Just drop the diced onions.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Missing too is frying it crisp in a cast iron pan.

+1

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Not intending to be totally contrarian, but why does everyone insist on cooking bacon to death? The older I am getting, the less I cook bacon. As soon as it gets a hint of brown on it, it comes out of the frying pan. Delicious!

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Report This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Boston:
Not intending to be totally contrarian, but why does everyone insist on cooking bacon to death? The older I am getting, the less I cook bacon. As soon as it gets a hint of brown on it, it comes out of the frying pan. Delicious!

I like my bacon crispy. Tastes better to me that way. And when I take a bite of my sandwich, the bacon breaks off and doesn't get dragged out.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I fry mine on cast iron outside on a primus propane stove.

Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned this her before I cook bacon in a pan on the stove making a huge splatter mess method but I also, for special occasions like Christmas, I cook it on the grill and add BBQ sauce. For Christmas my family gets together and everybody brings some breakfast item. I am usually volunteered to bring the BBQ Bacon.

I started this by accident years ago when I was cooking pork steaks on the grill and saw a couple of slices of bacon left in the fridge looking lonely. I figured I could cook the bacon while also cooking the pork steaks, have a snack and nobody will be the wiser. It turned out so good that I took it inside and let the family try it....HUGE MISTAKE. They loved it. *WARNING* you have to watch it closely and cook it kind of slow until the fat renders off or it flairs up and burns. PLUS that rendered fat has to go somewhere...usually overflowing to grease catcher pan and making a mess under your grill.

Try it though, You'll thank me or hate me. Big Grin

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Never the microwave, for me. I prefer the oven on racks or on the stove in a skillet.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Boston:

I agree wholeheartedly!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Cook it in a 12" cast iron pan. Keeps it seasoned well.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mas4363:
For anyone that Souis Vides, before you go to bed at night, set temp to 147, put your pouch of bacon in and let it cook all night. In the morning, heat your skillet, open the pouch and drain the bacon, then crisp it in skillet.

Some of the best bacon we've ever had. We use thick sliced bacon from butcher shop.

I wanted to be the first to mention Sous Vide, but you beat me to it! I tried it with my standard thin sliced bacon, though, and it disintegrated as I pulled it from the package to fry. (Filet mignon is fabulous this way, finished in a burning hot cast iron skillet in butter).

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post