SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooking bacon.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Poll Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cooking bacon. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Bacon, being nature's perfect food, is close to everyone's heart: If no other way than as plaque in our coronary arteries.

Question:
So, how do you cook your bacon?

Choices:
Bake/broil it in the oven
Saute it in a pan
Microwave it
Other (please describe)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Where's the 'cook in non-stick pan on the stove and make a huge freaking mess' choice? Smile

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Missing too is frying it crisp in a cast iron pan.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I find baking is the best way to cook all parts equally, and you can cook in bulk this way.

Posts: 225 | Location: WA | Registered: April 13, 2016Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I fry it. Maybe that's what you fancy high-profile people mean by "sauté".

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I've started baking my bacon. Since the fat should be rendered slowly, baking is what works best. Aluminum foil on a baking/cookie sheet, lay slices evenly on foil (try not to stretch the slices), place baking/cookie sheet in COLD oven and set for 400*. Check it in about 17-18 minutes and it should be done.

I need a larger baking/cookie sheet.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Wait... It's supposed to be cooked first?
Ooooops.

Wink

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I nuke mine. You need to cover it with a paper towel or something to keep it from splattering all over the inside of the microwave. I don't paint it with maple syrup or honey; that's gilding the lily.

You might want to give it a try. If it's good enough for Jacques Pepin, it's good enough for me.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNYL9mLAFyY

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
recently had some bacon left over when making bacon burgers on the grill.
so i laid a few strips on my veggie grill tray over the coals. it was pretty amazing. normally saturday or sunday breakfast i pan fry it.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amsmith281:
I find baking is the best way to cook all parts equally, and you can cook in bulk this way.

When I worked in a restaurant some 40 years ago, that's how they did it. Full sized baking sheets hold a lot of bacon.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the spiritual experience of cooking it slowly in my huge old Griswold cast iron skillet, while turning and rotating it. The turning & rotating scratches the same manly itch as poking a campfire with a stick. The added benefit is properly seasoning my iron in the process, with bacon grease like it's been getting seasoned for the last hundred years or so.

That said, with our huge family, I'm usually cooking two pounds at a time, and the skillet still isn't big enough. Lately, the aforementioned cold oven trick with foiled baking sheets has worked well, and still lets me pour off the grease into a jar for later use.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
How do I cook bacon? Fully clothed.

I learned to always wear clothing. Damn it, bacon grease splatters hurt like a sumbitch!

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Broiled, but in a countertop toaster oven, not the big oven. Pan-frying it doesn't cook it as evenly, and microwaving it is too soggy.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
A friend's mom makes flour bacon. Dredge thick bacon in seasoned flour and fry in a little bacon grease in pre-heated cast iron skillet.

We bake ours on large sheet pans lined with parchment paper.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Report This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
lined with parchment paper

....when proper bacon is available for eating I'm usually too busy to read.....

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Missing too is frying it crisp in a cast iron pan.

^^^^^this^^^^^

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
I cook it in a small aluminum pan on the warming rack on the grill.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
I prefer the spiritual experience of cooking it slowly in my huge old Griswold cast iron skillet, while turning and rotating it. The turning & rotating scratches the same manly itch as poking a campfire with a stick. The added benefit is properly seasoning my iron in the process, with bacon grease like it's been getting seasoned for the last hundred years or so.

That said, with our huge family, I'm usually cooking two pounds at a time, and the skillet still isn't big enough.

That just means that you need a bigger skillet. Big Grin

I agree completely with your first paragraph. I always low cook it in a Griswold to a chewy goodness. Can't stand crunchy overcooked bacon. If I'm in a hurry though, I'll nuke it.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Cast iron pan on the BBQ grill, I'm not sure if that's more ft or bake. Sometimes on a sheet of foil on the BBQ.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Boiled?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post