SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Alaskan arrested at southern British Columbia border for smuggling weapons into Canada"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Alaskan arrested at southern British Columbia border for smuggling weapons into Canada" Login/Join 
posted
"Seized weapons included four semiautomatic rifles and three handguns, all prohibited in Canada. Also seized were a restricted handgun and six nonrestricted long guns, the agency said."

The link has a good photo of his, er...collection." This was not a case of "Oops, I forgot."

Complete article:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-new...anada-officials-say/

Alaskan arrested at southern British Columbia border for smuggling weapons into Canada, officials say

Author: Zaz Hollander clock Updated: 6 minutes ago calendar Published 6 minutes ago

A 33-year-old Alaskan was charged this week with smuggling weapons into Canada after border officials in British Columbia seized 14 firearms including semiautomatic rifles, authorities announced Friday.

Corey Scott Kettering was arrested and released on an undertaking -- the equivalent of a court summons -- following “an incident” at the Abbotsford-Huntingdon port of entry east of Vancouver in late July, according to a release from the Canada Border Services Agency.

Citing the ongoing investigation, an agency spokesman declined to provide additional details about the encounter, or say whether Kettering was actively concealing the weapons or failed to declare them.

Seized weapons included four semiautomatic rifles and three handguns, all prohibited in Canada. Also seized were a restricted handgun and six nonrestricted long guns, the agency said.

Kettering could not be contacted for comment Friday. His hometown in Alaska wasn’t immediately known.

Last fiscal year, the CBSA seized 753 firearms across Canada, said agency spokesman Luke Reimer. “This is certainly a significant seizure.”

He said the agency encourages travelers to “leave their firearms at home” when entering Canada. Otherwise weapons need to be declared at the first border crossing encountered and must meet Canadian weapons regulations.

Kettering is scheduled to appear in Abbotsford Provincial Court on Monday to face charges of smuggling, making false or deceptive statements, possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition, and unauthorized possession of a firearm.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Screw canada

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Feel good bullshit. Makes zero difference to the bad guys.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Look I am a law abiding person and I certainly don’t condone smuggling arms into Canada but Jesus isn’t there like 1500 miles of land locked wilderness as a border? I mean how hard would it be to get stuff to or from away from prying eyes.

You have to believe they were watching this dude for some time.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Look I am a law abiding person and I certainly don’t condone smuggling arms into Canada but Jesus isn’t there like 1500 miles of land locked wilderness as a border? I mean how hard would it be to get stuff to or from away from prying eyes.

They don’t catch the smart ones.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

If you look at the guns, it sure looks like a personal collection being moved to a new home. Muzzle loader, shotgun, a couple hunting rifles and a few handguns.
More than likely he felt it would be easier to lie to the border guards than deal with the paperwork.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSE:
If you look at the guns, it sure looks like a personal collection being moved to a new home.

If that's the case then he's so stupid perhaps it's just as well he no longer has firearms. There is a ferry system that will take you between Washington and Alaska, bypassing the need to travel through Canada.

Hell, I know this and I'm nearly all the way on the other side of the continent.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told awhile back that the US / Canada border is patrolled by drones.
I dont know if thats accurate or not.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I was told awhile back that the US / Canada border is patrolled by drones.
I dont know if thats accurate or not.

Don't know if Canada uses UAVs but, CBP does use a variant of the Predator to patrol out of Grand Forks.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
TSE:
If you look at the guns, it sure looks like a personal collection being moved to a new home. Muzzle loader, shotgun, a couple hunting rifles and a few handguns.

Yeah, and you can mail a firearm to yourself at another location....

Likely, this story is not all if the story

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I travelled into Canada twice a year for dive trips in the Kingston area. I was told in no uncertain terms do not attempt to bring any firearms into the country.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Have you ever noticed that during the winter olympic competition how many people that are representing their home country but reside/live in the United States because this allows them to practice because firearms are not allowed in their home countries. ............ While on active duty (US Army)and on PCS( traveling by personal vehicle) headed to next duty station in Alaska when crossing the Canada border they were not interested in my hunting rifle but placed the Ruger Blachawk (3 screw) 357mag in a sealed bag with a serial numbered seal and ammo placed in simular bag with the warning that IF for any reason that these seals were broken that I was to immedately go out of my way to find a MOUNTIE and explain why the seal was broken and it would be re-checked at border crossing at the other end. Which it was checked with ser# verification and was allowed to continue my travel. Some people here in the US do not realize how lucky they are. ................................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
If you look at the guns, it sure looks like a personal collection being moved to a new home.

If that's the case then he's so stupid perhaps it's just as well he no longer has firearms. There is a ferry system that will take you between Washington and Alaska, bypassing the need to travel through Canada.

Hell, I know this and I'm nearly all the way on the other side of the continent.

No ferry right now. Also...most of the guns he lost wouldn't be allowed with any amount of paperwork.

Thousands of people are fleeing Alaska right now. It's quite expensive to pay FFL's to move that stuff. A lot of old timers have always ignored canada's stupid rules. Heck, lower 48 tourists do it all the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
No ferry right now.

Are you certain? The Alaska Marine Highway System web page suggests otherwise.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Driving to Alaska, I stopped in Beaver Creek, where Canadian customs were. Late at night somebody starts banding on the door. “Are you an American?” They say you are!”
Dummy was leaving Alaska and tried to smuggle a pistol. The custom’s agent caught him and sent him back to a trading post With an FFL. Dummy, then drives around, returns and claims he’s shipped the gun. The customs agent snorts, says he has no receipt and the trading post always calls in a report.
She sends him to the motel to see if and American would carry it to the trading post the next day. Hence the knock on the door. He tries to sell it to me I say “no” and we go meet the agent He gives me cash To ship.
The next morning I pick up the gun and talk to the agent. Seems people don’t want to make the trip back so, before being caught toss the guns into the bush. The local kids search and too often pick up the guns. Taking the gun, I drive to American customs then to the trading post. They won’t ship as they need to know the FFL. By now I’m heartily sick of The whole thing. I leave the gun, sign in to Wainwright and mail dummy the receipt and money, certified mail.
A month later I get a call at the clinic. Dummy wants his gun. I asked if he read the letter? Nope. Hadn’t looked through his mail. Told him to sign for the letter and leave me along.
Could you get through? Probably. However, those that try aren’t very smart.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we moved up here last year it was easy to bring guns, i filled out a form 6 weeks ahead of time and got approval for my 9mm 1911 and declared the 12g pump shotgun at the boarder.

The BP didn't even look at my firearms.

I've heard it's worse after some laws were changed this year, I'm not looking forward to going back through...

Also the ferry system is all fucked up right now, we are only getting service every other weekend and looks like that will end in November to the Price William Sound.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Ferry system is beyond FUBAR right now with Covid shutdowns and boats out of service due to maintenance issues. You may be able to get from Bellingham, WA to southeast Alaska. Even then Skagway and Haines are the only ports that connect to the road system. With each one of those one has to exit Alaska, enter Canada, hook up with the ALCAN Highway and then re-enter Alaska. Service to Whittier is extremely limited right now and the ferries do not enter the Gulf Of Alaska to service Whittier from late fall until late spring. When I moved up here almost 2 years ago, the ferry from Bellingham to Whittier was not an option in mid-October.

Traveling through Canada with firearms is a major PITA. There's a lot of rules to comply with and some things just cannot be transported across the border. I jumped through the hoops and the paperwork when I moved up here. Some things that I couldn't transport across Canada I brought up later as checked luggage on a commercial flight.

Taking the attitude of keeping your mouth shut and hoping that customs won't notice will probably not end well. In addition to fines in the thousands, the firearms are going to be confiscated and there's also the possibility of the vehicle being confiscated as well.

While I don't agree with Canada's laws, I don't have much sympathy for this guy. Do your homework, know the laws and come up with a strategy to be in compliance with them.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
^^^

That last sentence says it all.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
We expect immigrants/guests here to observer our laws. Why should Canada be different?

Couple of thousand years ago, this was news: "When in Rome, do as the Romans."

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I don't know why any freedom-loving person would live in Canada now. Unfortunately, the same goes for Australia, the UK or any other western nation now except the USA, or at least large parts of it. Maybe I am wrong, but we seem to be the last free nation on the planet.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post