SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boomerangs for the Grandkids. Any advice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boomerangs for the Grandkids. Any advice? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
So I picked up a $10 boomerang for the Grandkids on a whim. I had one as a kid but never got much out of it. Having 3.5 acres now so some room to play with one I thought they might get 10 bucks worth of fun with it.

Boy was I wrong... a couple of the boys love it! Best 10 bucks I have spent in a while and they actually have had some fair luck at making it return.

The one I got was cheap laminated wood and looks pretty crudely made and shaped and has now been damaged somewhat by collisions with trees and etc.

Anyway, thinking I might pick up another one I searched Amazon and holy cow, dozens of variations. Two, three, four bladed, triangle and etc etc.

If any of you have any personal experience or recommendations for a good beginner / kids model I'd like to hear it. Was looking to spend up to 50 bucks maybe on one.

Thanks!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Advice? Yes- eye protection.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
And a helmet too.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Roger that! The instructions say "Once thrown, don't take your eye off the boomerang"

I was thinking maybe a bike helmet as well!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Don't sharpen em!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Do not buy the Acme brand, just ask Wile E Coyote. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I remember playing with these when I was younger. They were pretty fun and safe and worked well.

Aerobie Orbiter Boomerang

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, boomerangs.

Mate what a lot of fun!

On Amazon, check out the range from Colorado Boomerangs. Those Blue Speed racers or the Glacier are good for young 'uns to learn on.

Look for the classic wood boomerang; paxolin or carbon fiber next choices. I've not tried any other materials.

Most boomerangs are for right handers. Left handed boomerangs can be had. Just be sure to check the orientation.

When looking at designs, the ones that do come back have an aircraft wing design look - thick on the leading edges and thinning out to a trailing edge taper. If you don't see that taper, well it's likely not a returning boomerang. The cheap boomerangs from China, generally do not return.

Boomerangs have different designs, depending on purpose. Some were heavy, didn't return, but designed to break the legs of the running game, like 'roos or emus. Returning ones were good at swirling through flocks ...

If the description should say " ... genuine Australia aboriginal item ... ", well I'd be wary of that fact. Smile

Laughing now, remembering an Aussie 60's hit song 'My Boomerang Won't Come Back" by Charlie Drake ...

And keep practicing ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
I remember playing with these when I was younger. They were pretty fun and safe and worked well.

Aerobie Orbiter Boomerang

I have the circular version of this. You can toss one of those a looooong way. Pretty sturdy as well.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those Aerobie ones are good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I remember having a thing called a "Yo-ho" back in the 1960s, that was a three blade "boomerang" (more like a propeller).

It was blue, styrene and they also were yellow and red.

Thing was terrific flying and I found that if I held it about 60 degrees and threw it like I was trying to stick in in the ground about 15-20 feet in front of me, it would roll to 0 degrees, then go along about a foot off the ground out nearly 50-75 yards, then climb and make a counterclockwise circle in about a 100 yard path and return to near where I was standing. Within about 20 feet.

I lost two of them on roofs in the projects I lived in. Three story buildings, so no getting them back. The last one I had for quite a while until I stepped on it by accident.

But it was one of the coolest toys I ever had.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
what do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?

a stick

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had a boomerang when I was a kid.

I got tired of playing with it and tried to throw it away. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out this guy's website. He came and talked to my kid's Cubscout den and I was impressed. We bought several of his indoor units and they work as advertised.

http://www.broadbentboomerangs.com/

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Be careful. It may come back to haunt you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Roger that! The instructions say "Once thrown, don't take your eye off the boomerang"

I was thinking maybe a bike helmet as well!

Or, maybe a hockey helmet. One with an attached eye shield.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A helmet? Careful you don't make these kids look like dweebs in front of their friends.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
And a helmet too.

That was going to be my suggestion.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.karatemartstore.com/headgear.html

every summer we got the boomers out, for about two hours,
by that time each of us had three very close calls and we had a long full life ahead of us.

for six years none of us had given any kind of thought to what was on the roof of the jr. high school, where we played softball, football and threw stuff , in general.

then one day glen tossed the boomerang up on the roof.

well in 25 minutes, the 6 of us figured out a way to get up on the roof.

Bill got up there and tossed down three soft balls , two baseballs, a frisbee, the rang , four golf balls, a super ball, a full can of beer, a rubber utility ( kick) ball.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This guy lives in my hometown and used to have classes through the parks and rec department every summer where kids built their own boomerang. I went to it several summers in a row growing up. You'll be hard-pressed to find a nicer guy or someone that knows more about boomerangs.

http://www.leadingedgeboomerangs.com/index.html

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post