SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2019 Ford Ranger revealed today
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 Ford Ranger revealed today Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Still hoping for the rumored 5-cyl turbo diesel. That paired with a manual transmission would make a nice package.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Still hoping for the rumored 5-cyl turbo diesel. That paired with a manual transmission would make a nice package.

Yes it would.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have the 3.5 twin turbo Eco Boost in my 2016 Expedition. I was leery of such a small 6 cylinder in a big suv but it's proven itself.
I have yet to find myself wanting more power and I have pulled some decent loads.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gotta keep getting better and better fuel mileage out of vehicles, or else the planet is gonna implode.

And then...when vehicles are fuel efficient and use less fuel, they can do like Ca and raise the taxes on gas/diesel at the pump because now they’re not getting enough revenue for whatever.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

Yes it would.

I'm just hoping manual will be an option. I suspect it won't.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
quote:

Yes it would.

And when the salesman tells me nope, they don't offer a manual as an option, that's when I turn around and walk out of the dealership and across the street to the Tacoma dealer.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
quote:

Yes it would.

If..if there's a MT option, it'll probably be in the least-desirable configuration; 4X2 regular cab XL. I think that manufacturers do stuff like this so when few get a vehicle like this, they can say "We offered it, but nobody wanted it".

That aside, it's easier to deal with emissions with an automatic. Easier to build with only one transmission. Honestly, they're better off-road in most circumstances. More accommodating of those with disabilities. IOW, it ain't gonna happen.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What made the Ranger interesting was that it was the only small pickup remaining on the market. Now it has grown to the size of the Tacoma, Frontier, and the Chevy Colorado. Some people still want a small vehicle with a cargo bed.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Reminds me a lot of a Tacoma or Tundra

Ummmm HOW? it looks exactly like it's big brother, the F150.

Toyota has often mimicked Ford for styling

wish someone would come out with a true small pickup, the new Tacos' are roughly the size of my 2000 Tundra,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Reminds me a lot of a Tacoma or Tundra

Ummmm HOW? it looks exactly like it's big brother, the F150.

Toyota has often mimicked Ford for styling

wish someone would come out with a true small pickup, the new Tacos' are roughly the size of my 2000 Tundra,,

One of my neighbors has a Nissan Titan. The side view, including the location of the badging, is so close to Ford’s that it’s hard to tell what it is until you’re right on top of it.

Our son just traded off his 2002 Ranger. He had it since 2010 and drove it for 100k miles. Ultra reliable, just a good, basic, manual transmission, small truck.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe it has been confirmed that the 2018 Expeditions will have a diesel version, so there might be hope. There definitely would have been a diesel version if it weren't for the EPA and their BS you have to add to diesels now to make them pass current smog laws.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I have the 3.5 twin turbo Eco Boost in my 2016 Expedition. I was leery of such a small 6 cylinder in a big suv but it's proven itself.
I have yet to find myself wanting more power and I have pulled some decent loads.

Your engine has a hell of a lot more power than the 5.4 liter v8 that it replaced, that's in my 2008 expedition. I've driven them back to back and it's night and day, how much more power the new expeditions have with the 3.5

Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
The front end looks like a cross between a Toyota and a Range Rover to me.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Just give me a stripped down, non-driver assisted, lever activated 4x4, truck with a manual that does not cost 30k.
Bingo! That's what I'm interested in. Not some ridiculous 10 speed automatic. Roll Eyes
Years ago, before the complications of age and medical considerations kicked in, I would never even consider an automatic transmission. It was a deal killer.

Now, intermittent lower back, hip, and knee problems make it difficult at times to use a clutch. That, plus the fact that automatics are now much more reliable and much more efficient than they were twenty or thirty years ago, makes the automatic a practical choice for me.

If I were younger and in good condition, with body parts that have not outlived their warranty, I'd probably go for the manual.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30646 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Just give me a stripped down, non-driver assisted, lever activated 4x4, truck with a manual that does not cost 30k.
Bingo! That's what I'm interested in. Not some ridiculous 10 speed automatic. Roll Eyes
Years ago, before the complications of age and medical considerations kicked in, I would never even consider an automatic transmission. It was a deal killer.

Now, intermittent lower back, hip, and knee problems make it difficult at times to use a clutch. That, plus the fact that automatics are now much more reliable and much more efficient than they were twenty or thirty years ago, makes the automatic a practical choice for me.

If I were younger and in good condition, with body parts that have not outlived their warranty, I'd probably go for the manual.

In addition to that. The new automatics are the wave of the future. They're a lot more efficient, the vehicles are faster, and even better off road and on road than the manuals. It's a lot easier to slowly put power to the wheels without breaking them loose with an automatic when off roading or pulling a heavy load like a boat up a boat ramp.

The semi-trucks are all going automatic and they hold up, the trucks are more efficient and accelerate better than the manual versions and it's a lot easier on the drivers in stop and go traffic.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Looks like a new Taco banged an F150.

quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
What made the Ranger interesting was that it was the only small pickup remaining on the market. Now it has grown to the size of the Tacoma, Frontier, and the Chevy Colorado. Some people still want a small vehicle with a cargo bed.

Tacomas used to be smaller, too. I had a 1996 that was the same size as the old Rangers. My 2016 Taco is definitely larger, but still shy of a full size. I'm happy.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We've seen a number of Ford Rangers, similar to the photo, driving around Mexico the last few years. They were head turners - both because of their looks and because of their absence in the US for the past decade or so.

I had a one of the last Rangers sold in the US. I lived on a gravel road about a mile long. Shortly after I bought the truck, I felt the Ranger was too unstable for my 17 year old son to drive on the mile of gravel. I sold it and replaced it with a Dodge Dakota that was far, far better on the gravel.

A week after I made the trade, a rancher friend of mine called from the dealership asking why I sold a relatively new truck. I told him, knowing he lived on a long gravel road.

He bought he truck anyway and a few weeks later called to tell me his teenaged son rolled the truck on the gravel. Luckily the boy was OK but the Ranger was toast.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

In addition to that. The new automatics are the wave of the future. They're a lot more efficient, the vehicles are faster, and even better off road and on road than the manuals. It's a lot easier to slowly put power to the wheels without breaking them loose with an automatic when off roading or pulling a heavy load like a boat up a boat ramp.

And those of us who prefer a manual don't care about any of that. I guess some will just never understand.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

A perfectly valid and good reason why automatics are necessary as an option (or should be an option; not standard).

Anyway, you guys don't need to hear me go on yet another rant about manuals and automatics.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
How do these 10-speed trannys work in real-world conditions, when carrying or hauling a load close to or at max weights?

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I got my Canyon and didn't wait.

as to anyone who's worried about the 10 speed transmission, it's only got more gears not less stout gears.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post