SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any RAD TECHS in here ???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any RAD TECHS in here ??? Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
Considering a career change in the next few years.. considering RADTECH. I already have an AS degree and looking to make this move over the next3-4 years, my only choice for school is on line training right now.
I want to work maybe in the med field but not as a nurse. Would like to make 40-60k a year.

thoughts??

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3317 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've worked in a hospital for 40+ years but not in Radiology, so these are just my impressions... The folks in that dept. ( in general)tend to appear fairly happy with what they do.

They have an important job and know it and take pride in it. If I were going to change professions...radiology would be one that I would have looked at.

I know nothing about their training or income. You would most likely end up working various shifts , especially at first. You do need to have a certain amount of sympathy for the sick, those in pain , elderly or children...gentleness is much appreciated by patients.

Best wishes

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I feel pretty confident you'd be in that $ range. At least in the our region/market.

Posts: 11376 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
I am in NE Texas, that seems to be the local salary range

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Posts: 3317 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I worked as a Rad Tech/Nuc Med Tech for 42 years. Got my core schooling and clinical training in the military with night classes for the humanities part of the degree. Civilian schooling/clinical training is about 2 to 3 years. Retired from the Army in 1995 and retired from the civilian sector in 2018. Really enjoyed the field, especially when I got into Nuclear Medicine. My top earning before the economic crunch of 2007 was $108,000/year. That was with a full 40hr work week with overtime and on-call pay and call-back pay. Worked hard for that and hardly saw home. When I retired most places were hiring part time or PRN which is a fancy term for on call/standby. And if you were lucky to be considered full time they would send you home for a short day if there were no full schedule or patients. Looks like patient loads are picking up again though. Most people think that Radiology is a clean field in the medical world. No, far from it. You get bled on, puked on, pissed and shit on in the performance of your job. So if you are squeamish of bodily fluids, blood guts and gore then this is not the field for you Smile

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My cousin is a Rad Tech... when I want to piss her off I tell her to go take someone's xray. That doesn't usually work out for me!

On a serious note, she's been at it a while and is in a senior position. Was making full time pay on part time hours, and was very in demand.

I don't see an issue with the desired salary range, based on discussions I've had with her. It really will depend on how saturated your local area is.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you are in Texas but if you are close to the gulf coast I would consider a year of training for one of the crafts in the chemical plants and refineries. Instrument and analyzer techs make way more than that. An "A" tech makes around 85k base and with OT will easily make over 100k.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to try and specialize in one of the other fields such as Ultrasound, CT/MRI, Angio, Cath, etc. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine went from Respiratory Therapy to Nuclear Med. He's been very happy with his choice and seems to be doing quite well for himself.

A text to him says that is a reasonable expectation for salary. (Central Florida)

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
In my world, a Rad Tech is someone who makes sure I'm not getting contaminated while I do my job at one of the three DOE facilities in Oak Ridge. They walk around with a geiger or other type of meter/detector and scan things and people. Or they take swabs of equipment and take it (the swab) back to a trailer to do a count. They make decent money.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get your degree then try to get on at a nuclear power plant . Big money , especially during turnarounds .

Posts: 4044 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
My father has trained rad techs for the past 35 years, at least. He also authors one of the major textbooks in the field. I'm sure he would be willing to talk to you about trends in the field. Let me know if you're interested.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
I worked as a Rad Tech/Nuc Med Tech for 42 years. Got my core schooling and clinical training in the military with night classes for the humanities part of the degree. Civilian schooling/clinical training is about 2 to 3 years. Retired from the Army in 1995 and retired from the civilian sector in 2018. Really enjoyed the field, especially when I got into Nuclear Medicine. My top earning before the economic crunch of 2007 was $108,000/year. That was with a full 40hr work week with overtime and on-call pay and call-back pay. Worked hard for that and hardly saw home. When I retired most places were hiring part time or PRN which is a fancy term for on call/standby. And if you were lucky to be considered full time they would send you home for a short day if there were no full schedule or patients. Looks like patient loads are picking up again though. Most people think that Radiology is a clean field in the medical world. No, far from it. You get bled on, puked on, pissed and shit on in the performance of your job. So if you are squeamish of bodily fluids, blood guts and gore then this is not the field for you Smile

excellent advice, this is exactly what i was looking for

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
My father has trained rad techs for the past 35 years, at least. He also authors one of the major textbooks in the field. I'm sure he would be willing to talk to you about trends in the field. Let me know if you're interested.

thank you sir, I appreciate that

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

posted Hide Post
Rad Techs or any imaging technologist education
will not be 100% on line. You’ll need clinical time to learn how to image various age, size, etc patients.
Consider ultrasound and specialize. There are several certifications, I’d recommend looking into cardiac-vascular. You can make good money in a Cardiologist office with much better conditions and benefits than a hospital and more respected. No weekends/holidays/on-call.
I direct multiple other depts too, Sleep lab, Physical therapy, Resp therapy, etc so pm me if I can be of further assistance.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
In my world, a Rad Tech is someone who makes sure I'm not getting contaminated while I do my job at one of the three DOE facilities in Oak Ridge. They walk around with a geiger or other type of meter/detector and scan things and people. Or they take swabs of equipment and take it (the swab) back to a trailer to do a count. They make decent money.

Same in my world. Not DOE, but remediating a former depleted uranium manufacturing facility. My RSO is a CHP (health physicist), and has several rad techs working for him.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScooterX:
will not be 100% on line. You’ll need clinical time to learn how to image various age, size, etc patients.
Consider ultrasound and specialize. There are several certifications, I’d recommend looking into cardiac-vascular. You can make good money in a Cardiologist office with much better conditions and benefits than a hospital and more respected. No weekends/holidays/on-call.
I direct multiple other depts too, Sleep lab, Physical therapy, Resp therapy, etc so pm me if I can be of further assistance.

I would second this, sonography is a 2 year degree program and great money right out of school. Also, cardiac is a great choice as well as it keeps you on the north end of the patient. It’s all fun and games until your on the business end of the trans rectal probe Eek

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:

As a cardiologist, I've worked with "echo techs" for decades. Compared with a lot of other paramedical fields, it pays well, conditions are good, there's no pus, poop, or boogers, and as said above, you're treated with respect. Some techs work in hospitals, where there is perhaps a more collegial atmosphere, others in clinics, and some go back and forth.

Plus cardiologists are just a barrel of laughs to work with, and have no egos at all.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump. Good info.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8342 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScooterX:

thank you Scooter, I am 50 YO and will be shifting soon, I suffer from bad sleep apnea (which my cpap machine has fixed) so I know a little that for sure.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,