SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The USS Gerald R. Ford

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The USS Gerald R. Ford Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
I watched Trump's speech onboard our newest carrier and when he mention the number of crew, it gave me pause. Why do our carriers still require such a large crew? With advances in automation, I would think it wouldn't take so many to crew a carrier. It's only 300 less crew than the Nimitzes that came before it. And, ironically, 10 fewer planes.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
I believe Rhino has mentioned that they rarely sail with a completely full air wing, so the aircraft carried number is more theoretical.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some things that automation can't do:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thing automation can't do is damage control. No robots are fixing a missile strike or torpedo hit. These smaller crewed ships will succumb to less damage than a larger crewed ship.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Pardon me?

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
Pardon me?

Is that a Fordian slip?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Those ships operate 24/7 while deployed. They need to have sufficient crew to man every function on the ship in that capacity. That's a LOT of people

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:

Perhaps a zamboni?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
When you think about it...what is really "automated"? Sure there is technology, however, we now need people to maintain/operate that technology along with most of the systems we've always had.

My son just got out of the Navy as an "IT" (Information Systems Technician). Now they have several shops of computer technicians to maintain the thousands of computers on the ship, the computer network, etc. They have technicians for the unclassified side and a whole separate group that takes care of the classified systems.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Plus, all that high-tech stuff needs constant maintenance to work properly. "Automation" is still unreliable (compared to having a manned presence), so they still need warm bodies to keep everything running.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's only 300 less crew than the Nimitzes that came before it.

Press releases said it was 700 less than the earlier class of carrier.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Think of how much automation is necessary to make a fighter plane operable by a single pilot and consider how much that plane costs.

Think of how many valves there are on an aircraft carrier and be able to automate closing and opening every one of them.

Actually, as I'm writing, I'm realizing the bulk of the people needed on an aircraft carrier is maintenance work and emergency ops and support personnel to service those people doing the maintenance and emergency ops capability.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I watched Trump's speech onboard our newest carrier and when he mention the number of crew, it gave me pause. Why do our carriers still require such a large crew? With advances in automation, I would think it wouldn't take so many to crew a carrier. It's only 300 less crew than the Nimitzes that came before it. And, ironically, 10 fewer planes.

The whole less crew smart ship thing is one of the reasons LCS is what it is.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, and of those 1000's, about 110 active pilots. Maybe less today.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
Pardon me?

Is that a Fordian slip?

What you did there...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
The Ship's crew is in the 3,000s. On a NIMITZ class, a fully loaded CVN is around 5500 persons. This includes the aviation squadrons, battlegroup staff, Destroyer Squadron staff, ect. To keep the ship working, the support staff is huge. Mess decks, a fully functional hospital, maintenance shops, those reactors, ect. I know the FORD class has some smart ship designs to reduce manning, but it wasn't drastic like the LCS.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Another thing automation can't do is damage control. No robots are fixing a missile strike or torpedo hit. These smaller crewed ships will succumb to less damage than a larger crewed ship.

This.

One of the hallmarks of USN ships is the ability to sustain damage and constructed to be survivable in the event of combat. Look at other country's navies and similarly classed ships are built very differently than USN ships; USN ships are manpower intense. While automation is fantastic to show off technological progress, it can be a problem when the ship absorbs a few hits, gets shocked from a nearby blast, throws things out of kilter and all that automation...ceases to work because conditions aren't perfect. See USS Stark, Samuel B. Roberts, Princeton, Tripoli, all survived because there was enough crew to handle DC.

There was some pics recently of the new Royal Navy's aircraft carrier, a lot of their ordinance is moved via automated carriages through passageways from it's magazines. One thought was, if the ship took a hard hit, and the bulkheads & deck got warped, those carriages would cease working, thus no movement of ordinance to continue the fight. Maybe they've got some manual failsafe mechanism but, too much automation just means more problems to monitor.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:

Perhaps a zamboni?

A friend of mine works for a company that designed and builds a deck cleaner for the navy. It cleans and vacuums, a carrier zamboni.

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Give it a few years.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post