SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car crash caught on my dashcam today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car crash caught on my dashcam today Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Looks like the gray car was on the wrong side of the road coming around the curve.

On the wrong side of the road at the moment of crash, but that was evidently because the driver swerved to try to avoid the car that pulled in front of him. Unfortunately, he’d evidently never been told, “Never swerve into the opposite lane.”

I wonder if the gray car was exceeding the speed limit. I always thought it was a good law that Missouri had (has?) stating that a speeding vehicle loses its right of way. I.e., if someone pulls out in front of a speeding vehicle, it’s the speeder that’s at fault.

Unless he comes out and admits it it's unlikely that it will be proven that he's speeding. Unless the insurance company decides to send out an accident reconstruction team. Which they won't for a minor accident like this.

Yes the gray car swerved in the wrong direction however he did have the right of way and he attempted to avoid the accident, even though he chose poorly.

The black car's insurance company may be able to argue some negligence minor amount. Maybe 10% if they're lucky.

Posts: 6349 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
The kid may have made a poor avoidance move but the driver of the black car is completely at fault for that

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
The grey car's instinct was to move away from the black car. Black car on right, steer left. It wasn't as though he had a spotter like in NASCAR telling him to steer right. If he'd have braked and steered right he'd likely have missed the black car but gone off roading, or T boned the black car if it stopped. All perfect 20/20 hindsight.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Did the LEO's know you had video?

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
People have very bad luck when you record them with your dash cam.

This is probably the 3rd or 4th dash cam video you've posted (that I can remember).

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I'd say he moved left thinking the black car "finally" saw him and would stop, not speed up and try to cross the road in front of him. I don't think the gray car was speeding.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Heck, I've got so much video of stupid people doing stupid shit, I don't even bother anymore.

Saw this couple of idiots passing in the emergency lane plowed into a disabled box truck last month.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/B76E2gFk-i4

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Mars, what kind of camera are you using. The video quality is great.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Southern Bell

Slight thread drift, That is the company that I retired from!!

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
No Ladas here... Razz

Well you know what the Russkies say....

... sooner or lada... it's your turn in the barrel.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience is that, more often than not, people veer the "wrong" way. I think it's the natural desire to go "away" from the other vehicle, but it always puts them in a worse spot. I remember a fatality where a car crossed the median and a truck driver on the other side went right to try to miss her, but ended up hitting her square right on the lane divider line. Both vehicles ended up in the ditch, the car burned, and the driver died. Had the truck driver gone left there wouldn't have been a crash, had he gone straight, he probably would have barely struck the car. He probably had all of about a second to OODA.

And there was a discussion about speed in this video. Speed of the car could be easily calculated using reference points on the video, taking a single measurement of those points, figuring out the frame rate, and doing time/distance. No reconstruction needed.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
Mars, what kind of camera are you using. The video quality is great.

Garmin DriveAssist 50

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The black car seems to head to its left a bit as it pulls out. I'm thinking the driver of the black car was planning to turn left on the road SC was on, was looking to the right at SC, focused on getting out ahead of SC and didn't see the gray car.

They gray car doesn't start out on the wrong side of the road. It passes two on coming vehicles in the curve just fine. I don't believe the kid swerved to his left. He was already turning through a left hand curve and when he slammed on the brakes, the back end swung around and the car heads to the inside of the turn. It would be interesting the see the gray car's skid marks.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
No Ladas here... Razz

Bailey Waters Rd. & 136?

Bingo.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
Did the LEO's know you had video?

I gave a statement and they watched the video.
All of the Deputies know me here.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The black car seems to head to its left a bit as it pulls out. I'm thinking the driver of the black car was planning to turn left on the road SC was on, was looking to the right at SC, focused on getting out ahead of SC and didn't see the gray car.

They gray car doesn't start out on the wrong side of the road. It passes two on coming vehicles in the curve just fine. I don't believe the kid swerved to his left. He was already turning through a left hand curve and when he slammed on the brakes, the back end swung around and the car heads to the inside of the turn. It would be interesting the see the gray car's skid marks.

I thought the grey car locked his brakes up and slid, and since he was already turning his back end came around. Had to watch it a couple of times to see it though.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's either a really good thing, or a really bad thing... Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

That's either a really good thing, or a really bad thing... Big Grin

Both... Big Grin

Shaman
posted Hide Post
That silver car blends in with the road very well
Making it difficult to see at a distance

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought the grey car locked his brakes up and slid, and since he was already turning his back end came around. Had to watch it a couple of times to see it though.

Yep. He locks 'em up, ass end pops out, he tries to correct and heads right for the black car.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post