Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New gun-itis Login/Join 
posted
What is it about buying a new rifle, pistol or shotgun that just brings instant gratification?
Lately I have found myself itching for something new or new to me. I have kept myself buying cases of ammunition and magazines but have not purchased any new firearm.
Got my bonus at work last month and paid off the car(great feeling) and bought a smoker. No firearm.
Perused the classified section here and there are a few pistols I emailed about and one I'm absolutely drooling over. Haven't pulled the trigger(pun intended) on any of them.
My mind shifts to, "I really don't need that".
Years ago I considered myself a "pistol whore" and bought all kinds. My safe was literally pouring over with pistols. Now I have 3 that I carry depending on the season. A few collectibles but those are purely safe queens and rarely see the light of day.
Not gonna lie, I'm itching for something new in the safe to keep the Glocks and the Kahr company.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve been jonesing for a 303 no.4 for about three months....I’ve owined three in my lifetime and can’t figure out why I sold them...

I get it

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I almost bought a Garand two weeks ago. Asking price was too high for what it was and I resisted temptation. I’ll buckle soon enough though.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
November is a very dangerous month

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I almost bought a Garand two weeks ago. Asking price was too high for what it was and I resisted temptation. I’ll buckle soon enough though.

Same here, gun stores always want to take you to the cleaners on them. One day I’ll break down and join the cmp and get one

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:

Same here, gun stores always want to take you to the cleaners on them. One day I’ll break down and join the cmp and get one

The gun store just had it on consignment, he didn’t set the price. The owner agreed with me that it wasn’t a $1000 gun. Both it and the M1 carbine sold in less than a week though. *shrug*

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I exercised restraint. I'm so proud of myself for once. I ended up with $500 unexpectedly, within days a buddy of mine texted me that a mutual friend who is dying is trying to get rid of his PCC. $800 gun for $500 and very lite use. In middle of kitchen remodel to be followed immediately by bathroom remodel. I'm putting into savings instead. I'd really like to have the PCC, especially since it was owned by a friend with very little time left on the planet. For once I am making the right decision, but it pains me to so.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Got my bonus at work last month and paid off the car(great feeling) and bought a smoker. No firearm.

Moderation in everything. Yeah, "shiny" new firearms are wunnerful, but ya gotta take care of business and, I know this may be blasphemy, here, but there are Other Things Smile

quote:
My mind shifts to, "I really don't need that".

Beyond "reasonably" equipping one's self for self-defence, food acquisition (for some), etc.: Nobody needs more firearms. Want, now, is another thing entirely.

I've had my eye on a 1911 in 10mm for some time, now. (Probably a Ruger SR1911.) And I'd really like to have a P229 DA/SA in 357 SIG. I will acquire each in good time. Do I need them? Hardly. But I want them, and, when I can afford them, I will have them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Last night I purchased my first new firearm in over a year, so I know how you’re feeling. I got one of those desert-tan NRA P365 pistols. A whole year is a record for me.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
When the price of new pistol is out of reach, I'll usually buy a conversion barrel and some extra mags.

It sometimes helps.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Moderation in everything. Yeah, "shiny" new firearms are wunnerful, but ya gotta take care of business and, I know this may be blasphemy, here, but there are Other Things Smile

I stopped in my LGS today as it's been a while. I know the owner well as we went to high school together.
They had the new Hellcat and I fondled that a little. Neither the Springfield or Sig 365 do anything for me really.
Nothing really new or exciting that I saw. I didn't leave empty-handed though. Another case of 9mm. Big Grin
Now up to 12K 9mm and about 5K on 223. Could be worse I guess.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I've not had a hankering for anything till I picked up the G17 gen 5. I was doing like you and buying ammo. Problem is I shoot it up about 1500 rounds per month. I just bought another case today and went through 350 rounds in the 17g5 this afternoon...
More ammo at the end of the month!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
I've not had a hankering for anything till I picked up the G17 gen 5. I was doing like you and buying ammo. Problem is I shoot it up about 1500 rounds per month. I just bought another case today and went through 350 rounds in the 17g5 this afternoon...
More ammo at the end of the month!

Nice.
It has probably been about a month since I've been shooting. A lot of shit went down in the past month and I've been less than motivated.
Perhaps I do need something new to get me in the back acreage shooting?

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is it about buying a new rifle, pistol or shotgun that just brings instant gratification?

Well, if you have to ask? Razz

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
Will power....

I am lacking it. Freakin pawn shop 2 miles down the road got me for 2 guns in the last couple of weeks. Got a S&W 38-2 for $250 and a 610-3 for $799. Then my uncle calls me looking to get rid of his guns. That was a trip to Miami and $1k lighter. But, I did get my grandfather’s beretta 70s and a couple other guns.

Posts: 178 | Location: St. Petersburg FLorida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a medical professional, “-itis” is a suffix for inflammation, i.e. a pathological condition.
I think the suffix that might be more appropriate is “-phoria”. Big Grin

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
November is a very dangerous month

Is it ever!

After having been "celibate" for about a year, I broke down and bought not only a new gun (SIG P365) but a new guitar as well (G&L ASAT Junior II).

Add two magazines for the SIG and a case for the geet, and November is emptying my pocket noticeably.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jman78:
Will power....

I am lacking it. Freakin pawn shop 2 miles down the road got me for 2 guns in the last couple of weeks. Got a S&W 38-2 for $250 and a 610-3 for $799. Then my uncle calls me looking to get rid of his guns. That was a trip to Miami and $1k lighter. But, I did get my grandfather’s beretta 70s and a couple other guns.

Which Beretta 70s did you get, if I may ask?

The Beretta 70 series, made in Italy was my favorite.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last firearm purchase was a Sig P238, a couple of months ago. I rationalized my P224 shows too much in some of my jeans pockets. That said, I'll be focusing on ammunition and a few metal magazines...although I admit to lusting after a SCAR 17 Wink

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:

I have just one, but it's not original--has been converted to removable magazine and 7.62x51. Shoots good, though.

My most recent purchases were a CIM Pistolero .45Colt revolver in February and an ATI FX45 1911 in .45ACP (4 1/4" bbl) in July. Believe it or not, I've not shot either of them yet!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post