SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Feds planting booby traps???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feds planting booby traps??? Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ida...anide-025850761.html

Summary: Feds have been planting cyanide booby traps to kill coyotes. Apparently not widely known to the public in areas where it is happening.

Seems that some dogs have been killed, and now a young boy was injured and sprayed in the face with cyanide.

This gubbermint has lost its fucking mind! Planting booby traps where the citizenry works, plays?

A miracle that the kid is not dead.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Read this morning, can't believe that 1) this idea is even in use, 2) how poorly managed and controlled it is. How many are out there uncontrolled? Does the USDA think coyotes can read warning signs?

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Surefire:
Read this morning, can't believe that 1) this idea is even in use, 2) how poorly managed and controlled it is. How many are out there uncontrolled? Does the USDA think coyotes can read warning signs?

And this is not the first time such an incident has occurred, either! From the article a family dog was killed a couple years ago.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
...dogs, humans...theyre just collateral damage to the eco-left.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
First off these should not be out there at all. Heck I'd probably go kick it or mess with it to figure out what it was if I stumbled upon it. If there was some kind of argument that their use was a good idea (which I sure as hell can't think of), then there should be signs all over the property in large white/red/black lettering indicating that the area had deadly toxic chemicals present and to stay far away.

Besides the stupidity of these things, do they even work? How are they designed so that only coyotes interact with them? Are there signs in bird language, bear language, deer language, bunny language warning every other animal on the planet to stay away? What happens when another animal eats a cyanided dead animal? Does that one get poisoned too? Or maybe just severe liver damage?

I thought there was an international ban on use of land mines? Heck this is both a chemical weapon and a land mine, planted on our own soil by our own government. WTF?!?!?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Do you know what would happen to you and me if we did something like that?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
I've seen these devices in southeastern New Mexico. They were plainly marked and were miles from any houses.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall being warned about them when pheasant hunting in SD. That was 30 years ago, and I believe the farmers/ranchers were putting them out.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Wait. You're not supposed to use cyanide traps for rodents because other animals might eat the dead rats and die, but you can set cyanide land mines????

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
That is just plain stupid and reckless. Who the heck ever thought this was a good idea is beyond me. Stupid Feds. Thanks for the heads up Elk

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
That's fucked up beyond belief. I hope heads roll over this incident and they ban such retarded practices.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Looked up some nformation:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/pub...on/fs_m44_device.pdf

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cincinnatijim:
I've seen these devices in southeastern New Mexico. They were plainly marked and were miles from any houses.

Do not care! It is just plain wrong! there are other ways to control coyote population. And what about all the other animals that "investigate" them?

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Special permits and bounties. There's plenty of folks out there who would be happy to zip some 'yotes for a little cash.

But I dunno, I guess a cyanide landmine makes a lot more sense. Roll Eyes

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
What the eff?

My kids sure as heck cannot read those signs- and I know they'd both "see" what the thing was.

I wonder how long this has been in practice? The article mentions several years- hopefully the morons who thought this wise can be bludgeoned for it.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:I wonder how long this has been in practice? The article mentions several years- hopefully the morons who thought this wise can be bludgeoned for it.

You will be bludgeoning some very old people. I was first aware of them(or something similar) when Reagan was President.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These cyanide traps have been around since the 1960s in Okla. to help control the coyote population. Okla. tried putting a bounty on them(I made some money there), but not nearly enough were taken by hunters. There is open season(at least then)on coyotes. These traps did curtail the huge population of coyotes, and the rabbits, quail, pheasants,etc. returned. The farmers/ranchers were thrilled.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of this.

Is this a topic in hunter education courses or disclosed when obtaining a hunting license in affect states/areas?

So, the government mined some wilderness areas.

Signs fall over. Then what?

If a citizen is not legally able to mine or spring gun the inside of his/her own locked home, how is it O.K. to spring mine an unbounded area open to everyone?

If killer cyanide is left unattended but marked for anyone to find it, how is that a good idea?

Why not use traps or organize a hunt?

I'm hoping there is more to the story. Quarantine of an area for disease control is rational but people would be notified. Apart from this thread, I would not have known about cyanide traps in the wilderness.

EDIT: Given what others have said about how long this has been used and how I have never heard of any human deaths or injuries, maybe it's safer than it seems.

GT-40DOC, I was writing when you posted, got a call and then posted. It seems the locals knew of it thoroughly.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The things have been around since the early '60s, this isn't "news". (the "less safe" versions even longer)

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
On Facebook Daniel Craig is doing something to raise awareness on mines used in war and reducing that threat. I never even in a million years thought that this was an issue in the United States.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post