SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Love yourselves some Tony's Clam Chowder
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love yourselves some Tony's Clam Chowder Login/Join 
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Tony's Clam chowder is the nuts!! I went to order some more and was surprised that they were now available on Amazon. Try some, it is to die for if you love clams.

Amazon wants $65 for 6 15 oz cans that you can buy direct from Tony’s for $39 with free shipping.

https://www.tonyschowder.com/order/

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I’m a big fan of clam chowder and just placed a direct order.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Same here. Hope it lives up.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We like to accompany our Tony's Clam Chowder with a fresh take & bake baguette from Aldi.

Five minutes in the oven, and Bob's your uncle.
Oooh, oooh, oooh -- I just looked at Tony's website. Their new product will be introduced shortly; they are now taking orders for it: Lobster Bisque! If it's half as good as the clam chowder it will be great stuff. Six cans for $42.00, shipped, for the lobster bisque. I have been buying the clam chowder at Publix; I'll need to check with the store manager to see if they will be carrying the lobster bisque.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I was expecting to be informed that they either don’t ship to here or not for free but with a huge surcharge, but I got an email saying it’s already on it’s way via FedEx 2 day. I’m already impressed and haven’t even tasted the stuff yet.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had clam chowder last evening for supper, and it really hit the spot for me.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I buy it at Publix.

I picked up a couple of cans of Tony’s at Publix this afternoon along with some Half and Half and a box Texas Toast-just a few shakes of Old Bay seasoning and I’m good to go Cool...

Edit to add...from time to time our Publix has their lobster bisque hot to go in the deli and it is quite good...same with their Mardi Gras flavored spiced chicken wings or rotisserie whole chickens...I’m “happy as a clam” Wink was when I luck out and find it Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
got me some!!!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony's canned stuff is good, but my big critism is that there is too much sand. When I get old and lose my teeth it won't matter, but until then, I hate grinding my teeth with chowder that has sand in it.

I do make my own. Think I've finally dialed it in.

This pic has a Gaper clam shell visible. These things come in up to 5lbs each. Limit of Gaper Clams is 12 per day but you can also get 20 additional other bay clams (there are 10 specise in the bay we go to). So you can get 20 Butter (aka Marth Washington's/Aka Blue Clams) same day if you wish. Which is way too many for a chowder batch. Oregons annual shellfish license is $10, so, lots of clams and crabs.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My order is being delivered today.
I didn't realize that it requires adding half and half. I guess I have to make a run to the store first.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
My order arrived today but now there’s already one can missing Wink

Tasty stuff. I added the requisite amount of half and half along with whole butter and allowed it to simmer for half an hour.

Saving some for my oldest son so he can give me his opinion compared to what he had while vacationing in Maine this summer.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Thanks fo the heads up- I’ll have to try some. I’m a chowder hound and prefer RI style clear chowder having consumed so much of it but I still enjoy any good chowder and this sounds like something I should try. For those not familiar with RI chowder see link below. There is no hiding shitty clams or low clam count when it’s this type of chowder and of course bacon makes everything good! Love Matunuck Oyster Bar as well.

https://www.10best.com/interes...howder-it-was-first/

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Went to place an order for me and 3 of my friends. Needed an 8 pk. Sold out. Oh well, ordered 2 six packs so now i have extra. Love the stuff.
Well crap, they have a 1 six pack limit. Got refund coming on one of two.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Made some tonight. Came out great.

2 cans were more than plenty for the two of us since it basically doubles in volume due to the quart of half and half added.

Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
Curious how this compare's to Progresso's or Bar Harbor's clam chowder.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to Bar Harbor's quality but, compared to Tony's, Progresso's clam chowder is like comparing a mediocre farm league to a World Series winning team.

I'll still have Progresso clam chowder when I'm out of Tony's but I always add a can of minced clams (and the juice) to help with flavor and content.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Tony's canned stuff is good, but my big critism is that there is too much sand. When I get old and lose my teeth it won't matter, but until then, I hate grinding my teeth with chowder that has sand in it.

Anybody besides jimb888 find sand in theirs? I sipped nervously through the first couple cans after reading his post but it’s turned out to be grit free. Maybe he got a bad batch or I got a good one but for now I’m in love.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice sand when I first made it, but when I ate the leftovers the next night, I did notice grit.

That being said, I'll probably be ordering more sometime.

The flavor did change with the leftovers, it seemed spicier.

Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrToad:
Curious how this compare's to Progresso's or Bar Harbor's clam chowder.

I've been buying Tony's since the first time I heard about it on the forum. It's the best canned clam chowder I've ever had by a long shot. I personally rank Progresso and Bar Harbor about even. They're both very bland compared to Tony's, in my opinion, but as far as canned clam chowder options go, they're still better than most. Tony's is a real step above though.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:

Anybody besides jimb888 find sand in theirs? I sipped nervously through the first couple cans after reading his post but it’s turned out to be grit free. Maybe he got a bad batch or I got a good one but for now I’m in love.

I’ve had plenty of Tony’s and never found any ‘grit’ in any of it. Nothing but smooth, creamy, deliciousness! Tony’s get their clams from a local clam hatchery/grow out aquaculture business. Pretty thoroughly cleansed before use.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post