SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Love yourselves some Tony's Clam Chowder
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love yourselves some Tony's Clam Chowder Login/Join 
posted
Tony's Clam chowder is the nuts!! I went to order some more and was surprised that they were now available on Amazon. Try some, it is to die for if you love clams.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s even better in the restaurant!

Posts: 55 | Location: FL | Registered: May 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
I bet.
But for those of us not close by, this will do. It’s good stuff. I’ve bought directly thru Tony’s and Amazon. Same good product.
If I lived close, it’d be a hangout. Lol

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I buy it at Publix.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
You reminded me of something-

Back in the day as part of the family business we all participated in commercial fishing, from shrimping to clamming, setting and pulling nets, flounder gigging, crab pots on the Outer Banks. We did pretty much everything. A lot of people don’t appreciate just how dangerous and shall we say- close to nature that profession can be...
Sometimes out on the ocean or sound you would get so cold you would be shivering and needed to take a break for some food.
Now we had fresh clam chowder at home, but what used to be a wonderful thing to behold was a warm thermos cup of Snow’s Clam Chowder when you were huddled out of the wind in an open wood flared bow fishing boat- it would warm you up enough to continue working in the weather.

I understand Snow's has merged with Bumble Bee of late. Dunno what it tastes like anymore but on a cold rainy night that chowder stuff was ambrosia…

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My FIL and MIL meet each other while working at Snow's in Scarborough ME.

The newer Snow's is ok, still better than many mass produced chowders out there, but not quite the same as it was.

For reference, they moved production in 1994, so if you've had it since then it's the same, just a few changes to the ownership, but the post 94 receipe is pretty much the same.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I buy it at Publix.

Same. It's good stuff.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I buy it at Publix.

Same. It's good stuff.

It is the best chowder available for home consumption. We too have it on the shelves at Publix.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I ate my last can from last years order two nights ago. Time to order some more.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys really need to learn how to make clam chowder at home.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
You guys really need to learn how to make clam chowder at home.

I have made my own chowder at home, and I humbly say it places 3rd in my favorite NE Clam Chowders. My rating order is The Griswold Inn located in Essex Connecticut, Tony’s (yes, from a can), my own, followed by Iggy’s in Rhode Island.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I was introduced to Tony's via a post/discussion here on SigForum a number of years ago.

I'm picky about my clam chowder. It's easy to find freshly made over west of my location a bit. I've had regional forms of it from PDX & Astoria, south down the coast clear to the Redwoods of SW Oregon. I had home made in several locales around Cape Cod, as a guest of a friend who grew up there. Yes, there are many varieties of 'good' and "GREAT!!!"

I know what I like.

Tony's exceeds all my prior specs by a mile.

Thanks SigForumites! And thanks Tony!!!

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Smokehouse on Rockaway Beach? Maybe it was good cuz i was starving that day....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of New England clam chowder but find most versions in restaurants or from a can to be wrong; way too thick and gloppy and way TOO CREAMY.

A good NE clam chowder is on the thin side and made with milk traditionally, it's not supposed to be a super thick cream of clam soup.

It's random and weird and I've loved getting it there all my life, but Friendly's (yes the ice cream place) has always had a very decent NE clam chowder.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Tonys (from Cedar Key, Florida) first got started a few years ago they entered the clam chowder contests up in the New England area. They won three times in a row and were asked not to return SmileSmile It’s good stuff!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I will have to try Tony's. I'm a clam chowder soup lover.

There used to be a place in Ocoee, FL (just west of Orlando) called Bates New England Seafood & Steakhouse that had amazing clam chowder. Sadly, they closed and I haven't had anything that good since. There is Boston's Fish House in the Orlando area but they never quite came close to Bates. Not sure why they closed, just know that one day I searched for their hours and it said they were closed.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I am a big fan of New England clam chowder but find most versions in restaurants or from a can to be wrong; way too thick and gloppy and way TOO CREAMY.

A good NE clam chowder is on the thin side and made with milk traditionally, it's not supposed to be a super thick cream of clam soup.

It's random and weird and I've loved getting it there all my life, but Friendly's (yes the ice cream place) has always had a very decent NE clam chowder.

I’m guessing you’ve never tried Tony’s because it’s exactly what you claim is NE clam chowder perfection. It is not thick and sludgy like a lot of chowder.

Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Saw a post about this some years back and forgot about it buuuuut, I may or may not have just put an order in for a 6 pack of cans. Haven’t had any decent clam chowder since the last time I went up North with my parents and that’s been over 30 years ago.

Sometimes I hate you guys but I really mean that in the nicest way possible. Big Grin

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Its like yall were well on your way to a nice pot of chicken and dumplings and then went full stupid somewhere along the way. Smile

I kid i kid, never cared for the white variety of chowder but i have had a few decent versions while in Boston and Maine.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6252 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the thing to take away from this is that soup and stews are a blessing.
Pick your flavor- (and share recipes)

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post