SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brand new Samsung dryer not turning on
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brand new Samsung dryer not turning on Login/Join 
posted
Hey All,

We got a brand new Samsung dryer delivered almost 3 weeks ago. It was installed by the delivery guys but we haven't touched it since we haven't moved in yet. Tonight, my wife tried to turn it on but no sound or lights. I verified the circuit breaker was not tripped and power is getting to that machine, I test where the plug wires bolt on, didn't test voltage or amperage though.

I'm going to contact Costco, where we bought it from, but besides that, anything I'm missing? I'm hesitate to crack it open since it's brand new.

Thanks!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
You said you checked the breaker, could it by chance be plugged into a gfi plug thats tripped?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Is it plugged in? Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Did the installers not test it after they installed it?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
You need to check voltages at the terminal block on the dryer. Most common issue I see on brand new dryers not delivered by us is miswired cords, especially 4 wire cords. For 4 wire cords: Unplug the cord and first insure that red is to red, black is to black, white is to white and that they separated the green (or white) chassis ground. If it is wired correctly, you will need to check for correct voltages at the terminal block.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
You need to check voltages at the terminal block on the dryer. Most common issue I see on brand new dryers not delivered by us is miswired cords, especially 4 wire cords. For 4 wire cords: Unplug the cord and first insure that red is to red, black is to black, white is to white and that they separated the green (or white) chassis ground. If it is wired correctly, you will need to check for correct voltages at the terminal block.

I think this may have been it, I was looking at it last night and am trying to remember. I believe it is a 3 wire cord being used but only 2 wires were connected to the back. I'll have to double check, at work now. A Samsung technician will come out but not sure how long that's going to take.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Did the installers not test it after they installed it?

Guess not, I wasn't there

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
You said you checked the breaker, could it by chance be plugged into a gfi plug thats tripped?

I don't think so, it's getting power.

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
3 weeks? I'd let Costco worry with the solution. Only thing is to make sure it's done in a timely manner. Costco generally has fantastic customer service in my experience.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:

Our new dryer was delivered and wired wrong.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the last thing the installer does is make sure it actually works?

I'd be calling Costco and asking for the installer to get back out there pronto.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
quote:

I think this may have been it, I was looking at it last night and am trying to remember. I believe it is a 3 wire cord being used but only 2 wires were connected to the back. I'll have to double check, at work now. A Samsung technician will come out but not sure how long that's going to take.

The installer should send a tech, you need at least 3 wires connected, if not 4 on newer houses.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well this was it, it was a 3 wire cord and only two wires were connected, one had slipped out of the connector but was hidden so I didn't initially see it. Got it connected back up and working like a champ.

Thanks!

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
You are welcome, glad to help.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it working, but I would still contact Costco and let them know about the issue. When I worked in retail, the third party appliance installers we were forced to use caused us more damage and headaches than any other program.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post