SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reverse lookup directory
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reverse lookup directory Login/Join 
posted
Is there a good source to look up the owner of a phone number. I am getting several missed calls, local cell and land line as well as out of state, and would at least like to know a name or if a business or individual is calling me.

Thanks

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think the legit free ones that were available in the past are gone now.
You can Google the number and if it's an obvious scammer there are usually lots of posts showing. Sometimes the owner will pop up but don't count on it.

Posts: 9500 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've got a similar problem and have found out that most of the numbers are spoofed. Bastages they are.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
I've had pretty good results with www.411.com

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Anywho.com has been useful occasionally: link

To investigate if a given number is from a known bad actor, I'll research the number at 800notes.com It won't tell me who owns the number but if there are a lot of complaints/notes there about a number, then it gets blocked.

Posts: 15026 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Robocallers/telemarketers have gotten really good lately at spoofing your local exchange, so they could be bogus. Almost everyone who would call me is in my Contacts list, so caller id shows their name. If it purports to be a local number and I don't recognize it, it goes to voicemail. Most of the time, there is no voicemail, so I just block the number.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
About three weeks ago I signed up for this service- nomorobo. Used to average three to five calls a day. To date, only two have gotten through. There are several other services, but this one is free through my VOIP.

Phone rings once and away the call goes.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post