SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for a car wax?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a car wax? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
You are beyond wax. Time to buff.

I like Meguiars Gold car wash and either Ultimate or Gold wax. Easy on and off.

This it what I use

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
quote:
Originally posted by clipper1:
Nothing beats Rejex! I have used it for more years than I wish to count but if you use it once you will never use anything else again to shine your vehicle. The very best anti love bug ever created.

Thanks for that. I have been meaning to ask the forum about that. I've used it on wheels to keep brake dust from sticking but not on paint.

Rejex is excellent. It's our go to for yachts that get covered with salt water and baking in the South Florida Sun.

OP- if you've never waxed it in 2 years, you're probably looking at some paint correction prior to waxing it. I would clay bar the vehicle at the very least before waxing it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Sorry for thread drift. I've been wondering about this myself.

Have a black 2019 camry. Haven't been washing it much but it's not too dirty. 5K miles over 2 years....

That being said, I was thinking about washing and waxing it. But am confused with new cars and the new coatings, etc. I'm concerned that I'd be making the car less protected if I wax and remove some protective coating.

Should I be waxing the car (I usually use Meguiars polish and wax products for my old cars)? Am I replacing the factory protective coatings? Adding on top of them? Do I need a different solution for newer cars (last new car purchase was 2000).

Waxing ADDS a protective coating, doesn't remove one.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Rejex is a sealer, use it on my motorcycle, helps keep up the shine and remove bugs that hit.

Getting swirls, scratches, defects etc out isn't what it does, that's the stuff (Rejex) you use after getting the paint cleaned up.

Autogeek is a great source for products, tips and videos on how to care for paint. They have a page with videos on the subject, link below.

https://www.autogeek.net/swreandpo.html

Its a three part series, so open it and go to utoob, you'll see all three videos on the subject....

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I agree with jimmy. Use a clay bar first, then polish, then finish with wax or ceramic.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once the paint has been cleaned and corrected, this is what I use:
https://www.griotsgarage.com/p.../ceramic+3in1+wax.do

Posts: 1714 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
Because it is black, I would recommend a professional. Take it to a good detail shop. Afterwards, you can wax it yourself monthly or so.

This! I have four black cars. The first thing I do is bring them to my detailer and have a ceramic coating professionally applied. I wash with plain water and then apply a ceramic detail spray. I have had no issues with scratches or swirl marks.

Posts: 870 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Following, as I'd like to hear if anyone has recommendations for the latest generation of ceramic and graphene hybrid waxes.

I currently have the following products in my detailing kit:

Chemical Guy's Honeydew Snow Foam w/ foam canon and two bucket grit guard.

Meguiar's claybar. CG's Speed Wipe quick detailer as a claybar lubricant.

CG's V Line polish. V32 and V34 as cutting compounds, and V36 and V38 as finish polish.

CG's Jet Seal as a polymer sealant.

CG's Butterwax as top wax.

Lexol for leather cleaner and conditioner.

Meguiar's Interior Detail spray for dusting and wiping down the interior.

Using a homebrew isopropyl alcohol + distilled water + Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo for a glass cleaner.

Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance gel for tires.

CG's VRP cream for black trim.

CG's Orange Degreaser for degreasing, and CG Silk Shine and Barebones for engine, wheel well, and undercarriage dressing.

Separately, I also use Meguiar's Gold Class Quick Wax spray bottle when I just need to hit my wife's car with something after a wash. Looking real hard at Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic spray wax or Turtle Wax's Graphene Hybrid here to replace my nearly empty bottle.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Following, as I'd like to hear if anyone has recommendations for the latest generation of ceramic and graphene hybrid waxes.

This is what my detailer recommended and I currently use. It is manufactured locally.

Posts: 870 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
That's a good article, thanks!

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

I currently have the following products in my detailing kit:

Chemical Guy's Honeydew Snow Foam w/ foam canon and two bucket grit guard.

Meguiar's claybar. CG's Speed Wipe quick detailer as a claybar lubricant.

CG's V Line polish. V32 and V34 as cutting compounds, and V36 and V38 as finish polish.

CG's Butterwax as top wax.

Lexol for leather cleaner and conditioner.

Meguiar's Interior Detail spray for dusting and wiping down the interior.

Using a homebrew isopropyl alcohol + distilled water + Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo for a glass cleaner.

Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance gel for tires.

CG's VRP cream for black trim.

CG's Orange Degreaser for degreasing, and CG Silk Shine and Barebones for engine, wheel well, and undercarriage dressing.

Separately, I also use Meguiar's Gold Class Quick Wax spray bottle when I just need to hit my wife's car with something after a wash. Looking real hard at Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic spray wax or Turtle Wax's Graphene Hybrid here to replace my nearly empty bottle.

I use a lot of the same products. At least to get the exterior clean. I still use 3M rubbing compound for any serious correction, I've moved to all chemical guy pads. If I have to break out the orange...it's a bad day.

I still finish with Rejex, partly because I used to be a retailer for them and I still have most of a case left. Probably a lifetime supply for me.

As far as cleaning leather....I use an old upholstery shop trick. Hypo-allergenic dove body wash, warm water, and a soft-bristled brush. From there...lexol is a great product for conditioning leather. I've also used hypo-allergenic skin lotions, but you've got to test them first. I use a soft-bristled shoe polish brush to buff out the conditioners once they've soaked in. Different leather requires different solutions though. Be very careful around suede.

For plastics I love the tri-nova products. I still have a small bottle of Ameritech plastic cleaner, but that company went out of business. I've made my own by using a little rubbing alcohol, corrosionX quick detail spray, and VRP. The deep clean trinova plastic & trim restorer is very good at correcting blemishes, so is a careful application of a heat gun. I've moved pretty exclusively to VRP for conditioning and UV protection following cleaning. Applied to warm plastic, allowed to penetrate for a few hours, and then buffed dry with super soft (black or blue) compounding buffer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I just got a black bmw X7 an its to be a daily driver in S florida. Think heat and lots of rain =s lots of car washes.
For the first time ever I took it to a pro right after I got it. Did a paint correction and IGL Kenzo for a ceramic, here is a link he did to the car on FB

https://www.facebook.com/perma...2&id=362176141050403

I am very happy with it, car looks great and water beads up like nothing I have ever seen. If I ever get black or blue I would 100% do this again.

Total cost was about $2000

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are better compounds and polishes for same money than CG V-line. Check out offerings from Sonax (e.g. CutMax and Perfect Finish) and 3D (e.g. One or ACA 500 X-Tra Cut).

Same thing with the CG Jet Seal. Scott HD on Youtube does mainly head to head coating comparisons (he's in Texas so more severe weather than you), and it only lasted 30 days. However, similarly priced and less expensive products such as IGL Premier lasted 450 days and Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax last 515 days.
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
...I still use 3M rubbing compound for any serious correction, I've moved to all chemical guy pads. If I have to break out the orange...it's a bad day.
Take a look at Sonax CutMax. It wins most head to head comparisons of correcting wetsand marks and can get out wetsand marks no sane person would leave. Works great with a Meguiars DMC5 DA Microfiber Cutting Discs.

I recently painted a fairing for my motorcycle with a base coat and clear coat. After 30 days cure time, I wet sanded, compounded with CutMax, polished, and put on two layers of ceramic spray sealant. Came out awesome.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna check out the Meguire's Ceramic Hybrid Spray wax.

Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Is Zaino out of vogue?

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
Is Zaino out of vogue?

I used Zaino products for a good 15 years. Used to spend a weekend once a year detailing my vehicles. I found I had to work a lot harder with the Zaino then I did with the ceramic and it lasts a lot longer so I switched about 10 years ago. Great product IMO just more effort than I was willing to put in as I got older. I was into layering their products too so it seemed like an endless weekend.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
For the Op, if you have a black vehicle with swirl marks in the finish then you are miles from a simple wax job. Simple questions. One, are you willing to put in hours of work to get the finish on your vehicle 'corrected'. And two, can you competently run a buffer (rotary or random orbit)? If your answer to either of these questions is 'no', then find a good local detailer and pay them to do the work for you. Black sucks as its totally unforgiving of mistakes by novices. Again, have a pro put your vehicle in good nick, and then diligently maintain it going forward.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm gonna check out the Meguire's Ceramic Hybrid Spray wax.

I got this when it first came out.

A little goes a long way!!!!

I don’t use it anymore. It seemed to attract pollen.

I’m picking up the husky’s car tomorrow. Here’s the before pics of the neglected black paint. This car will never see another car wash while I own it. Foam cannon and bucket wash only. Using Meguiar’s Gold Class shampoo for wash and Meguiar’s hyper detail in the foam cannon. Not sure what my detailer is using for the ceramic coating.

I used Rejex for years until it ran out and someone gave me a bottle of collinite.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Bigdeal, do you still have that beautiful F150?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post