SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this a law anywhere or am I watching too much tv? ( shooting)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a law anywhere or am I watching too much tv? ( shooting) Login/Join 
posted
If three guys are in a car shooting at people, and they end up killing someone.

can all three in the car be charged with murder , even if they did not load/hold/shoot/aim the gun?

or does one guy get the murder charge and the other to get lesser accessory charges?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, they can all be charged with murder if they're all participating in the overall crime. It's not the law everywhere though.

Like if someone robs a liquor store, and the store clerk ends up dead, the guy in the getaway car could be charged with murder. Or if the clerk greases the robber, then too could the driver be charged.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'm not a lawyer and didn't sleep at a Holiday in last night and i believe it may vary by jurisdiction but I believe that all three would be guilty of murder.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing - Yes...accessory to crime.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It's the felony murder rule.

When I did my undergrad at the University of Illinois at Chicago, I was told by a assistant states attorney who was our professor that Illinois does have the felony murder rule.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
...... Or if the clerk greases the robber, then too could the driver be charged.

I love a double happy ending.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
In Georgia, yes.

If someone dies during the commission of a felony, the parties can all be charged with murder.

Even, say, if two guys burgle a house and the home owner shoots and kills one of them, the other burglar can be charged with murder.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
am I watching too much tv?

This, Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

can all three in the car be charged with murder , even if they did not load/hold/shoot/aim the gun?

Yes, Felony Murder rule, if applicable.

quote:
or does one guy get the murder charge and the other to get lesser accessory charges?

I guess that depends on the DA and what options are available locally. Sometimes getting a felony murder conviction is easier than proving something else.

There is a case locally (Oregon) where a guy broke into a house that belonged to his ex-wife's father and mother. His stated intention was to threaten the ex-wife, who he thought would be in the house; she wasn't. He brought a handgun with him when he broke in. After breaking in (ex-wife was not home), he committed a burglary by stealing another handgun from inside the house.

He shot his former father-in-law in the head using both handguns, killing the victim. He also shot the former-mother-in-law, but did not kill her.

At trial, he was charged with felony murder because Oregon allows the DA to charge felony murder if a murder occurs in the commission of a certain list of crimes (burglary is one on that list). He was convicted at trial.

On appeal, the defendant argued that the DA should have had to prove first degree murder (which would have been harder).

The Oregon Supreme Court ruled that the DA did not have to ignore the burglary (stealing the gun) and go for the bigger murder in the first degree charge. The Court held that the DA could simply prove that 1) the defendant committed a burglary, 2) a homicide occurred during the commission of that burglary (and the burglary was the proximate cause, yada yada). It's a much easier conviction to prove than first degree murder which would have required the DA to address the defendant's mental state, including whether he brought the first gun to commit murder or just to scare the ex-wife, like the defendant claims.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Yup. Hell, a guy driving the get-away vehicle in a robbery gone bad can be tried for murder. Been this way for years and years.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule

It is an interesting a complicated legal topic.

Bendable's hypothetical doesn't tell you quite enough, but the felony murder rule can make participants in a felony who didn't do the actual killing guilty of murder if someone is killed during the commission of the crime. As usual with legal questions, there are a lot of factors at play, exceptions, etc.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
They don't even have to know what is going on. Happened here back in the '80's in the panhandle of Fla. Driver had no idea the other 2 or 3 (don't remember which) were doing in the store. Not only robbery but also murdered the clerk. All were guilty of felony murder and went to prison.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Had one in Florida, Cape Coral I believe, where the officer shot and killed the driver and the two other people in the car were charged with murder.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
As my fellow barrister points out, it’s a complicated topic.

For example, let’s say a felony is committed, and then, while the suspects are running from the police, two otherwise uninvolved cars are trying to get out of the way and get into an accident and someone in that car is killed. Should the suspects be now charged with felony murder?

There are other examples, like an elderly person having a heart attack while a bank robbery is committed.

In these examples, the suspect generally completely lacks the mens rea to commit homicide. In the drive by shooting example, all 3 intend to commit murder, there is just one trigger person. In a strictly felony murder jurisdiction, all of the people in the examples discussed could be charged with felony murder

It’s an interesting, mostly American, legal quandary

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_murder_rule

It is an interesting a complicated legal topic.

Bendable's hypothetical doesn't tell you quite enough, but the felony murder rule can make participants in a felony who didn't do the actual killing guilty of murder if someone is killed during the commission of the crime. As usual with legal questions, there are a lot of factors at play, exceptions, etc.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Yes, Felony Murder Rule aka Murder 2nd Degree (someone is killed during the commission of a felony where there was a likelihood/possibility of someone being killed).

Unfortunately, lots of the recently elected Soros' sponsored SJW Prosecuting Attorneys who are believers in the whole "mass incarceration" ideology aren't charging accessories in these types of incidents anymore. See Chicago and St. Louis City, several recent incidents where suspects should have been charged but weren't.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
In Missouri they apply "acting in concert" to groups where some in the group commit felonies.

Back in high school I took on 5 guys after two of them started assaulting a female. All of them were involved to different degrees but they all came as a group, committed crimes as a group, and left together as a group.

All 5 of them were charged with the exact same list of crimes regardless of whether each individually committed it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
In California all three would be charged the same (murder).

If I recall, if you were on the street and defended yourself by returning fire thereby killing one of the passengers, the other surviving two would be charged with murder regardless if the shot was justified.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks,
for taking the time

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post