SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    6 Degrees it's cold !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 Degrees it's cold ! Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
It's -6°F outside the ensigmatic ranch house this morning.

Probably best I don't mention our 10 day forecast Wink

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

I have friends that recently retired and moved to AZ. They like to bust my chops when it gets this cold. In the summer they are pretty much indoors because they can't take the 100+ temps. To each his own. 9F here right now, with wind chill we are expecting -35 F tonight. Wood stove burning, 2' of snow outside, could be worse.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was 10 degrees this morning outside Charlotte. Cold enough for me.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well I heard from a friend that it was so cold he saw a youngster with his pants pulled all the way up.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm roughing it at 76F. High 79F - Low 71F Big Grin

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
According to my trusty Acculink weather station, right now 6:15 PM est, is 21°' wind @4 mph W, with a wind chill factor of 14°.

Last night down to 6°.

Extremely dry here, very low humidity, which is leading to lots of people with sinus problems.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

I have friends that recently retired and moved to AZ. They like to bust my chops when it gets this cold. In the summer they are pretty much indoors because they can't take the 100+ temps. To each his own. 9F here right now, with wind chill we are expecting -35 F tonight. Wood stove burning, 2' of snow outside, could be worse.

110 in the shade is great. Get in the sun, and you fry. Even now, when our daily highs are in the 70's, get in the sun and its radiant energy will cook you good.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is colder'n a motherinlaws heart, brother.
But not here, so far, ha.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
So where’s here?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Might want to avoid Mount Washington in New Hampshire tonight...

It's Going to Be -100 Degrees on Mount Washington Tonight. Here's What That Feels Like

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
The water pipes to one bathroom are frozen. Looks like I've got my project for the day.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Its going up to 54 at mid week. That will be nice weather to change out my cars radiator.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The Delaware river this morning just across from the Philadelphia Airport:

It's miserable working on the river in these conditions. Not only for those working on deck but for us in the engineroom as well.

When you're sucking up this much ice into your sea strainers, it's nearly impossible to keep ahead of it. What a freakin' nightmare.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I think I found a dinosaur bone this morning. After it warms up I'm going to wash it off and see what it looks like.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So: Snow + Michigan = Salt. Lots and lots of salt. So much it'll turn black road surfaces white. There will be, literally, piles of it in intersections. When it dries enough, passing vehicles will raise clouds of the stuff.

I am not exaggerating this one iota.

Imagine what that does to vehicles. I decided "Not this time, dammit!" So I've been pushing my luck, getting the Jeep washed despite the temperatures. "I'll just get out there with a towel and wipe-down all the door seals and flanges after a wash."

That seems to be working, so far. Even in 0°F temperatures.

Unfortunately: Forgot the fuel filler door. Stuck shut Frown

*sigh*...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
it was 5 degrees here in Eastern NC last night.....

at 1030 hours it has gotten to 20 F....

I hate being cold

Once we took another ship's northern patrol (it was broken down and they couldn't get her repaired in time)

I'm here to tell you that being a hundred miles north of NewFoundland in January where the sea water freezes when it breaks the bow is as COLD as I've ever been.

I'm ready for some warm summer breezes

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Might want to avoid Mount Washington in New Hampshire tonight...

It's Going to Be -100 Degrees on Mount Washington Tonight. Here's What That Feels Like

Another Mt Washington article concerning the cold, many pictures.

And people are going up Mt Washington in this weather!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...sNext&pgtype=article

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
So: Snow + Michigan = Salt. Lots and lots of salt.
Imagine what that does to vehicles.
*sigh*...

That's why I buy used cars out of Texas and NOT out of Michigan!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
On the bright side, I haven't seen a mosquito in weeks

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post