SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Proud of my son, Scouting related
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proud of my son, Scouting related Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted
My son has been in the Cub Scouting program for the last 3 years and is now a Webelos Scout ( 4th and 5th graders, for those not familiar). I have been a leader for 2 years, and am now his Den leader and Assistant Cubmaster.

This past weekend, we had Webelos Resident Camp. This is the first camp available in the BSA program for boys to go off without their parents and begin the transition to the Boy Scout camping program. I helped lead our pack's Scouts this year for a 4-day, 3-night camp. There were 3 leaders and 6 Scouts from our pack attending, along with many others from around the country. The facilities included screen enclosures with solid roofs and stem walls for sleeping accommodations. The boys fit in one shelter, the leaders in another.

On the last night, we had an electrical storm, and all had to head into a safe enclosure, which in this case was the dining hall. Upon returning to our shelters, around 21:30, the leaders discovered they had been "pranked." After an exhausting program, the boys fell fast asleep, oblivious to the nasty predicament that befell their leaders. Each of the three leaders found that all of their bed items: pillows, blankets, sleeping bags, etc. had been pissed on. Not just a little, but soaking wet with urine. My colleague had a puddle of piss under his pillow. I sleep with a CPAP machine, as I have severe sleep apnea. My head gear had been contaminated. We reported the incident to the camp director, and they sent people out to WalMart to buy us sleeping bags, so we could sleep. Clean cots were provided, etc. Overall, the camp folks responded as well as possible.

The boys were blissfully un-aware of the miscreant behavior that afflicted us. Today, I decided to tell my son about the event, and use it as a teaching lesson. I told him what happened, and discussed how each point of the Scout Law applied in this situation. He asked me who did it. Of course, we do not know, but we suspect some Boy Scouts that shared the reservation with us. After contemplating our discussion, without prompting, he stated, "I am ashamed of those Scouts." I cannot be prouder of my son, he really understands what the Scout Oath and Law really mean.

He and I did some father-son backpacking this last year, including a 20 mile trip. I am so excited about this coming year as we expand our outdoor activities together and I am ecstatic watching the direction and ways in which he is maturing.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Those weren't "Scouts".

"A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent."

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly, and that wasn't a "prank". Thats despicable.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
There is a definite, well defined line between a prank and a malicious and vicious act.

Pranks consist of swapping pillows, turning beds around, short sheeting bunks, party poppers or confetti dumps rigged to trip wires, switching radios to country or classical music stations, setting alarms to go off at 0222, 0333, 0444, etc. Granted, I've seen some well intended pranks go wrong and yield less than positive results but nothing like that.

I still remember my Webelos transition camp, although it was just a weekend. It was a lot of fun, jam packed with activities that showed you what becoming a Boy Scout meant. Once a Scout I participated in every transition weekend and also had a great time. Yes, there was a prank, every 'Webelos class' went on a Saturday night snipe hunt, that lead to a great campfire, marshmallows, smores, etc. Of course through the weekend various kids were told to go find a leader and ask where they could find 100' of shoreline, a left handed smoke bender, a sky hook, a power bush, as well.

That weekend is a welcome to the BSA, damaging Webelos leader gear is the exact opposite of that message. A concerted effort needs to be made to discover who committed this act. If I was a leader I would say the boys involved and their families need to compensate the camp for their costs, replace the personal gear damaged in the prank with comparable quality equipment, write an apology letter to everyone involved individually and camp, and a 500 word essay on what they did, the impact on the victims, and why the believe they should be allowed to remain in Scouting before being allowed to participate in any Scouting related activities.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Can you get DNA from urine? I think some people need to spend some time in juvie.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Maybe his father is teaching him correct principles. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Call local authorities.

You were ambushed but at least all the Webelos were safe.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sleep with a CPAP machine, as I have severe sleep apnea. My head gear had been contaminated.

The pissing on stuff the camp can give loaners for was despicable enough, but pissing on your CPAP headgear isn't just gross it's dangerous.

As a fellow CPAP user, I can't safely sleep without mine, and also know that germs/contaminants have a direct line to my respiratory system. Glad you didn't unknowingly put on the mask.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Totally unacceptable. My son is also a Webelo, if he or any of his fellow scouts pulled that on a pack leader there would be serious trouble.

That isn't a prank, that is pure POS behavior

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that in most states, intentionally and maliciously exposing another to a bodily fluid is a felony.
This went way too far.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
Exactly, and that wasn't a "prank". Thats despicable.

I agree. At first, I thought it was the OP's group doing a counter-prank but the urine doesn't pass the smell test of a prank.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is not a prank. That's malicious.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it was no prank, that is why I put the word in quotes in the OP.

We have a Sheriff's Detective in our pack, and we spoke with him. He said there was really very little they could do about it. I suppose DNA, fingerprints and all that stuff could have been tried. But, other than the gross factor, this is a pretty minor deal, in the grand scheme of things.

It was obvious that whoever did it was dehydrated, because the smell was very strong. So, we knew something was wrong before any of us tried to get in bed.

The Camp Director addressed it at the Leader's meeting, maybe one of the Scoutmaster's will find the culprits.

In the end, I am glad it happened to the leaders and not the boys. We try and teach by demonstrating good behavior, but even bad behavior can serve as a learning opportunity.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The "pranksters" were not Scouts. Inexcusable behavior.

Good for your son's comment, and good for you and Dr. Natasha for teaching him and giving him values.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
There's a Scoutmaster in the mix-- and likely the CD, too-- who knows exactly who the little bastards are, or at least, would go immediately to them as the "usual suspects." You're seeing a snapshot-in-time of bad behavior. They've been living with it for however long the miscreants have been members.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Other than the urine part, sounds like a great time!

My 6YO just finished Lions (Kindergarten) and is a Tiger this year. His 1 year younger brother will be in Kindergarten and will be a Lion. I am just glad they will both be in Scouts this year so the younger doesn't have to ask why he can't participate...

We had a small, den "flag retirement" ceremony on Flag Day at the local Fire Dept this year. We've also done car camping with some of the den members. They're just getting started and are excited.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the problem you had but I am glad that it did not sour you and your son on Scouting.

My three boys all made it through to Eagle and it has made a very positive difference in their lives.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Dang man. When I was a scout 'prank' meant gradually adding extra weight to another scout's back pack all day.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A prank is turning your sleeping bags inside out.

That was no prank.

But, that aside. Encourage your boy to stay in Scouts. We found it very worthwhile and a valuable program in my family. And fun!

Be prepared.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Your son is learning what it means to be a young man. Good job dad. He has a bright future. Keep being a role model for him and encouraging him.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post