SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone connector question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone connector question Login/Join 
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted
I need to go from an iPhone to the car stereo so the connector has to be 3.5mm female on one end and Apple Lightning/USB on the other. The reviews on the Apple store’s own website are terrible. 722 gave it the worst review. Only 5 said it was good.

Does the SIGforum brain trust have any suggestions? Apple store price is $9. Amazon was all over the place - all much higher. Quality is more important than saving a couple of bucks and I don’t need the microphone feature. Obviously, the iPhone is the new one without the 3.5mm connection.

THANKS!

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
There exist Bluetooth to stereo system adapters that facilitate playing music from iDevices and Android to legacy audio equipment. This might be a more graceful (and future-proof) way to do what you want, and to avoid the use of cables, undoubtedly more expensive, however.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Considered it but I want a hardwired connection. I find the fidelity to be higher quality.

I already have a pigtail coming out of the console (from the Bose) for my phone but the GF has a new iPhone w/o the 3.5mm fitting and of course she want to play her tunes

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The Apple dongle is fine.

If you go aftermarket make damn sure it is Apple certified as if it’s not it likely will not work.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
If you go aftermarket, go with Anker. Their stuff is very well made. Better than Apple, IMO.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I got a Lightning to 3.5mm cable from Best Buy for about $10 to use in my work car that lacks Bluetooth. Works fine. You could also get the Apple dongle would let you use a 3.5mm cable, but my experience with the Apple dongle has been mixed. I had two of them die rather quickly, but it is entirely possible that has more to do with the conditions I was subjecting them to than the actual cables.

I hate the loss of the headphone jack. I miss being able to charge and use corded headphones at the same time. I know Bluetooth headsets are taking over, but I take long road trips and the battery life just isn't there yet. I drove to Dallas on business last week and had to swap devices so I could have one charging and one playing music. First world problems...

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
It could be worse. My '08 Subaru has 30-pin Male on a 4" cord within a center console. I'm thinking of a $25 Bluetooth speaker powered from the cigarette lighter.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
It could be worse. My '08 Subaru has 30-pin Male on a 4" cord within a center console. I'm thinking of a $25 Bluetooth speaker powered from the cigarette lighter.

I bought my adapter from these guys. They have all kinds of harnesses.

https://www.discountcarstereo.com/

Mine goes from the factory CD changer to the console. Lots of multi-pin connections. I select the music from the phone and control everything else from the head unit. Very ingenious. No separate power connection. Initially wanted XM/Sirius but now my phone provides all I need. Good chance they’ll have what you need.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My daughter has an old car with no bluetooth and no input jack. I bought her one of those fm transmitters. I use the apple to 3.5 cord to hook it to the transmitter and I installed a wireless charger for her phone.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
If you go aftermarket, go with Anker. Their stuff is very well made. Better than Apple, IMO.

-Rob

I second Rob’s take. I’ve had good experience with Anker cables.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Yup. I do all my chargers / cables / etc via Anker.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Anker from Amazon Prime. Sounds easy. Thanks

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I need to go from an iPhone to the car stereo so the connector has to be 3.5mm female on one end and Apple Lightning/USB on the other.

3.5mm female on one end? Your car has a 3.5mm plug sticking out of the dash? The only adapter cables I've seen are lightning --> 3.5mm male. I use an aftermarket one, works fine for playing my iPod tunes over the truck's system.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you go aftermarket make damn sure it is Apple certified as if it’s not it likely will not work.

This, based on my experience.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
I need to go from an iPhone to the car stereo so the connector has to be 3.5mm female on one end and Apple Lightning/USB on the other.

3.5mm female on one end? Your car has a 3.5mm plug sticking out of the dash? The only adapter cables I've seen are lightning --> 3.5mm male. I use an aftermarket one, works fine for playing my iPod tunes over the truck's system.

Male coming off the harness. Plugs into my phone or passenger phone. Android or iPhone. Makes no difference. Works great through CD changer control on head unit. Unplug phone and I now revert back to CD changer. Obviously, the problem is with new plugless iPhone.