SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DeWalt Battery Powered Chainsaw
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DeWalt Battery Powered Chainsaw Login/Join 
posted
I've had my DeWalt 40v cordless chainsaw for about 18 months. I've been so impressed with it that I added the matching string trimmer and leaf blower, so I now have a total of 3 batteries.

Yesterday I took on my biggest job to date. This tree broke off last year about 30 feet up. I took the rest of it down today and cut it into manageable pieces. As you can see by comparing to the chainsaw bar, at the base this tree was close to 16".

It took two full batteries and a little bit of the third. I am very happy with these DeWalt yard tools.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's pretty impressive for battery powered. Looks like about 8 pieces per battery/ 16 cuts.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gotten over 20 cuts per battery on logs in the 10-12" range. This one was a little bigger.

I used most of the first battery just getting this thing down. Dropping trees is not really my thing, so I know I didn't do it very efficiently. There were 22 cuts on this one after it was dropped.

"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup, they are good.

I cut down a few oak trees and a dead pine with mine.

I had an oak that was leaning over a shed. The saw easily cut through it and the 2" poison ivy vine growing up the side. Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
so if you need to cut 2 cords of actual firewood you would need about 50 batteries Razz

That is sooooo much better for the environment. Guess the green idiots have not seen these chinese battery sites. Give me a gallon of gas and oil mix.

Idiots

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I've taken down two trees with mine, I have the Ryobi. I have a lawnmower, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer as well, that all take the batteries. Cordless tool power has come a long way.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
so if you need to cut 2 cords of actual firewood you would need about 50 batteries Razz

I don't cut wood to burn. I cut up trees that fall, or are about to fall, so I can get them out of my yard. For that purpose this saw is more than sufficient.

The convenience is important to me. I don't have to hassle with mixing oil and gas and wondering if it will start after sitting idle for 9 months.

- Benjamin Franklin

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Cordless tool power has come a long way.

It's been awesome for the consumers.

When I bought my 18v Milwaukee brushless 1/4" impact and hammer drill set in late 2013, I paid about $500 and thought it was a good deal. Now you can get that set for something like $300.

The days of NiCd batteries for tools are gone! Those were some depressing days now that I look back at it.

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
For a small project, I think they are a great idea. sometimes in the winter it can be a pain to pull out the gas chain saw and hope it starts. I wouldn't mind getting one to compliment my Stihl.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

That is sooooo much better for the environment. Guess the green idiots have not seen these chinese battery sites. Give me a gallon of gas and oil mix.

Idiots

For me, I prefer gas outdoor power tools. BUT, the battery tools aren't about being green. They're about being easy. For an outdoor tool that you rarely use, or only need a chainsaw (or leaf blower) for 10 minutes use, every once in a while, you cannot beat battery. No maintenance, no old gas to deal with, etc. I have a 56 volt electric leaf blower at a property, the owner bought it for the few times a year he is there. I have a gas hitachi blower personally, and the electric is 90% as powerful, and it blows off the 4,000 square foot of pavers between the driveway and the backyard on one battery, and it doesn't matter if it sits there for 6 weeks without being used and it's much quieter. For serious work, you need gas outdoor power tools. But for small jobs and convenience the battery is king.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I bought a battery chainsaw (Greenworks) recently & have used it pretty hard. It's 40v/4Ah & coincidentally the battery has lasted exactly as long as my own stamina.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
I bought a battery chainsaw (Greenworks) recently & have used it pretty hard. It's 40v/4Ah & coincidentally the battery has lasted exactly as long as my own stamina.

Yep. If I encounter a job that takes more than three batteries, the time it takes to recharge them will be a welcome break.

- Benjamin Franklin

posted Hide Post
quote:
When I bought my 18v Milwaukee brushless 1/4" impact and hammer drill set in late 2013, I paid about $500 and thought it was a good deal. Now you can get that set for something like $300.

Last Christmas I bought a 5 tool Milwaukee kit with 2 batteries, charger, light, circular saw, impact driver, drill, and Sawzall. All from HD for around 450 bucks. Couldn't believe how much power the 2 saws have. We just finished rebuilding a dock and cut all the planks on 1 battery. Probably 80 cuts on 1" x 6" treated corral boards. Last time we rebuilt it all boards were cut by hand. Never again.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I have the 80V kobalt trimmer and blower and have been very impressed.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
I have a gas powered Stihl, but I'm lusting after the new Milwaukee M18 battery chainsaw as a quick backup only because I have Milwaukee stuff already.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the DeWalt 16" chainsaw with the 6ah 60V battery, and I'm very impressed. Haven't got my Stihl out since I got it. No heavy use, but it is impressive!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I have the DeWalt 16" chainsaw with the 6ah 60V battery, and I'm very impressed. Haven't got my Stihl out since I got it. No heavy use, but it is impressive!

I have the same setup. The electric saw is nice for limbing etc.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Pretty impressive for a battery powered saw.

But, for me, part of the joy and the experience of cutting wood is the noise of a real saw, the smell of the exhaust, spilling gas and bar oil on yourself, tuning the engine just right, etc....

For the backyard guy who has to deal with the occasional fallen branch, this would probably work just great, but I'd still take my Huskys any day.

When I fire them bad boys up the neighbors know I'm doing some serious work. Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gspdude
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ryobi chainsaw when my Stihl took 45 minutes to get started, to do a 10 minute job. I was impressed enough that I got a Ryobi hedge trimmer and a few extra batteries. Plenty of power in the Ryobi tools for basic yard tasks.

Posts: 544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post