SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market: What are some stocks worth buying?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market: What are some stocks worth buying? Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
I figured I'd get back into investing. I haven't bothered for years since the wife and I have been saving for a home.

Last time I actually made a purchase, I bought a load of Ford Motors at around $1.80 with my summer job money Big Grin , back when the automakers were collapsing.

What are some stocks worth buying or considering?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
One that I have had pretty good results with buying/selling is JNUG. It's a gold stock.

It typically ranges in the $11-22 pretty consistently. I usually buy when it hits $15 or so and ride it out until it hits $20 or so. Might take a couple months for that to happen, though.

If you're talking long term, it seems that Apple is a safe bet.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Buy companies and businesses that you understand.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a certified financial planner, sit down and discuss your needs, and develop an investment plan that will achieve your goals. Investing is like surgery and dental work-you're better off not doing it yourself.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are some stocks worth buying?

Why in the world would you go on a forum asking for which specific stocks worth buying/investing?
I know there are very smart money folks on here, but no one in their right mind would come on and say out loud, "Here, buy xyz".

Edmond, your mind ain't right. Razz

Q

Posts: 26377 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Will Rogers said, only buy the stocks that go up.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
As Will Rogers said, only buy the stocks that go up.

Shit - I've been doing it wrong. I thought it was "stocks that had already gone up"!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I don't invest in individual stocks any more and I don't use a financial adviser (never have) and the couple I talked too wanted to move my investments from my low expense high performing Vanguard funds into the group of funds they hawk that as high expense and low performing LOL.

Too bad but you missed a historic bull market run since 2008. I suggest you look into opening a brokerage account at Vanguard (my favorite) or Fidelity. Then you can invest in most anything but IMO you might want to look primarily at mutual funds. Any index fund that tracks the S&P 500 has dome very well over the years beating the vast majority of managed mutual funds. They also offer ETFs - exchange traded funds that trade like stocks. If you favor a particular sector you can invest in a basket of stocks from that sector or indexes like the S&P500.

For example here are the top stock holdings in the XLK technology ETF.

http://www.sectorspdr.com/sect.../sector/xlk/holdings

You might want to buy a couple books on investing, such as those by Ric Edelman and maybe others can suggest some titles, to get you up to speed and as always understand the risks and potential downside to whatever you might invest in.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I bought DEFENSE boeing lockheed northrop raytheon
Go Trump!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My crystal ball is cloudy at best.
The truth is that your guess is as good as anybody's. If that scares you that's a good thing.
I doubt that anyone can even tell you if its done going down, if it will be another 6 week, 6 months or 6 years. Lots of people will tell you they can predict the future and charge you money for doing so.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you don't already know the answer to this question, but into a no-load, low fee index fund. Vanguard offers them, but so do others.

In the medium and long term, they outperform the stock pickers.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are here asking that question - you need either a financial advisor you can trust, or exposure to some mutual funds that can be entered through dollar cost averaging. (Vanguard and Fidelity come to mind).

In today's market, the best stocks are not going to be Wall Street darlings. They may may be boring staples that just had a poor quarterly earnings report and got beat up, or undervalued stocks approaching a 52-week low.

Sectors I am watching including Healthcare, Commercial REIT's (real estate investment trusts), and Food Staples.

If I were to recommend a Financial newsletter that is both conservative and easy to follow, check out Richard Band's Profitable Investing. I have been subscribing for 20 years now and the returns, in all markets, have been steady and noteworthy.

Good Luck

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post

https://youtu.be/YXqWDQB0utA

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
What are some stocks worth buying?

Why in the world would you go on a forum asking for which specific stocks worth buying/investing?
I know there are very smart money folks on here, but no one in their right mind would come on and say out loud, "Here, buy xyz".
[joking]TatorTodd "needs" a new P220 Legion 10mm and recommends:

{insert list of stocks TatorTodd already owns}

{insert some gobbledygook "proving" TatorTodd's stocks are undervalued}

Next week sell a few shares and buy new P220 Legion 10mm [/joking]

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd never buy individual stocks again. Mutual finds for me.

That said, Ford will probably never go to -zero- but anything is possible.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'd never buy mutual funds, individual stocks for me. Big Grin

If I were to buy a fund it would be an exchange traded fund or American exchange spider that tracked the index or particular basket I wanted.

Been in the market since 1964 and never owned a fund. My portfolio consists of about 25 stocks and I can tell you why I own each in about 30 seconds. Research Dogs of the Dow and go to work.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Buy Vanguard VTI - You will own 99% of all the US stocks.

Buy Vanguard VXUS - You will own 98% of all the stocks in the rest of the world.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Open a Vanguard account and look at ETF’s.

Vanguard is awesome.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll be the first to tell you a specific stock to buy: U P S.

Reason (and you heard it hear from me): UPS is headquartered in Atlanta. Amazon is looking to secure a 50,000 person employ "other" headquarters. Amazon is buying everything, and looking for its own shipping activity. UPS is Amazon's largest deliverer of sales. Amazon WILL buy UPS and complete it's new "Other HQ" site in the great city of Atlanta, and securing it's own shipping service. Two birds, one stone.

UPS stick will soar through the roof 'cause it's a cash transaction.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Okay, I'll be the first to tell you a specific stock to buy: U P S.

Reason (and you heard it hear from me): UPS is headquartered in Atlanta. Amazon is looking to secure a 50,000 person employ "other" headquarters. Amazon is buying everything, and looking for its own shipping activity. UPS is Amazon's largest deliverer of sales. Amazon WILL buy UPS and complete it's new "Other HQ" site in the great city of Atlanta, and securing it's own shipping service. Two birds, one stone.

UPS stick will soar through the roof 'cause it's a cash transaction.

Uh, nope.

"Amazon’s answer to UPS is reportedly getting its first proper launch in LA"

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3300005734

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post