SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Riddle Me This
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Riddle Me This Login/Join 
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Who gets the ticket when the cars computer system fails and the car is at fault in a wreck?

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
so its a taxi you're after

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Saw a review of a self driving car back in the winter. Reviewer noted that it required human intervention as often as once or more per mile in many situations just driving around town.

If it got confused it just stopped... regardless of where it was sitting at the time, including in the middle of an intersection.

No thanks.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just think that self driving cars are a lawyers wish come true.

Posts: 688 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I have trouble imagining that we will get to a point (at least anytime soon) where the driver does not need to stay engaged and monitor the "self-driving" car. For me personally, I don't even like cruise control as it is harder for me to stay engaged when I am not actively managing the car's speed. YMMV...

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://nerdist.com/trap-a-self-driving-car/

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
I dropped some coin on my vehicle yesterday. No rear wiper, de-fogger. Hooked it to the computer, rear window, which I never open, detected a blockage. So for safety's sake, the computer shut down all power to the rear door.

I can imagine one of these vehicles being advertised to stop in an emergency deciding it needs to stop while going down the interstate hwy at 60 mph.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I have zero interest in a self-driving car. I enjoy driving and always have (except when the interstate become a parking lot). I don't commute so can usually avoid sitting in traffic jams.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once the cars are all networked to passively be aware of each other, they will be much safer. Right now we have a handful of self driving cars in a sea of human operated vehicles. And even then, the self driving cars are all on proprietary systems.

A closer analogy might be the drone "swarm" used at the super bowl. Not only was each vehicle aware of it's own position, but the position of hundreds of other drones around it in a tight formation. All broadcasting the next space it's going to operate in the program. (all in microseconds). Add a human operated drone in the mix and it doesn't work.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
everyone wants these 'self-driving' cars

No we don't.

+1
Damn right we don't. Even for when much of a trip isn't fun in traffic, I don't wish to give up one of my core freedoms of when and where to zoom zoom zoom.

I hope the whole notion crashes and burns. I truly do. It's a selfish wish, I know. But I'll wish it one thousand times again. I despise the whole idea behind autonomous cars.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post