SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Riddle Me This
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Riddle Me This Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
everyone wants these 'self-driving' cars

let me get this straight - you're going to spend $80,000 for a car that you don't drive

why not just take the bus for $1?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Because there are other people on the bus. Wink

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so its a taxi you're after

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

One that doesn't require a shower after.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

One that doesn't require a shower after.

-Rob

And is available exactly when I'm ready for the 50 minute commute does that same boring traffic plugged road.

Don't get me wrong, I'll never trust (in my lifetime) the human-hand-off time when it runs out of options in a wicked dangerous scenario, but it'll get there one day. Also, the roads are so poor in western PA, they can't seem to tell road from berm from rutted parking lot.

But I totally get that a car = freedom of options to the individual, and a self driving car can negate some of the monotony that is driving in many areas, in many scenarios -- particularly long haul highway (Pittsburgh to D.C. for example) or the daily commute (90 minutes one-way 5 days a week, same road).

I find in many ways, that living in the inner city would be appalling. But the appeal of mass transit, taxis and Uber freeing me from the expense, hassle, maintenance, upkeep, cleaning, parking, and just general task of driving is an appealing concepts.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Probably for the same reason why people buy small planes with autopilot. Believe me, if I could take a bus that picked me up at my house and delivered me to my destination, I would. Especially for only a dollar.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
So do you need liability insurance on a self driving car? Shouldn't the manufacturer cover that?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
So do you need liability insurance on a self driving car? Shouldn't the manufacturer cover that?
Manufacturers and governments are ultimately going to decide how autonomous the car owner is as much as the vehicle itself. And that in turn will dictate the liability issue. Will your vehicle allow itself to be operated in a sensor-obscuring blizzard or sandstorm? Compel semi-annual inspections, obviating lack of maintenance?

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei: Will your vehicle allow itself to be operated in a sensor-obscuring blizzard or sandstorm? Compel semi-annual inspections, obviating lack of maintenance?

We may not be there yet, but I have no doubt the sensors will be able to do at least as well as humans at seeing through environmental conditions. I would imagine if you chose to over-ride a "don't go" decision by the computer, the liability would be 100% on the driver.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing self driving for me. Except, possibly, a hearse!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:

No we don't.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
quote:

No we don't.

+1
Damn right we don't. Even for when much of a trip isn't fun in traffic, I don't wish to give up one of my core freedoms of when and where to zoom zoom zoom.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cursed be he who moves my bones!
Picture of showpro
posted Hide Post
They're coming and they're going to be a blessing and problem. Pretty much like everything else, I guess.

I worry more about the impact on the job market.

Posts: 8394 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if its a self-driving car, you don't even need a drivers license which means a 10 year old should be able to hop in one and go to the mall

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
i've come to believe they could be a significant benefit to the handicapped or vision impaired

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think in the future it might be the going thing, but right now I think it is far from becoming commonplace. Just something for the folks who are rich or have nothing better to do with their money.

Posts: 26 | Location: Way Up North, Maine | Registered: April 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I don't want one, nor do I want them becoming commonplace. I enjoy driving, and more importantly, the freedom that comes with it. I'm not willing to give that up for convenience.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Another big f'n nope.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
If it can drive me home from the bar I'm all for it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

these are the same trouble makers that want to spend billions upon billions of dollars to
"visit" other planets to habitat .

Like thats ! ever going to happen.

trains have been crossing the country for a hundred years , yet 1200 people per year still get killed by them .

no one on the face of this planet can stop over population, its impossible.

who are we thinking about populating these other worlds with ? only good guys ? only bad guys ?

the nonsense just keeps rolling, its what we are best at

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post